Waterloo Region Connected
General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suburbs (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: General Suburban Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=4)

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 10-01-2015

The Heffner car dealership has plans to radically change how they use their space.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/5931803-heffner-dealership-adding-parking-garage

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 10-05-2015

In future, buildings of all sorts (parking, office, commercial, residential) could be designed to allow for slot-in, exchange, expansion of internal spaces in this way. Imagine being able to take a fairly standard condo floorplan, and move yourself from one building to another.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 10-07-2015

An industrial building on Randall Dr has been under demolition the past two weeks, not sure if a project is planned for the site.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - The85 - 10-12-2015

Noticed there is some construction going on in the Laurelwood Plaza (Columbia and Fischer-Hallman) between the TD Bank and Petro Canada. Looks like some grading and servicing for a new pad building. Could this be the possible start of a Tim Hortons? The entire west side of Waterloo doesn't have one, which is strange.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 10-12-2015

(10-12-2015, 08:28 PM)The85 Wrote: Noticed there is some construction going on in the Laurelwood Plaza (Columbia and Fischer-Hallman) between the TD Bank and Petro Canada. Looks like some grading and servicing for a new pad building. Could this be the possible start of a Tim Hortons? The entire west side of Waterloo doesn't have one, which is strange.

No, they are just repaving the parking lot one section at a time. By the way they are redoing the facade for the shops on the west end, and they have taken four months so far, for something that should have been completed in two or three weeks max.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-13-2015

(10-07-2015, 10:25 PM)rangersfan Wrote: An industrial building on Randall Dr has been under demolition the past two weeks, not sure if a project is planned for the site.

Which building is that?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-19-2015

A couple of randoms:

Excavation work now seems to be underway at the site beside the Coptic Church on Ottawa St S. If I recall correctly, the church is adding new facilities.

The low-rise apartment building at Highland and Belmont has been labelled "The Highmont" and is undergoing extensive refurbishment - looks like new kitchens and bathrooms, new windows and doors and new balcony railings.  

Some work is taking place at the building on the "south-east" corner of Belmont and Glasgow.  Seems to be an exterior update.  I think that building sold a few months back but I haven't heard anything about something new moving in.  I still think it would be a nice location for a pub.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 10-28-2015

Does anyone know where I can find up-to-date maps of the cities, including new roads, and plans for subdivisions? For example, near Huron / Fischer Hallman there's a very large new subdivision going on — I believe it's called "Huron South". Where could I find the plans for roads in this area, and others like it (Rosenberg, Doon South, etc)? It's somewhat visible on the region's GIS tool, but only in the property boundary sense; I can see approximate locations of some new roads as defined by property boundaries, but not the names of the roads hem selves, nor all of them in those subdivisions.

I don't know why the information is so difficult to find. For example, I managed to find a "master plan" for the Rosenberg area, but it only includes major roads (and dates back to 2011).

I found this application for new zoning in the area, which shows a snippet of some of the minor roads, but not all of them.

These have to be documented somewhere, but where?

I also often see images from what look like more up-to-date versions of the GIS out there; for example, here's one from the Victoria Commons thread:

[Image: location.png]

Where did this come from?

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-28-2015

That looks like it came from Kitchener's GIS system.

It does have a street layout for Huron South, but no names for the streets yet.

http://maps.kitchener.ca/

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 10-28-2015

Huh. Why does the Region have 2 different GIS systems? Strange.

Either way, thanks!

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Smore - 10-28-2015

(10-28-2015, 06:56 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Huh. Why does the Region have 2 different GIS systems? Strange.

Either way, thanks!

there's more that one GIS tool within the region...but the Region has only one. The City of Kitchener and City of Waterloo also have their own, as does the GRCA which can be helpful for some tasks...

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-28-2015

(10-28-2015, 07:38 PM)Smore Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 06:56 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Huh. Why does the Region have 2 different GIS systems? Strange.

Either way, thanks!

there's more that one GIS tool within the region...but the Region has only one.  The City of Kitchener and City of Waterloo also have their own, as does the GRCA which can be helpful for some tasks...

And I'm sure the provincial and federal governments have their own GIS tools, too.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - nms - 11-02-2015

Different horses for different courses depending on the data that you need and what you want to do with it.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Lens - 11-03-2015

The Waterloo Inn will be closing on Dec 15th. They plan to sell the property to be redeveloped.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 11-03-2015

(11-03-2015, 03:09 PM)Lens Wrote: The Waterloo Inn will be closing on Dec 15th. They plan to sell the property to be redeveloped.

Wow, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I predicted this when the Delta opened. Why would I recommend to any of my guests a hotel isolated by the highway, when there is the Waterloo Hotel, the Delta, and the Crowne-Plaza in Kitchener?