Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - KevinL - 03-25-2020

The one lacking area is sanitation - generally they use a port-a-potty and don't have reliable handwashing apparatus.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - clasher - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 03:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 03:49 PM)jeffster Wrote: I don't think that that is the reason. People still need a place to live, government buildings still need competition, roads still need repair. And their environment, while in general is very dangerous, is not kind to the virus itself. In other words, the virus threat is less than the general threat.

And construction work mostly has substantial social distancing already.

I've worked a bunch of construction jobs, from new construction to industrial maintenance. There's likely little chance of running water at most new construction for hand washing and the shitters are usually more disgusting than what one would find at the end of a music festival. Sick pay is non-existent in the building trades so workers have a lot of incentive to come to work sick too. The only time I could really be doing physical distancing at work is when I'm welding something alone or doing connecting on the structural steel, but we still all eat together in a small trailer, or if you're lucky a half-finished room on the floors below. On a tall building too everyone packs into the lifts at the start of the shift so there's really no way to avoid being in close contact with other workers.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 06:08 PM)clasher Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 03:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And construction work mostly has substantial social distancing already.

I've worked a bunch of construction jobs, from new construction to industrial maintenance. There's likely little chance of running water at most new construction for hand washing and the shitters are usually more disgusting than what one would find at the end of a music festival. Sick pay is non-existent in the building trades so workers have a lot of incentive to come to work sick too. The only time I could really be doing physical distancing at work is when I'm welding something alone or doing connecting on the structural steel, but we still all eat together in a small trailer, or if you're lucky a half-finished room on the floors below. On a tall building too everyone packs into the lifts at the start of the shift so there's really no way to avoid being in close contact with other workers.

Most of that seems pretty easily remedied by improvements in facilities and changes in habits.  The lack of sick pay is a surprise to me (I assume this would be for non-union labour?).  If the developers want to keep the government from shutting them down, they'd best get to it ....

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - clasher - 03-25-2020

Nobody wants to pay for that and changing the procedures would slow down the work, like maintaining social distancing for picking up heavy objects... dunno how two people are supposed to pick something up together and stay 2m apart. The shutdowns at the bigger plants are going on right now, I passed on going to the Bowmanville cement plant shutter that is supposed to going on this week and for the next two... few hundred tradespeople sharing 12 portable toilets, they usually run out of water on the first day and are overflowing with mud and garbage. I imagine they'd be cleaning them more this year than they do normally. I think it'll spread like wildfire at most jobsites.

There's apparently 3 positives from an crosstown LRT site in Toronto... big surprise there.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 03-25-2020

Well, I thought Ford was pretty clear about it yesterday - the industry either cleans up its act, or he'll shut them down. Or the workers will simply walk off the job and collect their emergency relief cash.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - kitborn - 03-31-2020

Crane extentions arrived this am.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 03-31-2020

(03-31-2020, 01:22 PM)kitborn Wrote: Crane extentions arrived this am.
First time seeing it, but thus far I quite like that glazing.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jordan2423 - 03-31-2020

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 04-03-2020

A view of progress from a higher angle.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 04-20-2020

According to the Momentum Instagram the crane was raised today, now 25 storeys. https://www.instagram.com/p/B_NgjuTg9tL/?igshid=dy7hlspv4aha

There will be one more to get to full height.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 04-21-2020

Not yet. I was by yesterday and it was still at the same level..

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ac3r - 04-21-2020

The Instagram posts does say "getting ready", so I suspect they'll start to raise it soon. I drove by on the weekend and it's amazing how big thing thing already looks and will end up being.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Square - 04-27-2020

Still have not raised the crane yet, 3 pieces still located on Hall's Lane, the hydraulic piece is on the crane.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jgsz - 04-28-2020

(04-27-2020, 08:45 PM)Square Wrote: Still have not raised the crane yet, 3 pieces still located on Hall's Lane, the hydraulic piece is on the crane.

No floors have been added for about three weeks.  Workers are on site doing other things.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Square - 04-28-2020

(04-28-2020, 06:29 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 08:45 PM)Square Wrote: Still have not raised the crane yet, 3 pieces still located on Hall's Lane, the hydraulic piece is on the crane.

No floors have been added for about three weeks.  Workers are on site doing other things.
Yes, thank you.  I always thought this site would be done before Duke Tower, now I'm not so sure, lol