Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Spokes - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 12:05 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 11:57 AM)SammyOES Wrote: You don't want to optimize just for speed.  The number of people working on a project isn't a really flexible thing.  If one week you can use 10 people, the next week you can use 20, and the week after its back to 10 - its probably not realistic to ramp up your staffing for that one week.

Especially when you consider that people need to get up to speed on work, they need to be managed, have HR concerns looked after, etc. etc.

...how am I being quoted here? If you go back a page, I'm not any part of that thought  Huh Confused

I saw that too.  Wierd.  Software glitch?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - SammyOES - 06-28-2016

Viewfromthe42, sorry about that. I edited it.

When I went to quote Spokes there were a whole bunch of quotes that appeared in my editor and I guess I got mixed up when deleting the irrelevant ones.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 06-28-2016

Multi-quote is sketchy; you really have to watch that sometimes.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - curiouschair - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 01:28 PM)chutten Wrote: Heading to Herrle's on the weekend I noticed plenty of signs and whatnot for the Costco roundabouts, as well as the shell of a cavernous building that could very well be said Costco. Anyone got a link to a T&I thread on those roundabouts (I want to see if there are drawings showing whether they're planning to do anything interesting with the bike lanes) or is all the information in the Waterloo Costco thread?

A few weeks ago I was looking for detailed drawings for both this and the Ira Needles widening, I couldn't find anything. The best I could find was mentioned in the Waterloo Costco thread: West Waterloo Transportation Study

I don't know where to start to find these documents..

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 06-28-2016

The Region used to have project information sheets on the current projects page. Not sure why it changed.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 07-15-2016

Fischer-Hallman work has now finished on the west side of the roadway, so traffic has been swapped to finish the east side.

And the west sidewalk has been replaced with... an asphalt MUT!

[Image: Sh1IGqE.jpg]

[Image: VnFKKmy.jpg]

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 07-15-2016

Franklin has huge MUT's on both sides now, too. Very hard for me to get a photo of them because I'm never on foot here. Will try and get a shot next time I have my GoPro on the dash!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - panamaniac - 07-15-2016

Is it normal to place a bus shelter across the MUT from the boarding pad? Not that there are going to be traffic jams at the location shown above, but that seems a bit daft to me.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 07-15-2016

In this case, the shelter existed previously (when this only had a regular sidewalk) and it probably would not have been worth the expense to relocate.

This has not stopped them from relocating some five other shelters along this stretch, however...

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - zanate - 07-15-2016

(07-15-2016, 11:23 AM)Canard Wrote: Franklin has huge MUT's on both sides now, too. Very hard for me to get a photo of them because I'm never on foot here. Will try and get a shot next time I have my GoPro on the dash!

Eventually Franklin will have a MUT (one side only) going across the bridge on the 401, with jug-handle crossings of the ramps. Contiguous all the way up into Hespeler. That'll be amazing!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 07-15-2016

I doubt that the Fischer-Hallman MUT traffic will be so great as to make crossing it to get on your bus particularly arduous.
They don't put the shelter on their road side to protect it from damage due to plowing in the winter.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 07-15-2016

(07-15-2016, 03:37 PM)Markster Wrote: I doubt that the Fischer-Hallman MUT traffic will be so great as to make crossing it to get on your bus particularly arduous.
They don't put the shelter on their road side to protect it from damage due to plowing in the winter.

This is also quite common in the Netherlands, and it never seemed to be an issue there.  Its very easy for pedestrians to cross a cycleway, even one mixed with pedestrians.  The important thing to get right, and something that is correct here, is that the boarding pad isn't mixed with the MUT.  This allows pedestrians a place to stand as they get off the bus to look for cross traffic on the path.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 07-16-2016

The new Bleams Manitou bridge is nearly complete - an impressive parapet with SCHNEIDER CREEK boldly embossed. The railings are not fully in, so the temporary orange fencing detracts from the visual impact a bit.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 07-24-2016

We happen to drive the full length of Bleams on Friday, I don't recall seeing a new bridge... Had to look on Google Maps and it looks like "Schneider Creek" is just to the East of the new roundabout where Bleams meets Manitou.

Are they building a new bridge here to extend Bleams?

If the Weber grade sep is any indication, expect railing installation to be completed approximately 2 years after the bridge opens. Wink

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 07-24-2016

Perhaps he meant the bridge on Manitou? It's not a new bridge, though, is it?