Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Memph - 07-10-2016

(07-10-2016, 06:50 AM)jamincan Wrote: I lived one block from there until recently.

Remember when some guys built a giant snow couch in front of one of the homes? Anyways, I think most of the houses on the north side of Erb between Roslin and Dunbar were owned by Domus, if not all.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tvot - 07-10-2016

(07-10-2016, 08:00 PM)Memph Wrote: Remember when some guys built a giant snow couch in front of one of the homes? Anyways, I think most of the houses on the north side of Erb between Roslin and Dunbar were owned by Domus, if not all.

That snow couch with the red plastic cups was great. Looked perfect for keeping your beer cold.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - schooner77 - 08-10-2016

I posted earlier, on the Brick Site thread, with regards to soil testing at the Erb and Good parking lot for the last few days. I was chatting with someone yesterday, and was told that the funeral home property had been sold for quite a sum and that there was a planned condo development on the horizon. I'm guessing this will be an interesting process with the house part of the building being designated a heritage site. Has anyone else heard any news on this site?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-10-2016

Very interesting news

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-18-2016

Waterloo’s historic Lion Brewery getting a new look
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6815843-waterloo-s-historic-lion-brewery-getting-a-new-look/

"When construction is finished on the addition, the building that currently houses the beer-making operation at King Street North and Bridgeport Road West will be demolished and replaced with a parking lot."

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-18-2016

Sounds like some pretty major changes underway.

Has anyone seen the addition under construction or is it part of the Princess Condos?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 08-19-2016

The last few weeks, brush and trees have been cleared from a lot adjacent to the Spur Line Trail between Roger and Union. It looks like it's 153 Union.

The rumour is that the plan is a medical building. 153 Union is indeed medical offices, and this lot has been heavily treed for a long time, so presumably something is planned with the clearing. But I'm skeptical since it's behind the main building so far back from Union (conceivably access could be from Roger, which I think is possible).

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - urbd - 08-19-2016

(08-18-2016, 09:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Waterloo’s historic Lion Brewery getting a new look
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6815843-waterloo-s-historic-lion-brewery-getting-a-new-look/

"When construction is finished on the addition, the building that currently houses the beer-making operation at King Street North and Bridgeport Road West will be demolished and replaced with a parking lot."

I was really excited about the new brewery addition until I read that the existing, historic (not designated) brewery will be demolished for a new surface parking lot right at the corner of King and Bridgeport... this is incredibly sad. Another surface parking in the middle of Uptown.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-19-2016

(08-19-2016, 09:08 AM)urbd Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 09:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Waterloo’s historic Lion Brewery getting a new look

I was really excited about the new brewery addition until I read that the existing, historic (not designated) brewery will be demolished for a new surface parking lot right at the corner of King and Bridgeport... this is incredibly sad. Another surface parking in the middle of Uptown.

Are you telling me the entire "Gold Crown Brewery" building is being demolished:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4674545,-80.5230053,3a,75y,230.25h,82.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ0iZLH5yySEP96gLHxZ4DA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That will be a huge parking lot.  Really not a positive development in my opinion.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - myfaceisonfire - 08-19-2016

Yeah, pretty embarrassing TBH.  I'm guessing it's because the new brewery location is going to be replacing the huether's old hidden parking lot so they're replacing it with an extremely visible one that is 5 times bigger.   Regina/Bridgeport - huge parking lot.  King/Bridgeport - huge parking lot.    Lovely.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-19-2016

Surely someone must want "brick and beam" office space at that location more than a parking lot.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Section ThirtyOne - 08-19-2016

Did anyone else notice that the new Lion Brewery sign is almost 8,000 kilograms (~17,000 pounds)?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-19-2016

This is what you get in UpTown, where being able to see a building taller than 3-4 storeys from the sidewalk would be horrific (Princess Condos will likely now fit this bill), but parking lots on the main drag, no problem.

If, as a business, you can't draw people to eat with you from the parking lots at Bridgeport and Regina, I don't think making an ugly streetscape is going to help. The patio sure will be fun, looking out over cars and exhaust fumes.

I wonder how much of this is panic over ION construction related changes to business numbers. King Street used to be four lanes from Victoria all the way up to the end of Waterloo. Now, you won't find four lanes between Ottawa in Kitchener and Erb in Waterloo, with streetscape plans extending that shortly all the way up to University. The commuting patterns will shift to Weber, and you won't see as many people just looking for the parking lot bite to eat, it'll be a different kind of person who drives down this way.

What a way to undo some of the smartest thinking in UpTown that got us to remove the King-side Waterloo Town Shops parking lot.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Watdot - 08-19-2016

Agree that a surface parking lot will be gross at the corner of King and Bridgeport, but me thinks that within 10 years there will be a large multi-use building there with hopefully some underground parking. That sliver of land they bought from the City and their existing brewery will be a significant parcel of land that will be super enticing to developers if all cleared. Use it as parking now for customers and let the land appreciate exponentially in the coming years. To me what will be interesting will be what comes first, the owners selling the lot or charging their customers for parking.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-19-2016

(08-19-2016, 10:39 AM)Watdot Wrote: Agree that a surface parking lot will be gross at the corner of King and Bridgeport, but me thinks that within 10 years there will be a large multi-use building there with hopefully some underground parking.  That sliver of land they bought from the City and their existing brewery will be a significant parcel of land that will be super enticing to developers if all cleared.  Use it as parking now for customers and let the land appreciate exponentially in the coming years.  To me what will be interesting will be what comes first, the owners selling the lot or charging their customers for parking.

If zoning permits it...