Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 08-30-2018

I can't believe that dangerous gates such as those are on the plan. Have we not learned anything?

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 08-30-2018

(08-30-2018, 09:56 AM)timc Wrote: I can't believe that dangerous gates such as those are on the plan. Have we not learned anything?

Given the rest of the plan, I'm gonna say that no we haven't.

So frustrating...

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 08-30-2018

The locks look very easily broken. Would have liked to see something that bolt cutters couldn't go through like butter. But the box itself is so flimsy that any determined vandal could get in, it's really quite terrible.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 08-30-2018

That's unfortunate. Hopefully they realize an upgrade to the box's durability will be cheaper than repeated repairs.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 09-01-2018

Does anyone know if the trail along the east side of the Speed River is open under the 401. I'm guessing it was probably closed during construction, but it seems like construction might be far enough advanced now for it to be reopend.

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-01-2018

My coworker rides his bike and runs through there almost daily. I’ll ask him what the status is on Tuesday. In the past he’s said it’s “barely passable” and mentioned the construction workers yell at him frequently...

RE: Trails - Canard - 09-01-2018

Yesterday, the Laurel trail was basically closed at University while a large crew was digging up/replacing concrete at the crossing.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 09-01-2018

(08-21-2018, 01:21 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Lights had been installed along the iron horse trail from queen north to Victoria park as of last night. Not powered yet.

They are powered now. Very nice!

No sign of IHT construction E of Queen St S yet.

RE: Trails - GtwoK - 09-01-2018

(09-01-2018, 08:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 01:21 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Lights had been installed along the iron horse trail from queen north to Victoria park as of last night. Not powered yet.

They are powered now. Very nice!

Is there supposed to be? I could've sworn that the scope of the project was up to Queen

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-01-2018

(09-01-2018, 10:25 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 08:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They are powered now. Very nice!

Is there supposed to be? I could've sworn that the scope of the project was up to Queen

This was also my impression *SOUTH* of Queen was Phase 3 .

RE: Trails - darts - 09-01-2018

(09-01-2018, 01:59 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does anyone know if the trail along the east side of the Speed River is open under the 401. I'm guessing it was probably closed during construction, but it seems like construction might be far enough advanced now for it to be reopend.

sign on speedsville says it is closed still.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 09-01-2018

Only the crossing at Queen is part of the current work. So the work will cross to south of Queen, but just barely.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-02-2018

(09-01-2018, 11:33 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Only the crossing at Queen is part of the current work. So the work will cross to south of Queen, but just barely.

Do you know what is planned for the crossing?

Queen is one of the better crossings, although the island could be bigger.  I guess the new trail is a little misaligned now so maybe it's just being moved slightly. 

It could also use a crossride and PXO.  Drivers already yield inconsistently, PXO would make sense.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 09-02-2018

The crossing will essentially be exactly how it is now, but at a slightly different angle:

How's that an efficient use of active transportation infrastructure dollars is beyond me. Re-do an area with known problems, that was redone very recently, and recreate the exact problems. If they weren't going to fix the problem then I would them have rather saved the money use on another crossing that doesn't have any crossing provisions.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 09-02-2018

(09-01-2018, 10:45 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 10:25 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Is there supposed to be? I could've sworn that the scope of the project was up to Queen

This was also my impression *SOUTH* of Queen was Phase 3 .

OK, thanks. I didn't remember that.