Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 03-24-2018

That's only if they do one segment at a time.

If they do the entire stretch, from the fresh asphalt under the GEXR tracks (near Catalyst137) down to the south side of Queen, at once the detour becomes:

Or:

Or:

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-24-2018

I rode that new MUT in Cambridge today, on Conestoga Blvd.  I like it!

I hadn't ridden the older section before.  I thought this signage was interesting:

But not as interesting as this, which made me laugh and shake my head:

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-24-2018

On my way home, I decided for once in my life I'd cross a closed barrier:

...and was rewarded appropriately:

Lesson learned. Blush

RE: Trails - jamincan - 03-24-2018

At the same time, I encountered a closed trail sign on the Walter Bean Trail south of Victoria a little while ago and the trail was fine. I'm not sure how regularly they inspect conditions and adjust signage.

RE: Trails - plam - 03-24-2018

I was just on the Lexington crossing of the 85 for the first time today. The highway crossing itself is OK (though I'd appreciate more curbs segregating the bike infrastructure). But going eastbound on Lexington after crossing the highway you get to Davenport and there's a hard stop to the bike infrastructure, which has you going against traffic?!

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-25-2018

(03-24-2018, 11:20 PM)plam Wrote: I was just on the Lexington crossing of the 85 for the first time today. The highway crossing itself is OK (though I'd appreciate more curbs segregating the bike infrastructure). But going eastbound on Lexington after crossing the highway you get to Davenport and there's a hard stop to the bike infrastructure, which has you going against traffic?!

Yes.  Incredibly frustrating.  I have spoken with the people who built it and still have no idea what they were thinking.

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-28-2018

April 30 for bridge placement; targeting July 1 for opening.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 04-10-2018

I was at Huron Natural area a while ago and was surprised at the amount of work being done on the trails.

I had no idea the new trail would connect all the way to Strasburg near Huron Heights SS (light green line below on middle right):

RE: Trails - timio - 04-10-2018

I'm curious if there are plans to build up the purple trail through the marshy section. The only time I've been able to get through the entire loop is during winter.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 04-10-2018

Timio - if you head into the purple section, there's a fork shortly after the start of the trail. It seems like you're supposed to continue left, but the correct fork is actually the right one, and it will lead you around the marsh and through the full loop.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 04-10-2018

The end of purple trail was closed off when we were there, but was significant work (tree removal to make trail wider, grading to make the slopes gentler, stone dust path, armour stone to keep everything in place, etc.). I have a picture of the progress somewhere I can share when I find it.

RE: Trails - timio - 04-10-2018

I've always tried the perimeter trail, which seems to be the most traveled of all forks. It's been a few years since I last tried, but most of my attempts end up with me having to turn around and run out due to the massive swarms of mosquitoes that discovered fresh meat.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 04-11-2018

I'll have to check it out. If the changes are as you describe, that's a little disappointing. The purple trail always felt a little more wilderness-like than most of the other ones, and it seems this will significantly alter the character of it.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 04-11-2018

I agree, it did have a distinctive character to it. I was actually quit surprised by the magnitude of change given this is a "natural" area - it does not look natural any more.

RE: Trails - Canard - 04-11-2018

Happy there are so many fans of this place! Always felt like it was an awesome little hidden gem, we love going for walks there