Waterloo Region Connected
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=710)

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - clasher - 05-16-2020

I can't imagine it would be anything but aluminum, or perhaps thinner stainless but that is hard to drill (I imagine these were water/laser cut) holes into and probably more expensive than aluminum.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-16-2020

(05-15-2020, 11:29 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Didn't get close enough to see the material but I assumed some metal as well. I took a look today during daylight and it really looked terrible. I hope they are doing something more to it yet.

It's terrible, really?

I can see people liking the pattern or not, but whether you like the pattern or not, I see it as a nice variation from the standard concrete podium.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 09:30 AM)clasher Wrote: I can't imagine it would be anything but aluminum, or perhaps thinner stainless but that is hard to drill (I imagine these were water/laser cut) holes into and probably more expensive than aluminum.

It also doesn't look like stainless steel. I agree that aluminium is the likely material.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 03:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 11:29 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Didn't get close enough to see the material but I assumed some metal as well. I took a look today during daylight and it really looked terrible. I hope they are doing something more to it yet.

It's terrible, really?

I can see people liking the pattern or not, but whether you like the pattern or not, I see it as a nice variation from the standard concrete podium.
I can't say for sure until it, and the rest of the building, is finished. But during daylight the pattern didn't really seem visible unless you are on the street next to it, so from the distance it just looked like a giant grey aluminum wall.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - taylortbb - 05-16-2020

Crane is currently being raised. They're at least a couple segments in, with a few more staged.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jgsz - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 06:20 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Crane is currently being raised. They're at least a couple segments in, with a few more staged.

Yes and it's interesting to watch.  The crane pulls in sections that somehow get attached to the main crane and up it goes up.

You can tell the horizon is different on the photos.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Square - 05-16-2020

Thank you for the updates! This youtube clip shows how the crane rises, just like this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4JyPIPWy0

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jgsz - 05-17-2020

(05-16-2020, 10:37 PM)Square Wrote: Thank you for the updates!  This youtube clip shows how the crane rises, just like this site.

Thanks for the video.  I have never seen anything like it.  What propels the crane upwards?  It seems to go up very smoothly.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - KevinL - 05-17-2020

Very cool! Wish I could see it in action, but that would not count as a 'necessary' trip.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ZEBuilder - 05-17-2020

(05-17-2020, 06:50 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 10:37 PM)Square Wrote: Thank you for the updates!  This youtube clip shows how the crane rises, just like this site.

Thanks for the video.  I have never seen anything like it.  What propels the crane upwards?  It seems to go up very smoothly.
A hydraulic jack propels the crane upwards, you can see it in the photos you posted. It basically extends up as far as it can go then they lock the climbing frame in that position and then move the jack up and extended it again until the height needed for the new crane segment is reached.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - dtkvictim - 05-19-2020

[Image: uKgWmrL.jpg]Photo of the cladding from a distance. I believe complete now, since the original render shows glass over the stairwell. I still remain unimpressed with it at this point.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - Bjays93 - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 09:02 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: [Image: uKgWmrL.jpg]Photo of the cladding from a distance. I believe complete now, since the original render shows glass over the stairwell. I still remain unimpressed with it at this point.
That's brutal tbh. Took me a while to figure out what I was looking at. Thought there was something under construction blocking out the podium in the photo, not realizing that was the cladding, which says a lot.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 05-19-2020

Any chance that they plan to paint it? The idea is interesting, but if it’s not visible during the day ...

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - ZEBuilder - 05-19-2020

(05-19-2020, 09:02 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: [Image: uKgWmrL.jpg]Photo of the cladding from a distance. I believe complete now, since the original render shows glass over the stairwell. I still remain unimpressed with it at this point.
I was slightly optimistic about the cladding when it was first being installed but know that it's on I hope it gets painted or something's done to it because that looks brutal, I'm still hoping that something like the original render is added onto of this.

RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - jamincan - 05-20-2020

I wonder if the pointillist map effect would have been more successful if there was some sort of matte semi-opaque sheeting behind the panels so that the backlighting is more even.