Waterloo Region Connected
Ayr Commons - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Townships (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ayr Commons (/showthread.php?tid=399)

Pages: 1 2

Ayr Commons - jgsz - 04-18-2015

Last month a large, 24 hour Foodland (part of the Sobeys chain) opened in Ayr at the new Ayr Commons.   It has a large LCBO and Beer Store inside the store.  

Ayr Commons will also have a Tim Hortons plus one other stand alone business.   Construction has already started.

RE: Ayr Commons - The85 - 04-19-2015

I'm surprised it took this long for Ayr to get a Tim Hortons and a grocery store for that matter. For a town of it's size and proximity to the 401/97 Cedar Creek industrial area, it will do well.

RE: Ayr Commons - jgsz - 04-19-2015

(04-19-2015, 12:26 PM)The85 Wrote: I'm surprised it took this long for Ayr to get a Tim Hortons and a grocery store for that matter. For a town of it's size and proximity to the 401/97 Cedar Creek industrial area, it will do well.

Actually, Ayr had a Foodland (with Beer Store and LCBO) on Gibson Street but a larger store was needed to meet demand.  Tim Hortons will be new.  And they will do well.  Yesterday the place was packed. 

RE: Ayr Commons - DHLawrence - 04-19-2015

Was the Foodland originally a Knechtel? I remember seeing that once when I was a kid.

RE: Ayr Commons - jgsz - 04-19-2015

(04-19-2015, 02:11 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Was the Foodland originally a Knechtel? I remember seeing that once when I was a kid.

That was before I lived in this area.  But if there was a Knechtel it wouldn't have been hidden on Gibson St.  It would have been in one of the old building on Northumberland or Stanley Street. 

By the way, I found this in Wikipedia under Sobeys:

Quote:Link

Former grocery banners

• Commisso's Food Markets in Ontario were rebranded as Sobeys and Price Chopper.

• Food City from the Oshawa Group in Ontario were mainly rebranded as Price Chopper.

• Garden Market IGA stores in Western Canada were rebranded as Sobeys.

• Dutch Boy, a chain in the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario, was rebranded as Sobeys.

• Knechtel, a small-market grocery store chain under Oshawa Group, was rebranded as Foodland.

• Lofood, a small discount grocery store, was rebranded as Price Chopper.

• Calbeck's, an independent chain acquired in 1990, was rebranded as Sobeys, Price Chopper and Foodland

RE: Ayr Commons - ookpik - 04-20-2015

(04-19-2015, 02:11 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Was the Foodland originally a Knechtel? I remember seeing that once when I was a kid.

Very likely. The Knechtel name continues, at least in Lion's Head as Foodland - Hellyer's Knechtel Food Market

(I still occasionally stock up on groceries there when staying on that part of the Bruce Peninsula. It's as close as you can get to a Central Meat Market in that part of the world.)

P.S. There's also Knechtels is now independent in Lucknow. At least the owners have a valid claim to the name.

RE: Ayr Commons - Eastaver - 04-20-2015

It was indeed a Knechtels during the 90's.

RE: Ayr Commons - jgsz - 08-05-2015

Tim Hortons at the Ayr Commons, on Northumberland Street, is almost ready to open.  In the spring I thought there might be two stand alone buildings but I was wrong.  Both Foodland and Tim Hortons are/will be open 24 hours.  

RE: Ayr Commons - ac3r - 05-23-2017

Knechtel...that brings me back. Now I've remembered IGA and Dutch Boy, the latter of which if my memory serves me right, had a big two floor grocery store back in the day (well, one floor, they had a basement level).

RE: Ayr Commons - embe - 05-23-2017

Wow, that's digging deep. The Dutch Boy on Highland in Kitchener may have had a somewhat sketchy lower level. And yes the Knechtels (Foodland) in Ayr used to be on Gibson Street.

RE: Ayr Commons - panamaniac - 05-24-2017

(05-23-2017, 09:32 PM)embe Wrote: Wow, that's digging deep.  The Dutch Boy on Highland in Kitchener may have had a somewhat sketchy lower level.  And yes the Knechtels (Foodland) in Ayr used to be on Gibson Street.

I don't think so.  I worked there for a number of years as a student and I have no recollection of any basement.

RE: Ayr Commons - DHLawrence - 05-24-2017

There was one on Franklin Street near the Highway 8 cut; could that have been the one with the basement?

RE: Ayr Commons - kps - 05-24-2017

The Dutch Boy on Margaret Ave (now a Giant Tiger) had a basement. I recall housewares and such being downstairs.

RE: Ayr Commons - TMKM94 - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 09:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:32 PM)embe Wrote: Wow, that's digging deep.  The Dutch Boy on Highland in Kitchener may have had a somewhat sketchy lower level.  And yes the Knechtels (Foodland) in Ayr used to be on Gibson Street.

I don't think so.  I worked there for a number of years as a student and I have no recollection of any basement.

I work at the Highland Sobeys as a Night Crew Grocery clerk. There is a basement there but it's not accessible to customers. The door to it is in the stock room area and it's locked. As far as I know no one ever goes down there not even the Managers. 

RE: Ayr Commons - Section ThirtyOne - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 10:31 AM)kps Wrote: The Dutch Boy on Margaret Ave (now a Giant Tiger) had a basement. I recall housewares and such being downstairs.

Yep, that was the one with the basement level. Toys, housewares, etc were all on the lower level.