Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=7)

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 04:30 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 03:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This seems an odd discussion given the fact, it seems, that the purchaser plans to retain and re-use the building.  Apart from any heritage value the building might or might not have, I would think that the opportunity to preserve and re-purpose a century old industrial building into the sort of high tech office space that is all the rage would be very attractive to Waterloo.

The comments are because of:

Quote:It also requires the developer to submit a heritage impact assessment as part of their redevelopment plan, said the city’s heritage planner Michelle Lee.

“It’s certainly worthy of (heritage) consideration,” said Lee. “There are very few old commercial or manufacturing buildings left in the downtown core.

It is perfectly possible to support the reuse plans by the owner/developer while opposing heritage designation.

True.  On the other hand, depending what the developer has in mind, a heritage designation could be a feather in the cap of a prestige project.  Frankly, that seems a stretch to me in this case, however, as the original façade of the factory seems to have been completely rebuilt. 

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-29-2015

(05-28-2015, 04:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: True.  On the other hand, depending what the developer has in mind, a heritage designation could be a feather in the cap of a prestige project. 

I'm not sure how desirable that would be as it would potentially limit any future redevelopment of the building, thus impacting the property value.

Not to mention that this building really doesn't seem like a "prestige project."

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 05-29-2015

Sample drilling in the old post office lot/property at King/Bridgeport/Regina today.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-30-2015

(05-29-2015, 04:33 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Sample drilling in the old post office lot/property at King/Bridgeport/Regina today.

I hope they preserve this prime example of a 1960s heritage building!  Wink

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 05-31-2015

(05-27-2015, 10:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 09:44 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I said it before: this is preserving mediocrity, not heritage.

But by that standard, my old hockey socks should be in a museum, too.  Smile

Before the Waterloo Region Museum makes a claim they want to know if your socks have been washed or in as is condition? 

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - schooner77 - 06-22-2015

Open Streets seemed a little disappointing this year. They didn't close off King, instead using Willis Way and the Square. By the time we arrived, it was pretty sparsely populated and no food trucks. The night before, the Solstice Sampling was rocking and well attended, perhaps too much for one weekend. I also suspect that the Multi-Cultural Festival in Victoria Park was a big draw.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 08:00 AM)schooner77 Wrote: Open Streets seemed a little disappointing this year.  They didn't close off King, instead using Willis Way and the Square. By the time we arrived, it was pretty sparsely populated and no food trucks.  The night before, the Solstice Sampling was rocking and well attended, perhaps too much for one weekend. I also suspect that the Multi-Cultural Festival in Victoria Park was a big draw.

The first event is always the least attended. The layout was very different because they had to plan for a setup which could contend with ION construction on King. Now that it's been decided that King in UpTown won't see any work this year, they're planning to shift the remaining three events back to the old form.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 06-22-2015

Events are not well publicized. I walk often past Uptown and never now what is the next thing coming up. I missed the Summer solstice with restaurant sampling as well as Open Streets this year simply because I never heard of them.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - nms - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 10:06 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Events are not well publicized. I walk often past Uptown and never now what is the next thing coming up. I missed the Summer solstice with restaurant sampling as well as Open Streets this year simply because I never heard of them.

What's everybody's favourite way of finding out what's going on around town? Twenty years ago, the go-to calendars would have been in the Record or the Chronicle for Waterloo events.  There are more than a dozen 'local events calendars', but I'm not sure that every event necessarily is featured in each one.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - numberguy - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 02:01 PM)nms Wrote: What's everybody's favourite way of finding out what's going on around town? Twenty years ago, the go-to calendars would have been in the Record or the Chronicle for Waterloo events.  There are more than a dozen 'local events calendars', but I'm not sure that every event necessarily is featured in each one.

Reddit, Twitter, various blogs (CBC KW 5 fun things to do on the weekend), buddies, Eventbrite

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 02:01 PM)nms Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 10:06 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: Events are not well publicized. I walk often past Uptown and never now what is the next thing coming up. I missed the Summer solstice with restaurant sampling as well as Open Streets this year simply because I never heard of them.

What's everybody's favourite way of finding out what's going on around town? Twenty years ago, the go-to calendars would have been in the Record or the Chronicle for Waterloo events.  There are more than a dozen 'local events calendars', but I'm not sure that every event necessarily is featured in each one.

I think that's a big issue in Waterloo Region as a whole.  I think we do a good job of talking about events here, but there are only so many of us.

What's the solution?

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 10:10 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 02:01 PM)nms Wrote: What's everybody's favourite way of finding out what's going on around town? Twenty years ago, the go-to calendars would have been in the Record or the Chronicle for Waterloo events.  There are more than a dozen 'local events calendars', but I'm not sure that every event necessarily is featured in each one.

I think that's a big issue in Waterloo Region as a whole.  I think we do a good job of talking about events here, but there are only so many of us.

What's the solution?

How about a "master calendar" on waterlooregionnected.com?  Big Grin   If we can have a single "go-to" calendar (instead of the half a dozen places to check, suggested by numberguy), we can then work together to promote it.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - samnabi - 06-23-2015

Grand Social (http://grandsocial.ca/) is trying to do this. I'd suggest integrating their calendar into WRC. Instead of starting yet another event listing, let's signal boost and add to what's already there.

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - Markster - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 02:01 PM)nms Wrote: What's everybody's favourite way of finding out what's going on around town? Twenty years ago, the go-to calendars would have been in the Record or the Chronicle for Waterloo events. There are more than a dozen 'local events calendars', but I'm not sure that every event necessarily is featured in each one.
(06-23-2015, 10:27 AM)tomh009 Wrote: How about a "master calendar" on waterlooregionnected.com?  Big Grin   If we can have a single "go-to" calendar (instead of the half a dozen places to check, suggested by numberguy), we can then work together to promote it.

[Image: standards.png]

RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - kwliving - 06-23-2015

I have had a lot of dealings with sidewalk policy. The City of Kitchener has 5 policies stating sidewalks should be placed on both sides of the street during all road reconstruction yet councilors still vote on this type of thing. It is no end of frustrating trying to get people to understand and officials to follow policy.