Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 09-13-2015

(09-12-2015, 09:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Surely they would be grandfathered if the zoning were changed.

(09-12-2015, 05:44 PM)jamincan Wrote: Don't most zoning by-laws have clauses that permit preexisting uses?

I don't think zoning change is at issue. My guess is that to conform to parking requirements for commercial use under existing zoning, Len's Mill used the parking on what is now the Region's right-of-way. Without that parking, they may no longer be in compliance with the by-law.

RE: Trails - Markster - 09-13-2015

I think that's what everyone's taking about. They wouldn't be in compliance, but since it's the government initiating the change, they should get grandfathered in.

Though... it's possible that during the initial zoning application, they acquired the lease for that parking as a condition of the zoning change, and so termination of that would call into question the ongoing permission. They could be compelled to find some alternate arrangement, or show that they parking was not required. If they apply to have the parking requirement reduced, they could be chased after for cash-in-lieu payments, which would be in the $100,000s, for that much parking.

Yeah, for potentially very expensive reasons, they need to toe exactly the line they're going with: "We got permission for this parking. It's not our fault that you're taking it away."

RE: Trails - zanate - 09-14-2015

It's worth pointing out that Len's Mill customers really do use the parking available. I've seen cars lined along the side of the building all the way back and more cars in the small front lot.

Anyway, this whole issue is clouded in confusion. First, I thought that Len's Mill was encroaching. Then I heard they had a long-term lease on that ROW. But when did the lease start? How long was it for? Then I heard they'd be able to keep that lease until the property was redeveloped. Now the story is the region is trying to get this sorted out in the next year or so. So what happened to the lease?

RE: Trails - nms - 09-14-2015

The Region has only owned the Waterloo Spur since 2000; a tourist railway owned it before then, and then CN before that. Len's Mill has been around longer than that so my guess is that the Region inherited this lease when they bought the Waterloo Spur. When they did, I'm sure they inherited a number of formal and informal encroachments which have lain dormant until the trail went in, and when the LRT construction began.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 09-17-2015

Pavement on the spur trail now runs from Regina to Guelph, and Weber to Ahrens, leaving only Guelph to Wilhelm to finish.

RE: Trails - highlander - 09-22-2015

Work was started today on the short section of trail that goes from the south end of Belmont into Lakeside park.

Not sure why my picture isn't showing up, but its here: http://imgur.com/gallery/zCRmkPj

RE: Trails - KevinL - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 10:19 PM)highlander Wrote: Work was started today on the short section of trail that goes from the south end of Belmont into Lakeside park.

They're finally making that proper and official, then? It's been a well-worn footpath for as long as I can remember (that's 30+ years).

RE: Trails - zanate - 09-23-2015

(09-17-2015, 09:07 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Pavement on the spur trail now runs from Regina to Guelph, and Weber to Ahrens, leaving only Guelph to Wilhelm to finish.

This is Spur Trail @ Ferdinand (the stub end of Peltz Ave, between Guelph St and Roger.)

[Image: dhmPuD1.jpg]

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 09-23-2015

IHT is paved as far as the eye can see south from Gage; construction fence is still up.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 09-29-2015

The draft IHT improvement strategy report is now posted.
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/resources/INS_Iron_Horse_Trail_Improvement_Strategy_DRAFT.pdf

It has 4 pages of recommendations:
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/resources/INS_Iron_Horse_Trail_Summary_of_Recommendations__Implementation.pdf

Some of the recommendations have been costed:
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/resources/INS_Iron_Horse_Trail_Improvement_Strategy_Cost_estimate_for_website.pdf

The draft concept for dealing with Victoria @ West essentially just formalizes what is already being done by most; which I find very dangerous to do given the combination of blind corner, slight hill, and excessive speed on West.

The report goes to Kitchener City council on October 19.

If you haven't seen the panel boards for the public meeting that was held there is a lot of useful information and data:
Panel 1: Major Themes
Full Size (PDF)

Panel 2: Community Comments
Full Size (PDF)

Panel 3: Trail Data
Full Size (PDF)

Panel 4: Public Workshop
Full Size (PDF)

Panel 5: Trail History
Full Size (PDF)

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 10-01-2015

IHT reopened Wednesday afternoon. Feels wider than previously. Slightly different "intersection" at the Cherry St/Patricia Ave "exit", but the grade is about the same up the hill; perhaps they will adjust that at a later date.

RE: Trails - ookpik - 10-15-2015

This really belongs in a "General Cycling, Walking, Transit Discussion" thread but none exists so...

Waterloo Region to update commitment to cycling, walking, transit 
Quote:The region will reaffirm its commitment to cycling, transit and walking as part of an update to its transportation master plan.

"Roads are not going to be abandoned obviously," said Coun. Tom Galloway. "Cars are going to continue to be the main mode of transportation but we are going to try to once again ratchet up some other modes."

Galloway is part of a project team that will oversee the update. It's expected to be complete in 2017 and will guide transportation planning in the Region of Waterloo to 2041.

The plan to be updated is called Moving Forward and was completed by the region in 2010 to guide transportation planning and spending to 2031.

A consultant will be hired later this year to conduct the study and will consider key drivers of change as part of the work.

Those include the aging population and demographic and employment changes, growth forecasts, driverless vehicles and electric cars and trains...

RE: Trails - Smore - 10-15-2015

(09-23-2015, 11:25 AM)zanate Wrote:
(09-17-2015, 09:07 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Pavement on the spur trail now runs from Regina to Guelph, and Weber to Ahrens, leaving only Guelph to Wilhelm to finish.

This is Spur Trail @ Ferdinand (the stub end of Peltz Ave, between Guelph St and Roger.)

[Image: dhmPuD1.jpg]

Spur Trail now paved to Wilhelm!!

RE: Trails - Markster - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 08:29 PM)Smore Wrote: Spur Trail now paved to Wilhelm!!
Also to Weber!

And I'm having a devil of a time trying to get Google Maps to start using this thing as a bike route. Curse you, Mapmaker!

RE: Trails - KevinL - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 08:45 PM)Markster Wrote: And I'm having a devil of a time trying to get Google Maps to start using this thing as a bike route.  Curse you, Mapmaker!

Somehow it hasn't been registered as a cycling 'trail' in the underlying data; it has no green line in Cycling view like one would expect.