Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - kzurell - 10-05-2021

(10-04-2021, 01:42 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I read that September 23 news release from the region about ASE being active...Has anyone else checked out nearby cameras recently?

The camera (or at least its flash) at University & Lincoln is very active, at all hours.

Deservedly so: the run up to the expressway is essentially a test-track, so the paparazzi treatment is appropriate.

They could do cost-recovery selling snaps of your favourite racers.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:06 AM)kzurell Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 01:42 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I read that September 23 news release from the region about ASE being active...Has anyone else checked out nearby cameras recently?

The camera (or at least its flash) at University & Lincoln is very active, at all hours.

Deservedly so: the run up to the expressway is essentially a test-track, so the paparazzi treatment is appropriate.

They could do cost-recovery selling snaps of your favourite racers.

That's a red light camera, different use case than ASE.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - kzurell - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:55 AM)timio Wrote: That's a red light camera, different use case than ASE.

Noted. The intersection could use a few of each.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 10-06-2021

(10-04-2021, 01:42 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I read that September 23 news release from the region about ASE being active with great skepticism given I had driven past one of the cameras the night before and it was clearly not active. 1 1/2 weeks later I can confirm both the Winterbourne and Keats Way cameras still have metal plates covering their camera windows and no signage indicating an active camera, and I'd imagine the same goes for many of the 8 current installations. The only camera I know is active is the one on Westmount by Laurentian Senior Public School. Has anyone else checked out nearby cameras recently?

I can confirm that Franklin Ave (Kitchener) and Guelph Ave (Cambridge) are both NOT active as recently as yesterday.  Someone has added them into Waze so the warnings are there already.

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 10-06-2021

(10-06-2021, 02:20 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 01:42 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I read that September 23 news release from the region about ASE being active with great skepticism given I had driven past one of the cameras the night before and it was clearly not active. 1 1/2 weeks later I can confirm both the Winterbourne and Keats Way cameras still have metal plates covering their camera windows and no signage indicating an active camera, and I'd imagine the same goes for many of the 8 current installations. The only camera I know is active is the one on Westmount by Laurentian Senior Public School. Has anyone else checked out nearby cameras recently?

I can confirm that Franklin Ave (Kitchener) and Guelph Ave (Cambridge) are both NOT active as recently as yesterday.  Someone has added them into Waze so the warnings are there already.

Coke

Maybe we can just add warnings in Waze for all the places that speeding is a problem.

But in any case, again, someone is dragging their feet on this.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Coke6pk - 10-07-2021

(10-06-2021, 04:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Maybe we can just add warnings in Waze for all the places that speeding is a problem.

They already do. They are marked as roadways. Wink

Coke

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - nms - 10-07-2021

Keats Way is now active with the cameras uncovered and a sign attached to the post to inform motorists that it is in operation.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Bob_McBob - 10-09-2021

(10-07-2021, 11:09 PM)nms Wrote: Keats Way is now active with the cameras uncovered and a sign attached to the post to inform motorists that it is in operation.

The camera in Winterbourne also has the "municipal speed camera active" sign, but the camera window is still covered with a metal plate. The Keats Way camera appears to be active, but I couldn't see any actual evidence of that tonight. I had some spare time on my way home and sat in the parking lot at the school for 20 minutes, and there were no flashes when cars were clearly exceeding any reasonable speed threshold (the camera by Laurentian PS flashes, and I have no reason to expect the Keats Way one wouldn't). On the plus side, average speed seems to be significantly lower than usual.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 11-04-2021

Anybody know what's up at Charles / Ottawa? The the sides of the road bordering the City Cafe parking lot have been dug up for a week or 2 with Southbound traffic closed. All I can think would be the Ottawa St widening, but it'd be mighty odd to start that in November with asphalt plants closing shortly, and I hadn't though the expansion went passed Charles St

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 11-04-2021

(11-04-2021, 02:18 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Anybody know what's up at Charles / Ottawa? The the sides of the road bordering the City Cafe parking lot have been dug up for a week or 2 with Southbound traffic closed. All I can think would be the Ottawa St widening, but it'd be mighty odd to start that in November with asphalt plants closing shortly, and I hadn't though the expansion went passed Charles St

I asked the question in the Trails thread, and Dan confirmed that we are indeed getting a MUT.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 11-04-2021

(11-04-2021, 11:45 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 02:18 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Anybody know what's up at Charles / Ottawa? The the sides of the road bordering the City Cafe parking lot have been dug up for a week or 2 with Southbound traffic closed. All I can think would be the Ottawa St widening, but it'd be mighty odd to start that in November with asphalt plants closing shortly, and I hadn't though the expansion went passed Charles St

I asked the question in the Trails thread, and Dan confirmed that we are indeed getting a MUT.

The MUT I know about — it's part of the Ottawa St widening at the intersection, and is only going to Nyberg. Still though, i find it odd that its being done now when it was slated to be done in conjunction with the widening, and not til next year

Either way, I've looked up the plans, and it seems to align with the work being done, so they must be starting early for some reason 

[Image: hu08g45.png]
https://imgur.com/hu08g45

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Bob_McBob - 11-11-2021

It's now 1 1/2 months since the region announced all ASE cameras were active, and 2 of the 3 I drive past regularly (Katherine St and Guelph Ave) still have metal plates covering the camera hole, and the third (Keats Way) doesn't appear to actually be doing anything if you sit and observe traffic. I can only assume there are more inactive cameras, so why did the region issue that press release? The whole thing is getting a bit absurd.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 11-12-2021

(11-11-2021, 11:55 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: It's now 1 1/2 months since the region announced all ASE cameras were active, and 2 of the 3 I drive past regularly (Katherine St and Guelph Ave) still have metal plates covering the camera hole, and the third (Keats Way) doesn't appear to actually be doing anything if you sit and observe traffic. I can only assume there are more inactive cameras, so why did the region issue that press release? The whole thing is getting a bit absurd.

At this point I can only believe that people are intentionally dragging their feet on this.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 11-12-2021

The one in New Dundee seemed to be active, although fairly well hidden in the bushes on the side of the road.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ac3r - 11-13-2021

Why America (thereby extension Canada) Is Terribly Designed: https://youtu.be/6K8KEoZwMRY