Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-16-2018

There does seem to be some progress on the Queen to Victoria section and the new side trail to Victoria Park:

RE: Trails - clasher - 06-16-2018

They're probably just gonna pave it all in one shot to save money... kind of a shame it's taken this long, I don't understand what kind of delays they could have possibly run into, the weather has been pretty good for road work.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-18-2018

Update on IHT from city of Kitchener:

"The Iron horse trail section between Victoria and CN Rail has had a few setbacks so far.  The first set back was that the contractor found an asbestos pipe under the railway which required testing and special removal.  The paving is now being held until the contractor receives an Eco counter which gets installed/embedded into the asphalt while its being laid. 

The trail is currently in a finished granular condition that the public can access until paving occurs. 

I would like to see the trail completed asap, but my contractor hasn’t been giving me a final date for this section. 

Sorry I can’t give you final dates for completion yet."

RE: Trails - clasher - 06-18-2018

I guess the pipe was underneath the entire stretch of the ROW? Otherwise they could have paved part of it at least...

RE: Trails - Canard - 06-19-2018

I would imagine it’s far more economical to pave all at once. If you have to go back they have to truck all the equipment in, schedule everyone for a second day, etc - twice the cost.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-22-2018

It looks like they are at least paving the IHT section from Gage north to the CN tracks this morning.

RE: Trails - jwilliamson - 06-22-2018

The central promenade through Waterloo Park has been paved. Hopefully they'll have it open this weekend.

RE: Trails - Markster - 06-23-2018

(06-15-2018, 05:56 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Looks like they are proposing to replicate the Laurel trail crossing on Erb at Bridgeport by relocating the signal at Peppler:
Proposed Relocation of Intersection Pedestrian Signal (IPS) – Bridgeport Road

It doesn't look like they are planning to leave even an activation button at Peppler (since it is one-way) as was suggested on these very pages.

I got correspondence regarding the Laurel Trail signal:

Quote:To: Concerned Parties
Re: Proposed Relocation of Intersection Pedestrian Signal (IPS) - Bridgeport Road
(Regional Road 9) at Peppler Street Intersection, in the City of Waterloo
A report on the above issue is tentatively scheduled to be on the Regional Council Committee
agenda on Wednesday June 27th
in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, Regional Administration
Building, 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, Ontario.
The Region of Waterloo was requested by the City of Waterloo to consider the relocation of the
existing intersection pedestrian signals located at the intersection of Bridgeport Road and
Peppler Street. Staff assessed travel movements of pedestrians and cyclists at both the
intersection of Bridgeport Road and Peppler Street and the Laurel Trail crossing at Bridgeport
Road. Travel patterns observed during these studies indicated that trail users would be better
served with the relocation of the intersection pedestrian signal to the Laurel Creek Trail crossing
point.
Please visit the Region’s website at www.regionofwaterloo.ca and click on Regional
Government, Agendas and Minutes, Standing Committee, Planning and Works Committee or
call the undersigned to confirm meeting starting time. A copy of the report will be accessible
through the agenda Friday June 22nd, after 4:30 p.m.
Should you wish to register as a delegation at this meeting, please contact Council Services at
519-575-4400 by Tuesday June 26th at 4:30 p.m.

Yours truly,

Valerie Pearcey
Engineering Technologist (Traffic)

Unfortunately, I no longer live in town, so I can't delegate, but I encourage anyone else who has a strong opinion on this to go!

RE: Trails - plam - 06-25-2018

Iron Horse Trail north of Victoria now paved (though the pylons are still up):

[Image: iht_paved.jpg]

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-25-2018

The concrete pad is tagged with spray painted already!

Is the lighting is only between Queen and West?

Edit: Answered my own question (page 45 of the T18-001 Drawings): Yes, lighting is only between West and Queen for now.

RE: Trails - plam - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 10:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The concrete pad is tagged with spray painted already!

Is the lighting is only between Queen and West?

Edit: Answered my own question (page 45 of the T18-001 Drawings): Yes, lighting is only between West and Queen for now.

I've taken streets instead of Iron Horse when I forgot my lights. Spur Line is better in that respect.

The tagging happened before the asphalt was laid: I saw it last week I think.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 06-25-2018

That can be powerwashed away easily enough. They're probably leaving it in place until just before the bench gets installed, as it could easily get tagged again.

RE: Trails - Canard - 06-26-2018

Photos from Central Promenade:

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/1011350584316882944?s=21

RE: Trails - timc - 06-26-2018

(06-25-2018, 10:17 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The concrete pad is tagged with spray painted already!

That's how you know it's ready.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-28-2018

I checked out the newly paved section of the IHT trail last night. It is quite nice. There is one really big bump where the trail meets the south side of Gage though. I'm not sure if it is a mistake or if Gage will be raised up to meet the trail at some point. Quite the trip hazard now, and a slip hazard in the winter, especially for those with any kind of vision impairment. It feels steeper than it looks in the photo:

I also noticed that along the Gage to Glasgow sections that got re-done last year the there are many places edges are already starting to deteriorate which is why I was advocating for an edge restraint on the current project instead of just tamping to 45 degrees.

Deterioration on this section and the Gage to Victoria section will be accelerated when they bring in big trucks to put in the lighting after the fact instead of doing it now before it was paved like they are doing for Queen to Victoria.