Waterloo Region Connected
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C (/showthread.php?tid=38)

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - KevinL - 04-09-2019

I'm puzzled about the plaza news particularly because there's no vehicle access from King. That has to limit business quite severely.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - jordan2423 - 04-09-2019

(04-09-2019, 12:19 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 11:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Whenever the development happens, it's likely to be staged, istm.  Construction of the whole thing could take a decade or more.

Kinda like the Barrel Yards in Waterloo -- that's a long project. I can't even remember when they broke ground, maybe 10 years ago? And they're still at it.

That is crazy. If you think about how long it takes to build projects here compared to other places around the world.
For example, they built the Palm Island in Dubai in 5-7 years.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - tomh009 - 04-09-2019

Dubai government doesn't need to worry about getting funding or overshooting the demand.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - jeffster - 04-10-2019

(04-09-2019, 03:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Dubai government doesn't need to worry about getting funding or overshooting the demand.

Also, they don't need to worry as much about safety protocols and stuff. Lots of red tape around here, the city, the province, the country. Not that there is anything wrong with that, as we don't want poor construction or people dying on builds as a fact of life.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - ijmorlan - 04-10-2019

(04-09-2019, 03:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Dubai government doesn't need to worry about getting funding or overshooting the demand.

Dubai government is all about overshooting the demand.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - jordan2423 - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 06:55 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Dubai government is all about overshooting the demand.

Yes this is partly true actually. I was there recently and just heard about how the housing prices there are going down due to lack of demand. But, I do not see that lasting for long.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - Rainrider22 - 04-17-2019

Well according the the article in the Kitchener News, https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/9287183-what-s-going-on-here-now-sales-office-being-built-for-massive-midtown-condo-development/

They are starting construction of the sales centre and hope to have it open by the fall to start sales of the "first tower". That is more positive action then we have seen in a a while..

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - tomh009 - 04-17-2019

That could mean a construction start next year, if they are successful in selling units. Or it might take 2-3 years if it's more like City Centre condo sales. Much will depend on how they price their units.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - Momo26 - 04-17-2019

These will not sell like City Centre condo sales did. Unless all estimates for population growth/demand is completely out of wack, I guarantee the first phase will sell out* in less than 7 sales days from opening (would not surprise me if there is a 1-day sell out to be honest).

*sold out in terms of units released for that sales in particular, not taking into account any that might be held back/phased for later dates

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - tomh009 - 04-17-2019

Certainly the demand is up. But there is also much more supply, with Young and Garment condos available, plus DTK and Charlie West under construction.

It could be you are right. But price will certainly be a factor as well.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - Momo26 - 04-17-2019

Pricing is a very delicate game, there is no doubt. You would think the prices are not reaching a point of plateau, but I could be surprised so say the least. Let's see, interesting times ahead!

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - Spokes - 04-18-2019

(04-17-2019, 10:02 AM)Momo26 Wrote: These will not sell like City Centre condo sales did. Unless all estimates for population growth/demand is completely out of wack, I guarantee the first phase will sell out* in less than 7 sales days from opening (would not surprise me if there is a 1-day sell out to be honest).

*sold out in terms of units released for that sales in particular, not taking into account any that might be held back/phased for later dates

But there was demand within the market and Young still struggled to sell....why?

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - ac3r - 04-24-2019

(04-18-2019, 12:33 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 10:02 AM)Momo26 Wrote: These will not sell like City Centre condo sales did. Unless all estimates for population growth/demand is completely out of wack, I guarantee the first phase will sell out* in less than 7 sales days from opening (would not surprise me if there is a 1-day sell out to be honest).

But there was demand within the market and Young still struggled to sell....why?

Most people will sum that up in two words: Andrin Homes. They have a notorious reputation for hastily building - at times - to poor standards and a pain to deal with in regards to just about anything. Negative reviews follow them. I don't know how much this influenced their snail's pace with building City Centre, now Young, or if it's something else.

Regarding Sixo, Tower 1 is listed as cancelled on Emporis. Is this one of the old tower designs, since that page says 30 floors? Link: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1405579/sixo-midtown-tower-1-kitchener-canada

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - panamaniac - 04-24-2019

If I were a betting man, I would wager that the SIXO site will see renovation of the Kaufman mansion and perhaps one new building completed in the next five years.

RE: Station Park (née SIXO) | 28 + 20? + 12? + ? fl | Proposed - taylortbb - 05-23-2019

Looks like the new owner is attempting to lease the current building. https://www.commerciallistings.cbre.ca/en-CA/listings/office/details/CA-Plus-4664/607-king-street-w-kitchener-n2g-1c7?view=isLetting

The fact it's 1-3 year terms I think suggests Van Mar is planning to wait out the current downtown building boom before trying to sell units here, but hasn't abandoned plans entirely.