Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Elmira Guy - 03-30-2017

/\ I have no issues with people posting their opinions here, even opinions different from my own, as that makes the forum more enjoyable.
Of course I have posted my own opinion here. While I may challenge someone's position, I have never attacked anyone for simply having or stating an opinion as you now accuse me of doing.

What I don't like, and what I took exception with in your comment are blanket generalisations. Please show me a post of mine where I have attributed one blanket attitude or view to an entire city or community.

Your comment came off as angry rather than sarcastic to me. Your words seemed to express a true sentiment rather than one of sarcasm. I apologise if I mistook your intention.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-30-2017

(03-29-2017, 09:15 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Work has started on a 8 story apartment building at 599 Strasburg Rd, already a large amount of excavation has been done.

Yeah, that excavation has been sitting there for nearly two years with no actual construction as yet. There is activity at the site, yes, but given the previous rate of progress I won't hold my breath.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 04:27 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ I have no issues with people posting their opinions here, even opinions different from my own, as that makes the forum more enjoyable.
Of course I have posted my own opinion here. While I may challenge someone's position, I have never attacked anyone for simply having or stating an opinion as you now accuse me of doing.

What I don't like, and what I took exception with in your comment are blanket generalisations. Please show me a post of mine where I have attributed one blanket attitude or view to an entire city or community.

Your comment came off as angry rather than sarcastic to me. Your words seemed to express a true sentiment rather than one of sarcasm. I apologise if I mistook your intention.
Well you are wrong. It was strict sacracsim. You don't know me. You don't know I thing about me or what I advocate for. You have know idea how much charity work I have done yoy have no idea the importance of democracy to me. You choose to go down a negative path. If you weren't sure of my statement you could have simply asked for clarification. That's what I do to truly understand someone's sles position. Even in your response you choose the word angy. I am not remotely angry. All this has zero net effect on my life. But it is all good. I sleep very well at night. To be clear. I am not angry. I was simply poking some fun at a city that prides itself as being so smart. 

Nothing more complicated than that.  I will gladly sit amnd talk over a beer ibperson but I will not discuss feelings, attributes of one's self, or moral high ground on a website. 

Why don't we all just stick to what this site is intended for. To learn about building projects that are happening in our great Region.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 07:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 04:27 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: /\ I have no issues with people posting their opinions here, even opinions different from my own, as that makes the forum more enjoyable.

Well you are wrong. It was strict sacracsim. You don't know me. You don't know I thing about me or what I advocate for. You have know idea how much charity work I have done yoy have no idea the importance of democracy to me. You choose to go down a negative path. If you weren't sure of my statement you could have simply asked for clarification. That's what I do to truly understand someone's sles position. Even in your response you choose the word angy. I am not remotely angry. All this has zero net effect on my life. But it is all good. I sleep very well at night. To be clear. I am not angry. I was simply poking some fun at a city that prides itself as being so smart. 

Nothing more complicated than that.  I will gladly sit amnd talk over a beer ibperson but I will not discuss feelings, attributes of one's self, or moral high ground on a website. 

Why don't we all just stick to what this site is intended for. To learn about building projects that are happening in our great Region.

He may have been wrong in understanding your comment, but perhaps you should consider why he was wrong, and how your statements might be perceived by others, especially in a medium where sarcasm isn't necessarily clear.

For what it's worth, I chose to ignore your comment, but I also didn't take it as sarcastic.

You seem extremely defensive in this reply, was that intended?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 08:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 07:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Well you are wrong. It was strict sacracsim. You don't know me. You don't know I thing about me or what I advocate for. You have know idea how much charity work I have done yoy have no idea the importance of democracy to me. You choose to go down a negative path. If you weren't sure of my statement you could have simply asked for clarification. That's what I do to truly understand someone's sles position. Even in your response you choose the word angy. I am not remotely angry. All this has zero net effect on my life. But it is all good. I sleep very well at night. To be clear. I am not angry. I was simply poking some fun at a city that prides itself as being so smart. 

He may have been wrong in understanding your comment, but perhaps you should consider why he was wrong, and how your statements might be perceived by others, especially in a medium where sarcasm isn't necessarily clear.

For what it's worth, I chose to ignore your comment, but I also didn't take it as sarcastic.

You seem extremely defensive in this reply, was that intended?

Anybody who has formal training in communication understands that written words are a lessor form of good communication then verbal communication. So I will not continue this discussion on line,  I welcome talking over a beer face to face though...

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - The85 - 03-30-2017

(03-30-2017, 07:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Why don't we all just stick to what this site is intended for. To learn about building projects that are happening in our great Region.

I think this is a good idea folks.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Elmira Guy - 03-31-2017

Look, I don't come here in search of arguments, but largely to learn about a number of different things. To that end I occasionally, though not often, post comments and questions.

Your original comment did not come across to me as sarcasm, hence the nature of my response. Clearly I misunderstood your intent. Hardly a rare occurrence on forums.

I am happy to move past it.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 04-05-2017

Kitchener City Council has rejected another proposal endorsed by the planning committee, this time a planned student housing development near Conestoga College. This I suspect will go to the OMB and again in this case the developer seems like they will be the upper hand, not that I disagree.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7225957-kitchener-councillors-reject-controversial-student-housing-plan

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 04-05-2017

First the residents complain that it's wrong that students should be gobbling up single family homes in that neighbourhood, then they help to halt a new build which would have accommodated many of them and probably spared more single family conversions. Seems the problem, to them, is that there is a college nearby.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 04-05-2017

(04-05-2017, 02:32 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: First the residents complain that it's wrong that students should be gobbling up single family homes in that neighbourhood, then they help to halt a new build which would have accommodated many of them and probably spared more single family conversions. Seems the problem, to them, is that there is a college nearby.

And it's been there for 50 years. I really don't know what kind of excuse they can get away with.

(And this is another case of council punting a case to the OMB for political points, following the decision on the Ottawa/Strasburg A&W. Ugh.)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 04-05-2017

Not sure if this is the right thread for Margaret Ave.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7228229-apartments-planned-for-former-breithaupt-mansion-site-in-kitchener

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 04-05-2017

It is not the right thread - 'General Urban Kitchener Updates' would be correct.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 04-05-2017

Thanks Kevin. Can an admin move the link for me plse

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 04-06-2017

Actually, they gave it its own thread. http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=715

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Section ThirtyOne - 04-06-2017

(04-05-2017, 02:32 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: First the residents complain that it's wrong that students should be gobbling up single family homes in that neighbourhood, then they help to halt a new build which would have accommodated many of them and probably spared more single family conversions. Seems the problem, to them, is that there is a college nearby.

I've mentioned this before, but having lived in this neighbourhood in the past... the NIMBYism is off the charts. I have no idea what their end goal in all of this is; the college is not going to pack up and move somewhere else.