Waterloo Region Connected
The Bow (Arrow phase II) | 15 fl | Completed - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The Bow (Arrow phase II) | 15 fl | Completed (/showthread.php?tid=442)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 11-26-2020

(11-25-2020, 09:20 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I like it ...there you go
To each there own I guess.

Personally, not much to like in this development other than density. It wouldn't be as bad if Auburn was a one off developer, but they continue secured some of the largest sites in uptown and downtown, which have great redevelopment potential. They then use the location to market their units as luxury rentals, but are constructing grey and beige concrete buildings that look like they were completed in the early 00's.  This and the barrel yards give me absolutely no hope for the future of the Schneider's property.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 11-26-2020

(11-26-2020, 11:16 AM)mastermind Wrote: Also the one that has spandrel on the side and bottom panels is probably has a kitchen counter inside.

Or a bathroom.

(11-26-2020, 11:22 AM)westwardloo Wrote: It wouldn't be as bad if Auburn was a one off developer, but they continue secured some of the largest sites in uptown and downtown, which have great redevelopment potential. They then use the location to market their units as luxury rentals, but are constructing grey and beige concrete buildings that look like they were completed in the early 00's.

This one was never going to be heavy on use of glass or metal cladding as they wanted to tie the colour scheme to Arrow Lofts. However, the amount of brick they ended up using was fairly nominal so it's not all that similar in the end.

As for "luxury", it's all in the eye of the beholder, but, architecture aside, I think the Barrel Yards, for example, are much nicer inside than, say, 1 Victoria.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 11-26-2020

(11-26-2020, 02:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As for "luxury", it's all in the eye of the beholder, but, architecture aside, I think the Barrel Yards, for example, are much nicer inside than, say, 1 Victoria.

I think as 1 Victoria is a condo it really depends on upgrades. The base unit finishes in 1 Victoria definitely aren't as nice as Barrel Yards, but if you max out your upgrades it's a totally different situation (though I don't know exactly what was offered at 1 Vic, just going by later Momentum projects). A custom appliance package could also go much higher end than standard Barrel Yards appliances. So I don't think one can really compare a condo as a whole against a rental building.

(11-26-2020, 03:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 02:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As for "luxury", it's all in the eye of the beholder, but, architecture aside, I think the Barrel Yards, for example, are much nicer inside than, say, 1 Victoria.

I think as 1 Victoria is a condo it really depends on upgrades. The base unit finishes in 1 Victoria definitely aren't as nice as Barrel Yards, but if you max out your upgrades it's a totally different situation (though I don't know exactly what was offered at 1 Vic, just going by later Momentum projects). A custom appliance package could also go much higher end than standard Barrel Yards appliances. So I don't think one can really compare a condo as a whole against a rental building.

Actually, even before you get to the units, I'm talking about the common areas. I have never been inside City Centre, but Barrel Yards is certainly much nicer than 1 Victoria as you enter and walk to your unit.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 11-26-2020

(11-26-2020, 02:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 11:22 AM)westwardloo Wrote: It wouldn't be as bad if Auburn was a one off developer, but they continue secured some of the largest sites in uptown and downtown, which have great redevelopment potential. They then use the location to market their units as luxury rentals, but are constructing grey and beige concrete buildings that look like they were completed in the early 00's.

This one was never going to be heavy on use of glass or metal cladding as they wanted to tie the colour scheme to Arrow Lofts. However, the amount of brick they ended up using was fairly nominal so it's not all that similar in the end.

As for "luxury", it's all in the eye of the beholder, but, architecture aside, I think the Barrel Yards, for example, are much nicer inside than, say, 1 Victoria.
The apartments themselves are first rate.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - GarthDanlor - 11-26-2020

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion but I don't mind it either.  When finished it will tie in fairly well with the existing buildings.  Maybe it would have looked better if they raised the brick up another couple of stories?

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 11-26-2020

(11-26-2020, 06:45 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion but I don't mind it either.  When finished it will tie in fairly well with the existing buildings.  Maybe it would have looked better if they raised the brick up another couple of stories?

It will definitely "tie in" with nearby buildings. It looks almost identical to the Drewlo Iron Horse tower (pictured below), and similar enough to the Barra and existing Arrow lofts colours. I think it will look very cheap in comparison to the existing Arrow lofts though. Personally I don't like any of them except the first Arrow lofts.

[Image: ujjNFUO.png]

I think the biggest difference as compared to Iron Horse Tower is with the balconies: inset in Arrow 2 and protruding in IHT. There is also considerably more blank wall in IHT.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 11-27-2020

The IHT trail one is rentals only correct? How nice is it inside and what are rents like?

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 11-27-2020

(11-27-2020, 09:05 AM)Momo26 Wrote: The IHT trail one is rentals only correct? How nice is it inside and what are rents like?

Photos, floorplans and prices here:
https://www.drewloholdings.com/apartments-for-rent/iron-horse-towers/kitchener

2BR units start at around $1700-1800.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 11-27-2020

(11-26-2020, 08:04 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 06:45 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote: Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion but I don't mind it either.  When finished it will tie in fairly well with the existing buildings.  Maybe it would have looked better if they raised the brick up another couple of stories?

It will definitely "tie in" with nearby buildings. It looks almost identical to the Drewlo Iron Horse tower (pictured below), and similar enough to the Barra and existing Arrow lofts colours. I think it will look very cheap in comparison to the existing Arrow lofts though. Personally I don't like any of them except the first Arrow lofts.

[Image: ujjNFUO.png]
So they are building a Luxury rentals that look exactly like a market rental apartment built in 2009 probably designed in early 00's. I am not sure why a new building has to tie-in to any of the other buildings around it? They did an awful job blending it in with the arrow lofts. Its like they thought about it, then decided, na lets just build it as cheep as possible with small nods to the arrow lofts. Which is worse in my opinion, they should have just gone with something completely different. 

I understand that most people could care less what the exterior of the building looks like, as long as the interior finishes are nice and that is a valid point. I just think they could have done a lot better with the design. It could not be more bland if it tried.   

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - Spokes - 11-27-2020

The biggest (and only?) positive here is the number of new residents it will bring to DTK

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - westwardloo - 11-27-2020

(11-27-2020, 03:13 PM)Spokes Wrote: The biggest (and only?) positive here is the number of new residents it will bring to DTK
Agreed, I am happy that more people will be living DTK.

RE: Arrow Lofts phase II | 15 fl | U/C - Pilsner - 11-27-2020