Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 01-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 04:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Weakened countryside line?

the “compromise” the region reached with developers to settle the urban boundary plan. The one we had to spend millions of public dollars litigating. 

It is a weakened plan compared with the proposed one. And I’m pretty sure the massive development going on right now isn’t even part of the argument.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - white_brian - 01-09-2020

Guelph is another place growing in all directions. It has changed so much since we left in the mid 80-s

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Bob_McBob - 03-13-2020

(09-17-2019, 01:48 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: According to CTV, the parking lot was completely empty with clear visibility at the time of the incident. It looks a lot like the victim was sitting at the end of that curb, and the driver was apparently so inattentive they may have actually pinned him under the car. WRPS say there is almost nothing they can charge the driver with because it happened in a parking lot. I guess it's ok to mow down pedestrians as long as you aren't on the road Huh 

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/man-airlifted-to-hospital-after-being-struck-by-vehicle-in-kitchener-parking-lot-1.4593303

Meanwhile in other parts of Ontario, I just met someone who was charged under the Trespass to Property Act for not driving in the lines in an empty parking lot, and the crown prosecutor was actually willing to take it to trial. Unreal.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 01:04 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Meanwhile in other parts of Ontario, I just met someone who was charged under the Trespass to Property Act for not driving in the lines in an empty parking lot, and the crown prosecutor was actually willing to take it to trial. Unreal.

And people wonder why the court system is overburdened. Shouldn’t part of the job evaluation for prosecutors include whether they proceed with frivolous prosecutions? Officers too.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 03-13-2020

(03-13-2020, 01:04 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 01:48 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: According to CTV, the parking lot was completely empty with clear visibility at the time of the incident. It looks a lot like the victim was sitting at the end of that curb, and the driver was apparently so inattentive they may have actually pinned him under the car. WRPS say there is almost nothing they can charge the driver with because it happened in a parking lot. I guess it's ok to mow down pedestrians as long as you aren't on the road Huh 

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/man-airlifted-to-hospital-after-being-struck-by-vehicle-in-kitchener-parking-lot-1.4593303

Meanwhile in other parts of Ontario, I just met someone who was charged under the Trespass to Property Act for not driving in the lines in an empty parking lot, and the crown prosecutor was actually willing to take it to trial. Unreal.

There's more to the story there, I suspect.  I can't see what the nexus would be between not driving between lines and an act of trespass, which is not a driving offence.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MacBerry - 03-15-2020

(03-13-2020, 08:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 01:04 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Meanwhile in other parts of Ontario, I just met someone who was charged under the Trespass to Property Act for not driving in the lines in an empty parking lot, and the crown prosecutor was actually willing to take it to trial. Unreal.

There's more to the story there, I suspect.  I can't see what the nexus would be between not driving between lines and an act of trespass, which is not a driving offence.
Can you say "doughnuts" in the parking lot? or tire burning manoeuvres? .. most likely response by police to poor operation of a vehicle off road

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Bob_McBob - 03-15-2020

I'm sure there's more to the story, but do you think they did something worse than killing a person?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 03-15-2020

Say what????

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 03-23-2020

Very mild news: they are installing a new stoplight at River and Manchester.

A question that crosses my mind every time I go by: the stoplight has been installed for some time now, and just been covered up. What causes the delay from installation to starting the new lights? I noticed that when they installed the new lights at River and Ottawa to replace the temporary construction lights as well. There was a prolonged period where they sat there unused before they put them into service.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 03-25-2020

Potentially need to be wired in and tested for a certain amount of time before they go live?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 03-25-2020

Probably it is more to do with different crews have different tasks (installers vs. city staff to program the lights) and those crews having different schedules.

In other news, has anyone noticed if dangerous (read: excessive acceleration/speed) driving has increased as a result of the decrease in traffic?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Rainrider22 - 03-25-2020

I commute everyday between Kitchener and Mississauga. The drive both to and from work is amazing. I can set my cruise control and not turn it off till I exit. What I have noticed is there has been a few more incidents of very aggressive driving. Guys thinking they can drive at a much higher than posted rate of speed and weaving in and out of traffic because there is more room to do it. But other than that, it is great.....

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 03-25-2020

I've noticed the same thing Rainrider22 with the crazy aggressive drivers.

It's not been as dead as I've seen in pictures on other highways, I think mainly because the truck traffic is still fairly high volume. I've been getting calls from all our account reps that makes me think freight is going to be taking a hit, though, although apparently Purolator is struggling to deal with demand due to all the online shopping.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 03-25-2020

Those tempted to stunt-drive seem emboldened by the more wide-open roads. I understand those sorts of charges have gone up.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 03-25-2020

And guys popping wheelies (on motorcycles) in DTK ...