Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Canard - 12-02-2018

So disappointed there is still no sign of anything happening here Sad

On a positive note, just North of University, on the trail parallel to the LRT tracks, there was this utility box that protruded about 1/3 into the trail. It's had cones around it since the trail was restored during LRT construction, and yesterday I was thinking "When are they going to fix this damn thing???" - and as I rolled by today, ready to have to deeke around it... I discovered the cones were gone, and it's been repaired!!!!!

...and on an even more positive note, the connection between Ottawa and Grenville Ave. is looking amazing, including lighting!

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 05:39 PM)Canard Wrote: So disappointed there is still no sign of anything happening here Sad

On a positive note, just North of University, on the trail parallel to the LRT tracks, there was this utility box that protruded about 1/3 into the trail.  It's had cones around it since the trail was restored during LRT construction, and yesterday I was thinking "When are they going to fix this damn thing???" - and as I rolled by today, ready to have to deeke around it... I discovered the cones were gone, and it's been repaired!!!!!

That's great news!  That's been a safety hazard for more than a year, at one point, the cones disappeared, and I hit it one night, and and just about flew off.

RE: Trails - Spokes - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 05:39 PM)Canard Wrote: So disappointed there is still no sign of anything happening here Sad

On a positive note, just North of University, on the trail parallel to the LRT tracks, there was this utility box that protruded about 1/3 into the trail.  It's had cones around it since the trail was restored during LRT construction, and yesterday I was thinking "When are they going to fix this damn thing???" - and as I rolled by today, ready to have to deeke around it... I discovered the cones were gone, and it's been repaired!!!!!

Cant for the life of me figure out...where is this?

Oh shoot, sorry - it's King St., between Conestogo and Northfield.

The MUT is on the East side there (up from the Forwell trail, in front of Conestoga Mall, then the Conestoga LRT station)... then flips to the other side. I think what happened is that when some land was expropriated from the Petro Canada and the little strip mall there where the Henry's and LCBO is, there was some kind of war between them and the Region. So it's this dirt rubble path that is officially "closed".

It's kind of annoying that the Mayor is part of this whole "Cycle WR" movement thing yet doesn't seem to want to do anything about this or provide any more information.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-02-2018

I can ask for an update at the next ATAC meeting, this is entirely unacceptable...I think I'd be personally be more upset about it, if I was willing to bike the Northfield bike lanes I think, but as is, I'll go all the way around to avoid them.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 12-03-2018

(12-02-2018, 06:04 PM)Canard Wrote: ...and on an even more positive note, the connection between Ottawa and Grenville Ave. is looking amazing, including lighting!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5844]

So it looks like they moved the entire brand new fence? That's efficient use of scarce active transportation dollars.

RE: Trails - panamaniac - 12-03-2018

I find it odd that there's any fence along that stretch at all - quite unsightly.

RE: Trails - Canard - 12-03-2018

Relax, it probably paid for Jay’s campaign.

RE: Trails - Spokes - 12-03-2018

(12-02-2018, 10:17 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh shoot, sorry - it's King St., between Conestogo and Northfield.

The MUT is on the East side there (up from the Forwell trail, in front of Conestoga Mall, then the Conestoga LRT station)... then flips to the other side.  I think what happened is that when some land was expropriated from the Petro Canada and the little strip mall there where the Henry's and LCBO is, there was some kind of war between them and the Region.  So it's this dirt rubble path that is officially "closed".

It's kind of annoying that the Mayor is part of this whole "Cycle WR" movement thing yet doesn't seem to want to do anything about this or provide any more information.

Ahhh I know exactly where you mean now.  Just needed context to visualize it.

That's crazy.  So who actually owns it?  Is it on private property?

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 07:47 AM)Canard Wrote: Relax, it probably paid for Jay’s campaign.

Would be kind of interesting to see what he spent this, seemingly-more-serious time. The election prior, he spent something like $350,000 (compared to maybe $40,000 by Ken Seiling), with around $300,000 coming from his own pocket.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 12-03-2018

As for the Ottawa fence, the trail must have been an afterthought after the project agreement was finalized. So Grandlinq built the first fence as agreed, as the Region did not want to deal with an expensive change order; then they came in with their own team, who re-graded the land and moved the fence.

RE: Trails - Spokes - 12-03-2018

Interestingly in this seemingly-more-serious campaign I feel like he was quieter than last time around. Just me?

RE: Trails - KevinT - 12-03-2018

So on Saturday Nov, 24th the wife and I were in the area of the River Rd. footbridge and spotted this little bit of bike-friendly newness:

[Image: 46114274772_27be98df10_c.jpg]

It seems too close to the railing for handle bar clearance, though I suppose it's not too big of a deal to cant your bike at angle and it leaves more space for regular foot traffic.

RE: Trails - timc - 12-03-2018

(12-02-2018, 05:39 PM)Canard Wrote: On a positive note, just North of University, on the trail parallel to the LRT tracks, there was this utility box that protruded about 1/3 into the trail.  It's had cones around it since the trail was restored during LRT construction, and yesterday I was thinking "When are they going to fix this damn thing???" - and as I rolled by today, ready to have to deeke around it... I discovered the cones were gone, and it's been repaired!!!!!

Yeah, it only took, what, two years? I was surprised when it got done too.