Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - rangersfan - 05-20-2016

Link to the project page :
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettingAround/resources/5376-OttawaStreetInformationSheet.pdf
Summary of the work:

STUDY/PROJECT SCOPE (WHAT & WHY) The project is scheduled for construction in 2016 and 2017 and includes construction of a new road with cycling lanes, curb and gutters, sidewalks and multi-use trails. Additionally, this project will include underground infrastructure replacement of storm sewer and replacement of a regional trunk watermain from Heritage Drive to Keewatin Avenue. Construction on this project is planned for the spring to fall period of 2016 (Highway 7 Eastbound Ramp to River Road) and 2017 (River Road to Lackner Boulevard and to Keewatin Avenue for watermain

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - rangersfan - 05-20-2016

This is great (the addition of more cycling lanes and multi-use trails) . Currently part of this stretch has on street bike lanes that end at the highway interchange. The problem is that the bike lanes will still disappear where Ottawa hits the interchange, so I hope that there is a plan to redo this stretch in the near future. Having a direct cycling route across the city would be excellent if the lanes could be made continuous from ira Needles/Trussler to Lackner.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 05-20-2016

Thanks for the info!

Regarding cycling infrastructure, I wish the region approached the planning of it at more of a network level rather than the current situation which seems rather ad hoc.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 05-20-2016

The stretch from the expressway to Charles is slated for rebuild in a few years. I believe there's info on the region's website about it.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 05-20-2016

I think it was recently mentioned that the widening of the short block between Charles and King is slated for 2017.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Square - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 08:29 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Link to the project page :
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettingAround/resources/5376-OttawaStreetInformationSheet.pdf
Summary of the work:

STUDY/PROJECT SCOPE (WHAT & WHY) The project is scheduled for construction in 2016 and 2017 and includes construction of a new road with cycling lanes, curb and gutters, sidewalks and multi-use trails. Additionally, this project will include underground infrastructure replacement of storm sewer and replacement of a regional trunk watermain from Heritage Drive to Keewatin Avenue. Construction on this project is planned for the spring to fall period of 2016 (Highway 7 Eastbound Ramp to River Road) and 2017 (River Road to Lackner Boulevard and to Keewatin Avenue for watermain

According to this link these two areas dates are reversed :   http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettingAround/CurrentConstructionProjects.asp#Kitchener

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 05-26-2016

Fischer-Hallman widening south of Ottawa is well under way. Here's a view up the hill from Cotton Grass towards Activa:

[Image: 5cwHrHc.png]

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - GtwoK - 05-26-2016

Oh wow! It's crazy how fast something like this gets done when there are no curbs to install and no utilities to move!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 05-26-2016

My guess is that they will be shifting traffic to rebuild the other side and then onto the newly rebuilt lanes to compete the job. Can't quite remember if that was in scope for this project though.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 05-29-2016

So, I was second in line this afternoon at the traffic light on Water St at King. Not only was Water St closed up ahead, and King St to the left, but also King St to the right because of something being set up in front of City Hall. Thank goodness for Bell Lane! Unfortunately, the driver ahead of me seemed to be from out of town and I could feel his consternation as crossed King and then proceeded to do a three-pointer on Water to go back the way he had come!

Which led me to wonder - with all the road work and closures Downtown this summer, should all the King St closing events perhaps have been moved to other parts of town this year?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MidTowner - 05-29-2016

But where? King is uniquely designed for these sorts of events, along with being the heart of the city. Do you mean other parts of downtown? In which case, my response would be that closing yet other routes in particular the logical bypass Weber might exacerbate things. Or other parts of Kitchener besides downtown?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - kwliving - 05-29-2016

(05-29-2016, 05:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, I was second in line this afternoon at the traffic light on Water St at King.  Not only was Water St closed up ahead, and King St to the left, but also King St to the right because of something being set up in front of City Hall.  Thank goodness for Bell Lane!  Unfortunately, the driver ahead of me seemed to be from out of town and I could feel his consternation as crossed King and then proceeded to do a three-pointer on Water to go back the way he had come!  

I made the mistake of trying to park within two blocks of the downtown beer store yesterday. I ended up driving to Fischer-Hallman & Highland to get beer.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 05-29-2016

(05-29-2016, 05:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Which led me to wonder - with all the road work and closures Downtown this summer, should all the King St closing events perhaps have been moved to other parts of town this year?

King is closed at Water anyway, so closing it for a few additional blocks won't actually make things all that much worse.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 05-29-2016

(05-29-2016, 07:24 PM)nd MidTowner Wrote: But where? King is uniquely designed for these sorts of events, along with being the heart of the city. Do you mean other parts of downtown? In which case, my response would be that closing yet other routes in particular the logical bypass Weber might exacerbate things. Or other parts of Kitchener besides downtown?

(05-29-2016, 07:24 PM)kwliving Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 05:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, I was second in line this afternoon at the traffic light on Water St at King.  Not only was Water St closed up ahead, and King St to the left, but also King St to the right because of something being set up in front of City Hall.  Thank goodness for Bell Lane!  Unfortunately, the driver ahead of me seemed to be from out of town and I could feel his consternation as crossed King and then proceeded to do a three-pointer on Water to go back the way he had come!  

I made the mistake of trying to park within two blocks of the downtown beer store yesterday. I ended up driving to Fischer-Hallman & Highland to get beer.
I think there's a sign (just one that I've noticed) that directs you down Bell Lane from Water St.  Assuming of course you can get to Water St (today, from King, I took Gaukel down to Joseph and over to Water back up to King and then used Bell Lane to go around the half-block (including my stop at Shoppers), back down Water).

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - JoeKW - 05-29-2016

(05-26-2016, 04:08 PM)timio Wrote: My guess is that they will be shifting traffic to rebuild the other side and then onto the newly rebuilt lanes to compete the job. Can't quite remember if that was in scope for this project though.

That's exactly what they did. It's a little harrowing crossing over at Ottawa, some people don't understand lanes or merging Sad