Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - robdrimmie - 12-13-2018

There's posts in the Duke thread that suggest it's recently been bumped to 39.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 12-13-2018

Just saw that. Wow, crazy

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 12-13-2018

(12-13-2018, 10:03 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Parts of the crane are arriving already, as of around 8:40 this morning.

Arriving ? If I see correctly the first portion of the tower is standing up peering out of that massive hole ...

(12-13-2018, 11:05 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Arriving ? If I see correctly the first portion of the tower is standing up peering out of that massive hole ...

Yeah, I equivocated. The mobile-crane with the white piece of installable-crane dangling from it moved the piece from above the flatbed to the side where other pieces are lying on the ground, so the only thing I can assert with confidence is that pieces of the crane are being taken from the delivery vehicles and positioned on site. From the street level I can't see well enough to know if the blue piece peering up is installed or if it's only staged somewhere in the hole for eventual installation. I think you're likely correct though.

(12-13-2018, 11:22 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 11:05 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Arriving ? If I see correctly the first portion of the tower is standing up peering out of that massive hole ...

Yeah, I equivocated. The mobile-crane with the white piece of installable-crane dangling from it moved the piece from above the flatbed to the side where other pieces are lying on the ground, so the only thing I can assert with confidence is that pieces of the crane are being taken from the delivery vehicles and positioned on site. From the street level I can't see well enough to know if the blue piece peering up is installed or if it's only staged somewhere in the hole for eventual installation. I think you're likely correct though.

The smaller crane is for unloading and staging parts from the trucks.  The massive crane in the background will be erecting everything.   

I am not in town, I hope someone can grab a couple of pics throughout the day please.....

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - GtwoK - 12-13-2018

From last night

[Image: wLSgDVy.jpg]

As cool is this is,  I miss Kava Beans...

Sorry, I'm sure it's already discussed somewhere, will there be space for sidewalk retail/restos/cafes below this condo? You might find yourself a new Kava of sorts Rainrider22 haha.

There will be retail space, and I'm under the impression Kava Beans owners have a first refusal type agreement in place, but I'm not sure how accurate any of that is.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - JJTL - 12-13-2018

Just drove by coming from Victoria Street, could see the crane extended above the Manulife building now.

Yep. Almost as high as City Hall now.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - kitborn - 12-13-2018

The assembly of the crane.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Spokes - 12-13-2018

(12-13-2018, 12:56 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There will be retail space, and I'm under the impression Kava Beans owners have a first refusal type agreement in place, but I'm not sure how accurate any of that is.

That sounds familiar, but I thought they passed?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jeffster - 12-13-2018

(12-13-2018, 01:45 PM)kitborn Wrote: The assembly of the crane.

Gotta feel for that poor soul that needs to climb that all those flights every day. And damned you are if you had a burrito the other night. Though I do guess they have something to piss in, but I don't know.

One thing for sure, you'd be fit. Good pay I'd imagine too.

(12-13-2018, 03:15 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 12:56 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There will be retail space, and I'm under the impression Kava Beans owners have a first refusal type agreement in place, but I'm not sure how accurate any of that is.

That sounds familiar, but I thought they passed?

All I can find is a CBC article[1] featuring the original announcement which includes a line that Kava Beans gets first dibs (the way it is presented feels casual not contractual) but nothing for a few years now. A Record article[2] from the same day has a nearly identical picture but nothing about the plans for Kava. Whether or not they passed seems like the sort of thing that ends up in forums and such and not in papers. It's a long time to go without an active business, though a coffee shop on the ground floor of a 33-storey building seems likely to do good business even if it were mediocre (which Kava definitely wasn't).

[1] https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/kitchener-downtown-lrt-sold-developer-1.4045967
[2] https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7215921-developers-announce-new-condominium-overlooking-victoria-park-in-kitchener/