Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - embe - 10-31-2017

(10-31-2017, 10:54 AM)clasher Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 10:07 PM)Canard Wrote: ...and while we're talking completion timelines, what about Krug?  I feel like it's been under construction since Kitchener was Berlin.

According to CoK it'll be open on the 21st of this month. I imagine the sidewalks are done and open, the last time I rode through there was the end of August... it was a weekend but there were no barriers on the sidewalks.

How City buses used those side streets (which obviously weren't designed for a vehicle that size, especially turning) had me concerned a couple times, but they'll probably be glad to see Krug open again as well.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Masala - 11-01-2017

Regarding the 401 at Hwy 8, I agree it's bad.

Just came off the 401 WB to Hwy 8 late tonight. I rarely come this way, as it is dangerous and usually congested so I avoid it if I can.

The latest changes nearly had me exiting into the construction access gate in the dark. With barriers up close to the lane, a gap where the ramp used to be, with some confusing signs and it is a real risk.

I also really wish people would slow the fark down and leave a little distance in front of them. Cars and trucks alike.

The 401 will sadly claim more lives in the coming year, and virtually all are preventable.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - DHLawrence - 11-01-2017

Between that, the construction on King, Fountain, and Shantz Hill, and the two year bridge rebuild near Blair Road, it's not a good time to live in Preston.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 11-01-2017

I know the spot you're talking about Masala, there used to be a similar spot on the 401 near Milton. Sadly, someone plowed directly into the barrier. They've improved that one since then using collapsible cones to better delineate the lane, the spot you are talking about still catches me off guard each time, though and I'm well aware of it.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MidTowner - 11-01-2017

(10-31-2017, 07:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Speaking of nightmares, that 1.5 day closure of Columbia/Lexington @ Marsland created some chaos.

Just to clarify, I was being facetious. The closure of two lanes of Weber between Albert and Parkside not only didn't cause any traffic nightmares, it had no impact at all. Traffic was free-flowing and those lanes clearly aren't needed.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Section ThirtyOne - 11-03-2017

Anyone know what is going on at the Bridgeport on-ramp to 85 north? Looks like they are doing some sewer work and the ramp has been closed for over a week now. No advance notice or signage, and I still see people trying to access the ramp every day.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - boatracer - 11-03-2017

Re Bridgeport: there were signs up on Bridgeport heading from Lancaster and on Lancaster itself for at least a week or two prior to the closure. Not sure about the other direction on Bridgeport as I don't usually drive that way.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Smore - 11-03-2017

Sod is in now on South side of reconstructed Bingamans Centre Dr and there will not be sidewalks on this side. Bus stop pads however have been installed, locked between 5 lanes of highway and fence....

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-03-2017

(11-03-2017, 08:38 PM)Smore Wrote: Sod is in now on South side of reconstructed Bingamans Centre Dr and there will not be sidewalks on this side.  Bus stop pads however have been installed, locked between 5 lanes of highway and fence....

Please tell me this isn't the case?  This is clearly against city policies, and I'm pretty sure regional policies.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - neonjoe - 11-04-2017

If I recall the Wellington St extension was an MTO project so it’s likely their design standards. For example the traffic lights have the MTO style brackets holding them on the arms rather than hangers used locally.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 11-04-2017

(11-04-2017, 07:10 AM)neonjoe Wrote: If I recall the Wellington St extension was an MTO project so it’s likely their design standards. For example the traffic lights have the MTO style brackets holding them on the arms rather than hangers used locally.

The project is an MTO project but so far as I am aware the local streets will still be Regional or City. This looks to me like yet another example of the double standard, where policies on lane width, intersection size, etc. are inviolate, but sidewalk and bicycle route policies are optional for the planning teams.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-04-2017

(11-04-2017, 10:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 07:10 AM)neonjoe Wrote: If I recall the Wellington St extension was an MTO project so it’s likely their design standards. For example the traffic lights have the MTO style brackets holding them on the arms rather than hangers used locally.

The project is an MTO project but so far as I am aware the local streets will still be Regional or City. This looks to me like yet another example of the double standard, where policies on lane width, intersection size, etc. are inviolate, but sidewalk and bicycle route policies are optional for the planning teams.

Moreover, why is the MTO standard not require sidewalks on both sides of the road, especially for MTO roads which tend to be big highways.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 11-04-2017

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 11-04-2017

(11-04-2017, 11:40 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 10:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: The project is an MTO project but so far as I am aware the local streets will still be Regional or City. This looks to me like yet another example of the double standard, where policies on lane width, intersection size, etc. are inviolate, but sidewalk and bicycle route policies are optional for the planning teams.

Moreover, why is the MTO standard not require sidewalks on both sides of the road, especially for MTO roads which tend to be big highways.

To be fair, most of the road length managed by MTO is rural highways where you would not expect to see a sidewalk.

But regardless, all local roads should be built according to City and Regional policies, regardless of who is in charge of the specific construction project.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 11-06-2017

I saw this along Bingeman Centre as well.... There is a concrete "pad" that seems about 2 - 3' in width adjacent to the curb on the east (south) side.  Is this 1/2 a sidewalk or a cartoonish curb?

I thought it odd that bus bays were on this same side of the road.

Coke