Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 12:24 PM)Markster Wrote:
(07-21-2015, 11:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I disagree, that land along both sides of the laurel creek on the university north campus is supposed to be environmental reserve, but the university and city keep finding ways to build and pave things.

I understand your point, but I'm all for paved pedestrian trails.  I don't particularly feel that 3m wide paved recreational trails is a significant impact, compared to the adjacent acres of parking lots.

As a pedestrian, I personally prefer well-maintained but unpaved trails.  Even a gravel trail is more pleasant for walking than pavement.  (That said, it does limit, though not prevent, accessibility for wheelchairs and strollers.)

RE: Trails - Canard - 07-22-2015

I prefer pavement to risking rolling an ankle on rocks.

And it does rain.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 07:38 PM)Canard Wrote: I prefer pavement to risking rolling an ankle on rocks.

The rocks on gravel roads and paths are really, really, really small.  Big Grin

RE: Trails - Canard - 07-22-2015

In some places, sure. Many paths are rocky. This is coming from a guy who loves to hike trails on weekends. But I'm just saying, in the city? Pavement trails plz. I'm tired of hiking back and forth from the parking lot at Waterloo Park to get to the ion construction and tripping over boulders. I can't wait until they re-do the trail along that section.

RE: Trails - Waterlooer - 07-22-2015

It's such a pain walking on the Laurel Trail through Waterloo Park in the Spring... it gets way too muddy.

RE: Trails - clasher - 07-23-2015

(07-22-2015, 11:57 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 08:54 AM)clasher Wrote: This seems like the perfect place to use porous asphalt. I'm sure the university could also re-pave all its parking lots with porous asphalt and that would have a huge impact on stormwater runoff.

My impression is that porous asphalt technology is not yet in a state that makes it practical in cold climates.

The US EPA seems to think that it is, they mention its use in New Hampshire and how the drainage in the winter helps reduce ice formation and the lots that were paved didn't need as much salt because of this. I think if it works in New Hampshire it would work here too. Especially if it's used on trails, ice is a big danger to pedestrians and cyclists.

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 12:16 PM)clasher Wrote: The US EPA seems to think that it is, they mention its use in New Hampshire and how the drainage in the winter helps reduce ice formation and the lots that were paved didn't need as much salt because of this. I think if it works in New Hampshire it would work here too. Especially if it's used on trails, ice is a big danger to pedestrians and cyclists.

Here's a more recent study from Minnesota: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TS/2012/2012-12.pdf

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 07-23-2015

(07-22-2015, 12:10 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Persons with disabilities, families with carts/buggies/strollers and wheelchair users will find these paved trails wonderful additions that open up the community and open spaces to all.

Thanks City of Waterloo keep up the great work on open access. A much needed and welcome new trail.

I am all for increased accessibility, my criticism was that the university's words are speaking louder than their actions in terms of keeping as true to the "environmental reserve" terminology as possible. If it is a green space, or amenity area, or recreation area than just all it what it is, don't pretend to be something that it is not.

RE: Trails - MacBerry - 07-24-2015

(07-22-2015, 12:46 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 12:11 PM)plam Wrote: Not sure about snow clearing. I can't remember what happened in winter there.

The section north of the lake and west of R+T isn't cleared. In my experience it's impassable by foot during most of winter, except by the most determined users. Snow shoes, skis or crampons are generally required depending on the state of the trail.

As for porous pavement I share the same concern about durability over winter freeze/thaw cycles that others have expressed. 

I'm thinking as I get older and hills are more daunting I really need one of these in my garage for winter fun! Trail or no trail!   Cool  

[Image: xxERoL1.jpg]

RE: Trails - ookpik - 07-24-2015

My budget only allows for this...

[Image: 28alpuq.jpg]

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 07-24-2015

That's pretty advanced.  Maybe a traditional kick-sled?

[Image: a00a9e5eab9e0a8adb16bf16331a8b08.jpg]

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 08-06-2015

Asphalt is now down for 90% of the way between Moore and Roger on the new multi-use spur trail. There was also a whole lot of rolling on the Regina to William section today and the offloading of paving equipment next to Paul Puncher so I'm guessing that section was started late this afternoon or early tomorrow.

RE: Trails - zanate - 08-07-2015

(08-06-2015, 11:05 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Asphalt is now down for 90% of the way between Moore and Roger on the new multi-use spur trail. There was also a whole lot of rolling on the Regina to William section today and the offloading of paving equipment next to Paul Puncher so I'm guessing that section was started late this afternoon or early tomorrow.

Some small changes near Paul Puncher. The rail crossing next to the culvert (which has been hard to navigate for the last week because they pulled out the concrete riser pieces that let you roll over the rails) has had a section of asphalt added in between the rails. Nothing else yet but it looks like paving may be imminent.

Excite! I can't begin to express how awesome the improvements to the "Waterloop" have been, and when the Spur trail is done it will take me right home. I bike this route every day and this year has been like Christmas over and over and over.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 08-07-2015

First layer of asphalt, except for a 50m section near William, is now down between Regina and Allen.

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 08-10-2015

It's definitely coming along, there are a few sections of asphalt. Does anyone know when it is forecast to be fully complete?