Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-14-2020

Some shots of the cladding:

And a bonus view from King St:

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 05-14-2020

Am I wrong to think that that cladding no longer shows the DTK sreetmap as originally proposed?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Momo26 - 05-14-2020

I thought it was supposed to be some message in code. 1 and 0s type of 'nod to tech hub'.

I don't know What I'm looking at in that pic. It looks like a bunch of concrete with small holes in it. Someone suggested at night the parking lot lights will illuminate the holes? So I guess in the daytime is the great wall of Charlie?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-14-2020

Somebody needs to figure out what the image on the cladding is. It might actually be buildings as seen in an aerial/satellite photo.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 05-14-2020

(05-14-2020, 09:35 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I thought it was supposed to be some message in code. 1 and 0s type of 'nod to tech hub'.

I don't know What I'm looking at in that pic. It looks like a bunch of concrete with small holes in it. Someone suggested at night the parking lot lights will illuminate the holes? So I guess in the daytime is the great wall of Charlie?

That was my suggestion. Unfortunately the holes are a little too large to have the effect I was hoping for. They're big enough that the garage behind them is pretty visible. I took this photo last night while walking past:

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 05-14-2020

Definitely a deviation from the render. Though I dont think its terrible, I'll reserve my judgment for when its complete

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - KevinL - 05-14-2020

I think it's still a map of downtown, just a bit more subtle of one...

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - DK519 - 05-15-2020

(05-14-2020, 10:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I think it's still a map of downtown, just a bit more subtle of one...
I agree.

If I use my imagination I can make out the lake in Vic Park (blue) and the field by the clocktower (red).

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ijmorlan - 05-15-2020

(05-14-2020, 10:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I think it's still a map of downtown, just a bit more subtle of one...

Might it be a rendering of an aerial photo, rather than a map as such?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-15-2020

(05-15-2020, 09:07 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Might it be a rendering of an aerial photo, rather than a map as such?

Exactly!

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - white_brian - 05-15-2020

You can faintly make out the image in the second daytime photo

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 05-15-2020

(05-15-2020, 05:13 PM)white_brian Wrote: You can faintly make out the image in the second daytime photo
Had the slabs been darker as they appeared in the renderings I think it would be more pronounced. 

I suppose they could be painted at some point though. 

Does anyone who's been by know if these slabs have a finish on them or do they just appear to be concrete with holes in them?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 05-15-2020

(05-15-2020, 07:52 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 05:13 PM)white_brian Wrote: You can faintly make out the image in the second daytime photo
Had the slabs been darker as they appeared in the renderings I think it would be more pronounced. 

I suppose they could be painted at some point though. 

Does anyone who's been by know if these slabs have a finish on them or do they just appear to be concrete with holes in them?

Aluminium, surely?

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 05-15-2020

Didn't get close enough to see the material but I assumed some metal as well. I took a look today during daylight and it really looked terrible. I hope they are doing something more to it yet.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 05-15-2020

(05-15-2020, 09:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Aluminium, surely?
I mean I assumed that too, but I thought I saw someone mention it being concrete earlier in the thread. 

Then again I think being stuck at home is getting to my head so I wouldn't be surprised if i was imagining things at this point.

Edit: So I went back and looked and someone already even said they thought it looked like metal, so clearly I'm just starting to go insane.

I do hope it can be painted darker, though I am doubtful.