Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - clasher - 05-05-2016

Yeah it is goofy... the one-sided nature of the sign is kind of lame. I always have lights on and bells dinging when I'm riding on the trail. Even my road bike has a bell when I'm heading out to for a country run. I usually run into pedestrians with earbuds too lound to hear bells, in-attentive dog-walkers that let their dogs road across the trail with hard-to-see extendy leashes, and groups walking 3+ abreast completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people that use the trail. Multi-use trails means everyone has to play nice.

RE: Trails - panamaniac - 05-05-2016

(05-05-2016, 08:21 PM)clasher Wrote: Yeah it is goofy... the one-sided nature of the sign is kind of lame. I always have lights on and bells dinging when I'm riding on the trail. Even my road bike has a bell when I'm heading out to for a country run. I usually run into pedestrians with earbuds too lound to hear bells, in-attentive dog-walkers that let their dogs road across the trail with hard-to-see extendy leashes, and groups walking 3+ abreast completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people that use the trail. Multi-use trails means everyone has to play nice.

Sounds like not many do, unfortunately.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 05-06-2016

Minor tweaking to the Laurel Trail near Waterloo City Centre:

RE: Trails - GtwoK - 05-06-2016

Can't seem to figure out whereabouts those photos are taken!

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 05-06-2016

(05-06-2016, 08:48 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Can't seem to figure out whereabouts those photos are taken!

It's right behind Waterloo city hall - here's a Google Maps 3D view.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 05-11-2016

(05-05-2016, 05:36 PM)clasher Wrote: I saw a sign on the Iron Horse in between Strange and Victoria from the "trail etiquette committee" that admonished riders to use their bells when passing. It looks like something a busy-body just put up their own... didn't think to stop and take a picture but the placement of the sign wasn't very prominent so I wonder what good "they" think it's gonna do. It's along the bush on the left side when heading south if anyone else wants to look at it. It's good for a chuckle but that's about it.

Finally came across one of the aforementioned signs:

RE: Trails - Canard - 05-11-2016

Wow, that's pretty curt/passive aggressive. That doesn't help smooth the tensions between cyclists and pedestrians at all...

RE: Trails - schooner77 - 05-11-2016

I bike on the trail more that I walk it and I don't see a problem with the sign. It isn't always a contest to see which type of user is the most inconsiderate. It's about safety.

I could just see someone putting up a sharp "Don't walk 3 abreast" sign as retaliation, and it escalating from there, that's all. There's a much more polite (Canadian?) way to word signs like these recommending behaviour changes. If you word the sign with a reason why the behaviour inconveniences others, it's far more likely to get a positive response, and the desired outcome.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 05-11-2016

I generally treat multi-use pathways as pedestrian paths exclusively. I don't have a bell on my bike, but even when running, much of the time calling out "left" when passing results in unpredictable reactions (like jumping to the left as they shoot their head around to see behind them) or nothing at all (due to headphones/whatever) to the extent that I don't even bother calling anything out at all anymore as it seems safer.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 05-11-2016

"On your left" is pretty standard for joggers, I think. It's certainly Captain America's method.

I was in Ottawa a few years back and their trails seem to have a strongly followed system - if you're in a pack of joggers/walkers and see a bike approaching from the front, you call "bike up" so everyone is aware; if a cyclist appraches from the rear, the cyclist rings theri bell and the rearmost pedestrian calls "bike back".

(05-11-2016, 12:27 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't have a bell on my bike

!

RE: Trails - plam - 05-11-2016

(05-11-2016, 01:48 PM)Canard Wrote:

!

It's a rule in Ontario but by no means everywhere. Having said that, I do find it easier to ring the bell than point out "on your left" and I now find it a bit funny to ride a bike without a bell, as I do in Zurich.

RE: Trails - MidTowner - 05-11-2016

(05-11-2016, 01:48 PM)Canard Wrote:

!

Really? I know it's a rule, but are you surprised to hear some people don't follow this one?

Only because I thought Jamincan was a pretty hardcore biker. I suspected maybe the mass of a bell might reduce efficiency. Smile Just having fun, no harm meant.