Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 04-25-2018

I think you are thinking of the William St/Strange St pumping station consolidation project. That work, between John St W (Waterloo) and Glasgow St (Kitchener), isn't scheduled to start until 2019 (so yes, another IHT disruption next year). I guess it would be too much to ask for crossing at John to be rebuilt with a single, shared 5m lane in the middle with bump-outs on the north and south sides instead of the 2x5.5m lanes that are there now.

The work for 2018 is from the CN tracks north of Gage to the south side of Queen.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 04-25-2018

(04-25-2018, 12:29 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I think you are thinking of the William St/Strange St pumping station consolidation project. That work, between John St W (Waterloo) and Glasgow St (Kitchener), isn't scheduled to start until 2019 (so yes, another IHT disruption next year). I guess it would be too much to ask for crossing at John to be rebuilt with a single, shared 5m lane in the middle with bump-outs on the north and south sides instead of the 2x5.5m lanes that are there now.

The work for 2018 is from the CN tracks north of Gage to the south side of Queen.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.  My mistake.

I'm surprised then, I didn't realize they would be working on the north part of the IHT this year.

In any case, this means roughly 2 years of major closures on the iHT.  It's gonna be a rough couple years.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 04-29-2018

I have only been by the trail where it meets Gage and Victoria the last few days, not on that stretch of the trail itself, but I haven't seen any preparation or staging of equipment yet.

I am going to get frustrated really fast if the trail is closed and they aren't actually doing any work on it.

The road work in my neighbourhood so far this year has had equipment on site and prep work for at least a week beforehand so that they could get right to work the moment the weather co-operated.

Also, are they going to re-do the stretch between Cherry and Gage that was redone when the Belmont Trio was built?

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 04-29-2018

(04-29-2018, 08:29 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I have only been by the trail where it meets Gage and Victoria the last few days, not on that stretch of the trail itself, but I haven't seen any preparation or staging of equipment yet.

I am going to get frustrated really fast if the trail is closed and they aren't actually doing any work on it.

The road work in my neighbourhood so far this year has had equipment on site and prep work for at least a week beforehand so that they could get right to work the moment the weather co-operated.

Also, are they going to re-do the stretch between Cherry and Gage that was redone when the Belmont Trio was built?

I definitely agree with this sentiment.  I was really quite frustrated when the Spur line was closed for many many weeks, while little to no work was done on the section that *already existed* by Lens Mills.  Why they didn't just spend a day cutting asphalt instead of repaving the whole thing I will never know.

As for "re-doing" I have no idea if they are actually redoing it, it definitely could be wider, but it's a little wider than other sections.  I have heard they are doing lighting however.  One section I am curious about is the section at the Catalyst building, it's definitely of a much more acceptable width.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 04-29-2018

The limit of the work is the new pavement near Catalyst under the CN tracks. They won't be touching the work done along the Catalyst site last year.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 04-29-2018

My experience with most trail closure signs is that they are often not proactively applied or removed. The trail from the market to St. Jacobs along the highway has a trail closure sign partway along it. We rode passed it as it was plainly obvious other users were disregarding it. There was then also a trail closure sign at the bottom of the hill where it joins the Health Valley Trail. There was no discernable reason for the trail to be closed. This isn't the only time I've found this and it's yet another example of active modes not being treated seriously as transportation options.

RE: Trails - Canard - 05-01-2018

3/4 of the Spurline Trail lights were off last night. :/ Anyone know why, or if this has been the case for a while?

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 05-06-2018

Week one progress on the IHT work.

IHT @ Gage looking north:

IHT @ Gage looking south:

IHT @ Victoria looking north:

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 05-08-2018

Does anyone know if the IHT improvements will use an aluminum edge restraint to provide support during compaction of the asphalt, reduce maintenance and minimize cracking along the edges of the trail?

Also, I was over to check on the progress of the central promenade today and was quite disappointed at how little has changed in the main park area. There wasn't a single worker on site on a beautiful day!

I took these photos today (8-May-2018):

I took these photos more than 2 months ago (2-Mar-2018):

The stretch along PI has definitely progressed a lot though.

RE: Trails - Canard - 05-09-2018

Yes, they are focusing on the bridge area. With an infinite size of team, anything is possible. But it is finite.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 05-09-2018

The bridge is supposed to be installed Friday morning.

John just tweeted they’ve postponed it to early next week.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 10:33 AM)Canard Wrote: John just tweeted they’ve postponed it to early next week.

Sad...

(Weather related, so understandable)

Last summer, I tweeted out a very rough section of a trail, where roots had grown through.

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/887069832495194112?s=21

Today, I see that it’s been repaved!