Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 06-26-2017

(06-25-2017, 10:37 AM)KevinL Wrote: I believe there's a proposal to put a trail bridge over the Expressway near the hydro corridor, to connect Sunrise Centre and the Activa neighbourhood to this area. Not sure how far along it is, or how much support it has.

I would love for this to be the case, but does anyone know more about it?

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 06-26-2017

(06-26-2017, 02:03 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 10:37 AM)KevinL Wrote: I believe there's a proposal to put a trail bridge over the Expressway near the hydro corridor, to connect Sunrise Centre and the Activa neighbourhood to this area. Not sure how far along it is, or how much support it has.

I would love for this to be the case, but does anyone know more about it?

I believe it appears on long term trails planning documents.  There is no detailed plans for it, let alone funding.

RE: Trails - Canard - 06-26-2017

(06-26-2017, 07:55 AM)jamincan Wrote: It extends west to Monarch Wood. He's talking about this area here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Henry+Sturm+Greenway,+Kitchener,+ON,+Canada/@43.437916,-80.5182205,16.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x882bf458305ef8df:0x2938a9272dbaf955!8m2!3d43.4441794!4d-80.5019046?hl=en-CA

Ohhhh, I know the exact section you're talking about! Right before the tunnels. Google says it's the "Filsinger Natural Area", hence my confusion. Yes, that is for sure the roughest, most "disconnected" section of the whole trail. Definitely due for an upgrade. Is there a list somewhere that shows timelines for trails like this to be completed?

RE: Trails - Coke6pk - 06-27-2017

(06-25-2017, 05:43 PM)Canard Wrote: Found this oddity in the "Kolb Greenway".

https://goo.gl/EW41tu

That's my backyard! Smile

The path to the far left is the actual Walter Bean Trail.  The middle path is used by the city when they use backhoes, etc to dredge out the storm water ponds every 5 years or so.  Its also used by the kids to access the ponds to catch frogs.

The path to the right leads directly into the 1st pond, and I'm sure the city has some reason for that (and the other access ramp on the 2nd pond)

I love the Walter Bean trailhead... about 30 years ago I made a donation to get my name on a trailhead sign, and never knew where it was placed.  When I moved to this neighbourhood 5 years ago, we walked down to the river and found my name... It was meant to be! Smile

Coke

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 06-28-2017

Looks more like someone crashed into it. Hope they weren't injured.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 06-29-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Looks more like someone crashed into it. Hope they weren't injured.

????

RE: Trails - KevinL - 06-29-2017

So alongside the roundabout work on Ottawa South, the sidewalks on the south side of the road have been torn up much further west than the main project - beyond Strasburg, I think to the McLennan Park entrance.

The only reason I can see for doing that is to put in an MUT. Are there any official sources on this?

RE: Trails - Smore - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 11:27 AM)KevinL Wrote: So alongside the roundabout work on Ottawa South, the sidewalks on the south side of the road have been torn up much further west than the main project - beyond Strasburg, I think to the McLennan Park entrance.

The only reason I can see for doing that is to put in an MUT. Are there any official sources on this?

In another area - is there a MUT going in along new Bingemans Centre Dr/Shirley?  Theres a lot of space on the north side that is graded...

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-29-2017

Has anyone seen a motorbike using the trails in Kitchener lately?

Not the by-law dirtbike, not a mountain bike with a little engine on it, not an e-bike, but an actual motorbike.

I could have sworn I've seen one along the IHT trail near West and Victoria a few times in the last week or so.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 10:15 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Has anyone seen a motorbike using the trails in Kitchener lately?

Not the by-law dirtbike, not a mountain bike with a little engine on it, not an e-bike, but an actual motorbike.

I could have sworn I've seen one along the IHT trail near West and Victoria a few times in the last week or so.

I have seen a few doing this.  

Beware though, apparently Kitchener bylaw is using a Zero electric ebike but they are almost entirely unbranded, you'd never know it was bylaw until reading it in the paper.

I do see a Vespa and the like using the trail from time to time.  Very frustrating.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 06-30-2017

The iron horse trail continues to flood as a result of the hydro work that has been done adjacent too it.

*sigh*

RE: Trails - panamaniac - 06-30-2017

Is that the segment between Glasgow and Union? Is the berm new?

(06-30-2017, 10:17 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is that the segment between Glasgow and Union?  Is the berm new?

Yes and yes.  I have been told that dewatering will take place by the contractor.

Also, apparently KW Hydro was only doing the poles, the grading and berm is done by the contractor, my mistake.

RE: Trails - panamaniac - 06-30-2017

What was the rationale for the berm?

(06-30-2017, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What was the rationale for the berm?

I'm not sure, it has something to do with the work being done on the site, but I am not privy to any details.  There is a strong indication however that there will be trail connection(s?) into the site.

On the flip side, I wish there were official trail connections into the businesses on the other side.  Would have made for less backtracking and bushwhacking to get around the flooding but also you know, trails should connect to destinations--crazy thought I know.