Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 06-04-2022

(06-04-2022, 01:25 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 10:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It sure looks, uhh, unofficial!

It does appear to be painted with standard road painting equipment...it isn't a spray paint job.

But the location is bizarre...and the marking is non-standard (double lines aren't a part of our crosswalk markings AFAIK). I really have no idea what is going on there, but I don't think it's a crosswalk.

The lines don't connect properly, there are no curb cuts and there is grass on the boulevard. I have a hard time imagining that the city staff actually painted this.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - bravado - 06-04-2022

(06-04-2022, 09:21 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Is it in front of a school? Trillium PS in Kitchener had a similar crossing that ended in a neighbours driveway apron (for accessibility) before they build a new formalized crossing. I believe the originally moved the existing crossing to move it away from a nearby intersection to make line of sight better.

It’s near a school and a church and close to 2 very low volume intersections, but not actually part of the intersections. Quite a mystery.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Chris - 06-04-2022

Definitely bizarre.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer adopts a highway and drives down it removing a lane for more comfort.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jeffster - 06-05-2022

(06-03-2022, 03:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: ----

Off topic: Dan, am I able to send you a PM? I can't see it as an option. I just need some info about The Netherlands.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 06-05-2022

(06-04-2022, 10:45 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 01:25 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It does appear to be painted with standard road painting equipment...it isn't a spray paint job.

But the location is bizarre...and the marking is non-standard (double lines aren't a part of our crosswalk markings AFAIK). I really have no idea what is going on there, but I don't think it's a crosswalk.

The lines don't connect properly, there are no curb cuts and there is grass on the boulevard. I have a hard time imagining that the city staff actually painted this.

Lol...

You have a lack of imagination. There's plenty of "not my department" thinking.

I mean, we have asphalt and concrete trails that were misaligned for years...a decade even.

I mean, I really don't know what's going on here, but I can imagine a city worker getting instructions, looking at it, thinking...that's weird...well...whatever.

I don't know how the instructions get that messed up....

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Acitta - 06-07-2022

King Street and Coronation Boulevard Improvements: Public Consultation #1
The Region of Waterloo is proposing improvements along King Street East and Coronation Boulevard in Cambridge.

This video is an overview of the project, highlights proposed improvement alternatives and offers information on how you can share your comments by July 6, 2022.

They don't seem to have put the project page or survey on EngageWr yet.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - bravado - 06-07-2022

(06-07-2022, 01:08 PM)Acitta Wrote: King Street and Coronation Boulevard Improvements: Public Consultation #1
The Region of Waterloo is proposing improvements along King Street East and Coronation Boulevard in Kitchener.

This video is an overview of the project, highlights proposed improvement alternatives and offers information on how you can share your comments by July 6, 2022.

Just wanted to correct you to Cambridge instead of Kitchener!

With the LRT bypassing this road completely, I think there is a huge opportunity here for cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. If these new MUTs connected to the upcoming MUTs on Dundas and the existing bike lanes on King St in Preston, the major East-West artery in Cambridge would be accessible.

Since Cambridge is so defined by large Regional roads, I hope that more roads get the MUTs seen on Franklin and it becomes surprisingly straightforward to get around town with average to good bike lanes.

Coronation is wide enough to land a plane and there’s no reason why something new can’t be done… hell, I’d even consider sacrificing a lane for a bus lane project.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 06-07-2022

(06-07-2022, 04:07 PM)bravado Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 01:08 PM)Acitta Wrote: King Street and Coronation Boulevard Improvements: Public Consultation #1
The Region of Waterloo is proposing improvements along King Street East and Coronation Boulevard in Kitchener.

With the LRT bypassing this road completely, I think there is a huge opportunity here for cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. If these new MUTs connected to the upcoming MUTs on Dundas and the existing bike lanes on King St in Preston, the major East-West artery in Cambridge would be accessible.

Since Cambridge is so defined by large Regional roads, I hope that more roads get the MUTs seen on Franklin and it becomes surprisingly straightforward to get around town with average to good bike lanes.

Coronation is wide enough to land a plane and there’s no reason why something new can’t be done… hell, I’d even consider sacrificing a lane for a bus lane project.

Sacrificing a lane on Coronation, you'd be accused of literally murdering people who couldn't get to the hospital. Unless it's for construction, then nary a peep. ONLY when you close a lane for someone other than cars...then you're a murderer.

Honestly...I hated that discussion so much...

Sorry folks, bringing back bad memories...

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Acitta - 06-07-2022

(06-07-2022, 04:07 PM)bravado Wrote:

The typo was in the original. I emailed them about it and it will be corrected.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Acitta - 06-08-2022

The Region of Waterloo is proposing improvements along King Street East and Coronation Boulevard in Cambridge.

Here is the EngageWR project page:
Cambridge: King Street and Coronation Boulevard

The Regional Municipality of Waterloo is undertaking a planning study for improvements to the King Street corridor from Bishop Street to Concession Road and the Coronation Boulevard corridor from Concession Road to Hespeler Road/Water Street in the City of Cambridge.

Improvements along King Street and Coronation Boulevard are being considered to address the deteriorated roadway and underground infrastructure, as well as to provide enhanced active transportation facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.

As part of the study process, prior to any approvals, the public and other stakeholders will have an opportunity to review design alternatives and provide input on the proposed improvements. The first public consultation opportunity is from June 8 to July 6 and will be accessible through this Region of Waterloo Engage platform. Please use the Subscribe button on this page to receive future project updates by email and for notices about upcoming public engagement opportunities.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 07-06-2022

Signs up on Courtland around Hayward saying Courtland will be closed to Northbound traffic for the next 6 months. Anyone know the reasoning? Cant find any project info on the city website

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - neonjoe - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 12:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Signs up on Courtland around Hayward saying Courtland will be closed to Northbound traffic for the next 6 months. Anyone know the reasoning? Cant find any project info on the city website

Hopefully it’s to fix the speed of the LRT lol

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ac3r - 07-06-2022

In a dream world perhaps, haha.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Acitta - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 12:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Signs up on Courtland around Hayward saying Courtland will be closed to Northbound traffic for the next 6 months. Anyone know the reasoning? Cant find any project info on the city website

I found the project listed under road closures on the City of Kitchener website, but nothing on the Region's website.

Courtland Ave E - Partially Closed
Hayward Ave TO Balzer Rd
Reason: Other (REGION)
Details: Two-way traffic maintained; expect delays; pedestrian traffic maintained around work zone.
Date: 2022-Jun-20 to 2022-Nov-24

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - clasher - 07-07-2022

Looks like someone will have to break down and call Marc Dompierre to find out the details.