Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - boatracer - 02-13-2017

The tender package is out for the King Street Uptown Waterloo Street scape Construction (Ion tracks to Elgin Street). Didn't see a topic in the first couple of pages but if I missed it this post could be moved to that thread.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/36e2203b-41b5-4b9c-a6ed-8c07e441397a

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - curiouschair - 02-13-2017

(02-13-2017, 11:36 AM)boatracer Wrote: The tender package is out for the King Street Uptown Waterloo Street scape Construction (Ion tracks to Elgin Street).   Didn't see a topic in the first couple of pages but if I missed it this post could be moved to that thread.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/36e2203b-41b5-4b9c-a6ed-8c07e441397a

interesting that Bridgeport/Caroline will be two way between Erb and Regina during construction. Temporary traffic signals to support this too.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - rangersfan - 02-17-2017

A group of developers have agreed to pay the upfront cost of building and maintaining the Strasburg Rd extension. The developers of course will be reimbursed.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7145425-developers-to-pay-for-strasburg-road-extension-up-front

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 02-19-2017

Not exactly road and highways, but not worthy of its own thread, so I'll post it here:

I was reminded in seeing Canard's post with the map of rail lines in the area of the line between Cambridge and Guelph (the brown one on the map). Does anyone know if the line is used at all anymore? I've crossed it on occasion at Blackbridge Road, and it seems like a ridiculously dangerous crossing to me. It's almost impossible to see that the way is clear at the crossing without actually entering the rail ROW with your vehicle.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3281]

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 02-19-2017

(02-19-2017, 10:33 PM)jamincan Wrote:  I've crossed it on occasion at Blackbridge Road, and it seems like a ridiculously dangerous crossing to me. It's almost impossible to see that the way is clear at the crossing without actually entering the rail ROW with your vehicle.

I take it you mean here? That does look perilous.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 02-19-2017

(02-19-2017, 10:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: Not exactly road and highways, but not worthy of its own thread, so I'll post it here:

I was reminded in seeing Canard's post with the map of rail lines in the area of the line between Cambridge and Guelph (the brown one on the map). Does anyone know if the line is used at all anymore? I've crossed it on occasion at Blackbridge Road, and it seems like a ridiculously dangerous crossing to me. It's almost impossible to see that the way is clear at the crossing without actually entering the rail ROW with your vehicle.

That would make a pretty sweet Cambridge-Guelph trail.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - tomh009 - 02-19-2017

(02-19-2017, 10:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: I was reminded in seeing Canard's post with the map of rail lines in the area of the line between Cambridge and Guelph (the brown one on the map). Does anyone know if the line is used at all anymore? I've crossed it on occasion at Blackbridge Road, and it seems like a ridiculously dangerous crossing to me. It's almost impossible to see that the way is clear at the crossing without actually entering the rail ROW with your vehicle.

I think this is part of the original GWR Galt-Guelph line, built in the 1850s.  It would be CN property now, but based on the undergrowth on the tracks, it certainly is not getting much (if any) use.

EDIT: It's still on CN's route map, albeit marked as one of their shortline partners.  That still doesn't tell us the usage level, though.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 02-20-2017

Yeah, it's operated by Goderich-Exeter who are headquartered in Stratford and operate freight between Guelph and , well, Goderich, on former CN trackage.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 02-20-2017

I'm told it's actually still used 3 times a week, in both directions, during the day only!  I never would have guessed there was that much traffic on it. Apparently the train actually stops, and a flagger gets out.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - ijmorlan - 02-20-2017

(02-19-2017, 10:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: Not exactly road and highways, but not worthy of its own thread, so I'll post it here:

I see an interurban route between Guelph and Cambridge. Just double-track and use the same LRVs as ION. Or triple-track if people are still paranoid about collisions with low-speed freight trains, or if the freight actually needs to travel fast along there.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 08:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

I see an interurban route between Guelph and Cambridge. Just double-track and use the same LRVs as ION. Or triple-track if people are still paranoid about collisions with low-speed freight trains, or if the freight actually needs to travel fast along there.

At the very least, LRT to Hespler. Tongue

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - MacBerry - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 08:27 AM)Canard Wrote: I'm told it's actually still used 3 times a week, in both directions, during the day only!  I never would have guessed there was that much traffic on it.  Apparently the train actually stops, and a flagger gets out.

There is actually a stop sign for the train before it crosses the road as well as a sign for drivers to stop before crossing ... which 90% of the drivers i saw ignored it.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 02-20-2017

Minor point: it's not a stop sign - it's a sign that says you must stop before crossing. It should be a proper stop sign (well, or a proper, signalized crossing).

In my experience too, when I stop here, people in my rear view mirror look like they're about to kill me. I avoid the area.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timc - 02-20-2017

Well, technically, it's an advisory sign. But still, it's a good idea to follow its advice.

And if I got that look in my rearview, I might stop extra long, just to be sure. :-P

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - DHLawrence - 02-20-2017

LRT to Guelph would be nice. Anything to Guelph would be nice, really.

I wonder what the odds are of getting an exact replica of Hespeler station built for it. Probably slim.