Waterloo Region Connected
General Road and Highway Discussion - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: General Road and Highway Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=335)

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - mpd618 - 03-16-2017

(03-16-2017, 12:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The buses were on their way already -- this just means GRT gets funding for them?

Yep.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - highlander - 03-16-2017

Interesting tidbit from the CBC story on this announcement:

"There's money to study – not to build – a potential overpass of the expressway to allow for people better access to transit from a particular neighbourhood in Kitchener," Galloway said.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/waterloo-region-new-buses-federal-provincial-funding-1.4027874

I assume this would be the previously rumoured bridge from Strasburg to Avalon PL?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - D40LF - 03-16-2017

(03-16-2017, 09:36 PM)highlander Wrote: Interesting tidbit from the CBC story on this announcement:

"There's money to study – not to build – a potential overpass of the expressway to allow for people better access to transit from a particular neighbourhood in Kitchener," Galloway said.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/waterloo-region-new-buses-federal-provincial-funding-1.4027874

I assume this would be the previously rumoured bridge from Strasburg to Avalon PL?
I imagine so. The Region was recently seeking a consulting firm to provide services for this exact project.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/4612c143-2544-4274-8d26-5e3f0cdf0770

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - KevinL - 03-16-2017

Very pleased to hear that's still on the radar - the Avalon neighbourhood would really benefit from this.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Spokes - 03-17-2017

(03-16-2017, 11:55 AM)timio Wrote: I was looking over the proposed design for Highland Road West from Fischer Hallman to Ira Needles and noticed that they are considering roundabouts for the intersections with Westheights.

It's a bit unclear from the material online what the tipping point would be to install them.

Where did you see this?

As someone who lives nearby, I just don't see the need.  Is there really enough traffic coming off of Westheights/Eastforest/Westforest?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timio - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 07:20 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 11:55 AM)timio Wrote: I was looking over the proposed design for Highland Road West from Fischer Hallman to Ira Needles and noticed that they are considering roundabouts for the intersections with Westheights.

It's a bit unclear from the material online what the tipping point would be to install them.

Where did you see this?

As someone who lives nearby, I just don't see the need.  Is there really enough traffic coming off of Westheights/Eastforest/Westforest?

There's reference in the display boards to an optional roundabout at each of the intersections:  http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettingAround/resources/5752-HighlandRoadImprovementsInfoSheet-Mar13.pdf

And I some more detail (albeit not much) in the presentation on pages 16/17:   https://icreate3.esolutionsgroup.ca/230672_ROW_MUnicipal/en/gettingAround/resources/5752-HighlandRoadPCC2Displays.pdf

The only real reason I could see it being helpful is that the paint job on Westheights over the past few years is terrible.  Old lines weren't fully removed before being repainted.  People still drive in the bike lanes as if they were turning/passing lanes, and the painted lines make it seem like you're supposed to drive into oncoming traffic (especially the western arm of Westheights towards Driftwood.)

At rush hour, there seems to be less traffic flowing through than on Ira Needles, so roundabouts wouldn't get backed up as much. However, there would be more pedestrian activity along here meaning it might not be as safe for pedestrians as signalized intersections.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Markster - 03-17-2017

I just can't believe that they would need to take property to build roundabouts. There is already a huge amount of space in those intersections, but they steadfastly refuse to budge on roundabout diameter and geometry.

Personally, I prefer roundabouts. Coming off a side street, it beats waiting 2 minutes for a traffic light.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 10:48 AM)Markster Wrote: I just can't believe that they would need to take property to build roundabouts.  There is already a huge amount of space in those intersections, but they steadfastly refuse to budge on roundabout diameter and geometry.

Personally, I prefer roundabouts.  Coming off a side street, it beats waiting 2 minutes for a traffic light.

Absolutely, this is also true for crossing.  Less friendly, but less waiting.

These roundabouts should easily fit in the space available, if they chose too.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Viewfromthe42 - 03-17-2017

The bigger you make a roundabout, the faster cars can drive through it, and the longer the pedestrian crossing distances, it's win win!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - timc - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 08:04 AM)timio Wrote: At rush hour, there seems to be less traffic flowing through than on Ira Needles, so roundabouts wouldn't get backed up as much. However, there would be more pedestrian activity along here meaning it might not be as safe for pedestrians as signalized intersections.

Roundabouts have their dangers for pedestrians, but do you really think they are more dangerous than signalized intersections?

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - Canard - 03-17-2017

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - danbrotherston - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 02:37 PM)timc Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 08:04 AM)timio Wrote: At rush hour, there seems to be less traffic flowing through than on Ira Needles, so roundabouts wouldn't get backed up as much. However, there would be more pedestrian activity along here meaning it might not be as safe for pedestrians as signalized intersections.

Roundabouts have their dangers for pedestrians, but do you really think they are more dangerous than signalized intersections?

The statistics suggest that yes, they may be--9 of the 10 the most dangerous pedestrian intersections in the city are signalized intersections, the worst roundabouts in the city don't even make this list for pedestrian collisions.

Roundabouts should be safer for pedestrians for some of the same reasons they're safer for motorists.  Lower speeds (certainly at the 85th percentile), and many fewer directions to be hit by a car at any given moment.  

They're certainly far more uncomfortable for pedestrians, especially those who are not experienced with them.

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - embe - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 02:37 PM)timc Wrote: Roundabouts have their dangers for pedestrians, but do you really think they are more dangerous than signalized intersections?

Statistics probably don't account for things like close calls or frustration of trying to cross , myself I avoid walking/crossing at roundabouts whenever possible.  Just not worth it.  maybe in a few years when people understand them better.  I've seen a couple close calls where a driver yields for a pedestrian and almost gets rear-ended by the car behind them, who isn't anticipating a stop since only looking for oncoming vehicles in the roundabout (and not pedestrians crossing from the right).

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - jamincan - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 04:23 PM)embe Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 02:37 PM)timc Wrote: Roundabouts have their dangers for pedestrians, but do you really think they are more dangerous than signalized intersections?

Statistics probably don't account for things like close calls or frustration of trying to cross , myself I avoid walking/crossing at roundabouts whenever possible.  Just not worth it.  maybe in a few years when people understand them better.  I've seen a couple close calls where a driver yields for a pedestrian and almost gets rear-ended by the car behind them, who isn't anticipating a stop since only looking for oncoming vehicles in the roundabout (and not pedestrians crossing from the right).

I sure hope I never have to encounter an oncoming vehicle in a roundabout!

RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - embe - 03-18-2017

(03-17-2017, 05:46 PM)jamincan Wrote: I sure hope I never have to encounter an oncoming vehicle in a roundabout!

lol, yeah. 

Definition of oncoming: 1a :  coming nearer in time or space the oncoming year, an oncoming car
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oncoming

Point is, most drivers merging into a roundabout are fixated on vehicles (coming nearer in time or space) to their left, and not pedestrians on their right.