Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 03:05 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: As for crowding, it's mostly in the afternoon on weekends, when the park is really busy, and the busiest section is between Victoria and Queen (the other sections are probably not too busy).  If there's a festival, it will be really really busy.

And again, it's not that it's impossible to use, just that it becomes annoying, and occasionally a little dangerous.

Kind of like the road congestion at rush hour for motor vehicles. Which we generally do accept for roads. Smile

RE: Trails - Viewfromthe42 - 03-21-2018

That should tell you that if you want to expect easy passing between users going opposite directions, or faster users passing slower ones, 1.8m x 2 = 3.6m is the minimum realistic width.

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-21-2018

No, when roads get crowded we instantly build 2x more lanes. So MUT’s should get the same treatment. Big Grin

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 04:09 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: That should tell you that if you want to expect easy passing between users going opposite directions, or faster users passing slower ones, 1.8m x 2 = 3.6m is the minimum realistic width.

Not sure I agree.  It depends a lot on the speed of such users.  A 1.8 meter sidewalk is enough space for peds to pass each other.  Cyclists need more space because they're going faster.  2.6 is a realistic minimum space.

The real problem with our MUT is mixing peds and cyclists, traveling the same direction.  Groups of peds tend to spread out to consume all space.  When you mix kids and pets, you end up having a situation where the whole right of way might be blocked.  Now yes, there's room for them to move, but it takes time.  

Separating peds and cyclists is a good option, if enough space is built, i.e., 1.5-1.8 meters for peds, and 2.6-3.6 meters for bikes.

Having different trails is great (for bikes and pedestrians), but nobody will still be happy. I rode Toronto’s waterfront trail last weekend and love the Separation (sidewalk near the water, bike path closer to Lakeshore). But you still get joggers wandering all over and I had to slam on my brakes for some lady changing her baby’s diaper in a stroller in the middle of the cyclepath. People gonna be people.

More width will be welcome for sure, though.

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 04:19 PM)Canard Wrote: No, when roads get crowded we instantly build 2x more lanes. So MUT’s should get the same treatment. Big Grin

Well, I don’t know about “instantly”, but certainly many people seem to think we should widen “instantly” for roads. I wonder how many of those people would support the much less expensive policy of widening all bicycle routes as much as needed to keep them flowing smoothly?

The people you're talking about generally don't care and would not support it, because they don't use them.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 03-22-2018

Why was the IHT bridge replacement included in the RFP if there was no budget for the item?

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-22-2018

(03-22-2018, 09:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Why was the IHT bridge replacement included in the RFP if there was no budget for the item?

There was budget, given staff's estimates.  But the bids came in over budget, so the bridge was cut to get the project within the budget.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 03-23-2018

(03-22-2018, 10:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 09:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Why was the IHT bridge replacement included in the RFP if there was no budget for the item?

There was budget, given staff's estimates.  But the bids came in over budget, so the bridge was cut to get the project within the budget.

That's not how the staff report reads to me:

It sounds like they put it in with the hopes that the bids that came in would include the bridge AND be within the funding envelope they had.

Perhaps I am misreading or not understanding.

Regardless, I hope the work starts soon so the trail isn't disrupted for all of the nicer weather months. My fear is that the work will take longer than expected and the trail will be out of commission for all of the nicer weather months.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 07:58 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 10:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There was budget, given staff's estimates.  But the bids came in over budget, so the bridge was cut to get the project within the budget.

That's not how the staff report reads to me:

It sounds like they put it in with the hopes that the bids that came in would include the bridge AND be within the funding envelope they had.

Perhaps I am misreading or not understanding.

Regardless, I hope the work starts soon so the trail isn't disrupted for all of the nicer weather months. My fear is that the work will take longer than expected and the trail will be out of commission for all of the nicer weather months.

I don't think that's different from what I said.  In any case, I'm not privy to insider knowledge here, I don't really know more about what happened than any of us.

I also share your fears of a continued closure.  It is frustrating, as there could easily be a reasonably safe low cost detour built with temporary materials using Homewood Ave., the trail, and Belmont up to Belmont Village.  Belmont is way overbuilt and has room to close one lane (with pylons for example) to make room for a cycleway.  But I doubt they will bother with this.  Instead people who were only comfortable on the trail will be given a detour of taking the lane on busy roads.

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-23-2018

Waitwait. There is no detour planned??

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 03:14 PM)Canard Wrote: Waitwait. There is no detour planned??

I'm not sure if it has been planned yet, but there probably will be one posted, Kitchener is improved in that regard.  But I doubt it will be a suitable replacement for the trail for people who aren't comfortable riding on a road like Belmont.

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-23-2018

I guess I just always assumed there would be a gravel trail like 5 m to the left of where they’re working. Argh!

So, looking at a map... I guess this will be the detour?!  Queen is awful to cycle on there...

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 03-23-2018

Homewood and West are nice quiet streets. It would be nice if they could avoid the stretch on Queen St though.