Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - dtkvictim - 02-20-2023

(02-20-2023, 12:26 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 10:15 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Checked out Joseph St and Stewart St today, and utility poles have still not been moved. The trail portion next to the Google parking garage looks finished. Found an update on EngageWR saying construction won't resume until summer 2023; a completely ridiculous timeline for this project.

Complete guess but the latter point sounds like the construction around the new incubator is going to encroach on the new MUT. Itching to have it done as well but if it saves the newly paved infra from getting busted up by construction I think its liveable. Not sure why Stewart St. couldn't get done in the mean time though...

The UW project is more understandable than the utility relocation. I assume Dan means the incubator developer is only responsible for paving the trail, and not also somehow dealing with Bell and Hydro lines, which presumably have to get out of the developer's way regardless.

I guess once the Google section is open it should be ok. Joseph and Stewart are low traffic enough for me to bike on the street for now. It would just be nice to be able to cross Victoria St without dismounting.

RE: Trails - cherrypark - 02-20-2023

Good to know re: who is finishing the Joseph MUT. Might be a distinction without a difference on the utilities, in that depending on how the project and scope are set up the hydro and telecoms changes may be under one project for both streets and are scheduled to occurring in the same block of time and therefore waiting on the Joseph space to be ready for work.

RE: Trails - timc - 02-22-2023

There's a new post up on Engage WR about proposed improvements to the Laurel Trail between Peppler and Weber in Waterloo.

Quote:The Laurel Greenway Master Plan identified the need for pedestrian trail lighting between Peppler Street and Weber Street North, as well as an improved trailhead at Brighton Street to enhance neighbourhood and Greenway connections. The proposed pedestrian lighting will increase safety and extend the useable hours of the trail, especially during the Winter months. The proposed concept for the Brighton Street Trailhead includes safe entry onto the trail system off Brighton Street, wayfinding and interpretation, options for sitting and gathering, and opportunities to view the natural creek-side elements.

https://www.engagewr.ca/brighton-trailhead

RE: Trails - Acitta - 07-14-2023

While riding up to St. Jacobs today, I noticed that the gap in the MUT on Parkside at Weber has been closed. They are still working on the intersection, but it is now paved the whole way.

RE: Trails - Acitta - 08-25-2023

Walter Bean Grand River Trail update - August 2023

NOTICE: Starting Mon, Aug 28, the Walter Bean Grand River Trail between King Street East and Pioneer Tower Road will be closed from 7 am to 3 pm for approx. 5 days for vegetation control. After 3 pm, the trail will open for hiking.

RE: Trails - dtkvictim - 09-13-2023

I never know if I should be posting in the Trails or Cycling thread, since I cycle on the trails... But here we are.

It looks like construction of the Park & John St IHT connector thing is under construction. The temporary stop sign is making it a pain to cross right now, even at 7pm there was a constant flow of traffic where you have to shoot the gap between cars rolling through the stop signs. I don't really understand this project TBH, I'd prefer they just improve the existing sight lines/curbs instead of having to wait for 2 lights to cross but the existing trail is staying so more options is fine I guess.

[Image: GI8jpbo.jpg]

It looks like crossrides and hopefully curb improvements are coming to the Caroline St MUP. It doesn't sound like raised crossings are coming, but hopefully the trail to road transition is improved because these are probably the absolute worst in the Region.

[Image: Y1vLBef.jpg]

Lighting is being installed on the R&T-Philip St path. This station was a factor in my spouse discontinuing her transit usage, and while lighting doesn't solve its problems it's still a welcome improvement.

[Image: 3J1mdjg.jpg]

Laurel Trail/University Ave crossing, as discussed in the UW residence thread. An LRT came through right after I took this photo and interestingly, the pedestrian crossing light changed to the red hand, but the bicycle light remained green...

[Image: Nurlf7K.jpg]

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-14-2023

Well at least the pole is in less idiotic place than the crossing on Weber at Wellington.

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 09-14-2023

(09-14-2023, 01:38 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Well at least the pole is in less idiotic place than the crossing on Weber at Wellington.

“Less idiotic”? I would say it’s pretty good: between the pedestrian crossing and the crossride, so the buttons are easily accessible to both and both sets of signals can be hung from the same poles conveniently.

I’m disappointed that they have yet again changed button style, in particular to one that only blinks the indicator light when pressed, rather than keeping it on so people can see that the button has been pressed.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 09-14-2023

Have to love that the photo shows both a pedestrian in the crossride and a cyclist in the crosswalk.

RE: Trails - dtkvictim - 09-14-2023

(09-14-2023, 12:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: Have to love that the photo shows both a pedestrian in the crossride and a cyclist in the crosswalk.

Yeah no kidding. I have a second photo where the cyclist at least made it over into the crossride.

It's sort of inevitable when considering the rest of the environment though, so all that really matters from both a cycling and pedestrian perspective is that there is more space.

I went through earlier in the day as well and the crossing was so packed with pedestrians (a bunch of cyclists too, but they were lost in the crowd) that the new width of the crossing is only enough to support that pedestrian volume.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-15-2023

Yeah unless the trail is segregated the traffic won’t be.

As for the poles ijmorlan the near side is fine but on the far side cyclists cannot push the button without being on the wrong side of the crossing.

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 09-15-2023

(09-15-2023, 01:43 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yeah unless the trail is segregated the traffic won’t be.

As for the poles ijmorlan the near side is fine but on the far side cyclists cannot push the button without being on the wrong side of the crossing.

OK, that’s a good point, and actually the problem exists elsewhere. For example, the crossing of Regina at the track has both buttons on the left rather than the right. I was mostly responding to the characterization of the layout as “less idiotic” when I think it’s actually mostly pretty reasonable, with some points that are worthy of criticism.

RE: Trails - cherrypark - 09-28-2023

Now if they could just widen and resurface that MUT to at least Seagram, it would be a little better. That sudden zig zag on the UW property is probably cursed for good because the University has near zero interest in improving AT or transit access.

RE: Trails - Acitta - 10-16-2023

Engage Kitchener: Walter Bean Trail Improvement

The Walter Bean Trail connects Doon Valley Golf Course in the south of the City to Kiwanis Park in the north. The trail consists of large stones with granular infill. This provides a walkable and rideable (bikes, strollers) surface.

This project includes just over 3 km of the trail, from the Hidden Valley low-lift station and weir to the pump station off Pioneer Tower Road. This section is located around the periphery of the Deer Ridge Golf Course and within the overbanks of the Grand River.

Over time, this section of the trail has become damaged through riverine erosion action and ice floes. We have identified the need to develop a long-term and sustainable solution to maintaining the trail for all users, instead of significant annual repairs and associated costs that the City has been incurring.

The City understands that the local community uses the trail frequently and have been asking for the trail to be repaired and in a good condition.

The City will be evaluating options for improving the trail, with the objective of preventing trail damage from erosion and ice floes. Once an option has been selected, the City will initiate the design of the trail and provide an opportunity for the public to provide input into the design prior to design completion.

RE: Trails - bravado - 10-16-2023

(10-16-2023, 01:08 PM)Acitta Wrote: Engage Kitchener: Walter Bean Trail Improvement

The Walter Bean Trail connects Doon Valley Golf Course in the south of the City to Kiwanis Park in the north. The trail consists of large stones with granular infill. This provides a walkable and rideable (bikes, strollers) surface.

This project includes just over 3 km of the trail, from the Hidden Valley low-lift station and weir to the pump station off Pioneer Tower Road. This section is located around the periphery of the Deer Ridge Golf Course and within the overbanks of the Grand River.

Over time, this section of the trail has become damaged through riverine erosion action and ice floes. We have identified the need to develop a long-term and sustainable solution to maintaining the trail for all users, instead of significant annual repairs and associated costs that the City has been incurring.

The City understands that the local community uses the trail frequently and have been asking for the trail to be repaired and in a good condition.

The City will be evaluating options for improving the trail, with the objective of preventing trail damage from erosion and ice floes. Once an option has been selected, the City will initiate the design of the trail and provide an opportunity for the public to provide input into the design prior to design completion.

I definitely thought this trail was beautiful the whole way starting from Galt. Had a pretty rude awakening once I got to this area… yikes it was in bad shape.