Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - The85 - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:48 PM)Markster Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 10:29 AM)Spokes Wrote: No loss there to be honest.  Something else will open, or even better, it will get developed.
There is most definitely a loss there.  The Bargain Shop, while it might be down-market, is still downtown's only thing resembling a department store. Without at replacement in the pipeline, it is a loss.

What about Budds? I know they don't have basic non-perishable groceries, but it's still a department store.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-24-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:57 PM)The85 Wrote: What about Budds? I know they don't have basic non-perishable groceries, but it's still a department store.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in Budd's? I haven't been in for a couple of years, but as I recall it was more-or-less strictly clothing and more-or-less focused on a certain demographic (or at least, not any young demographics).

I wouldn't have characterized TBS as a department store myself, but it is a useful place from time-to-time for canned goods and other foodstuffs, dish soap, that kind of stuff. Its departure means some things it offered will be absent from downtown now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 11-24-2014

(11-24-2014, 09:33 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 11:57 PM)The85 Wrote: What about Budds? I know they don't have basic non-perishable groceries, but it's still a department store.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in Budd's? I haven't been in for a couple of years, but as I recall it was more-or-less strictly clothing and more-or-less focused on a certain demographic (or at least, not any young demographics).

I wouldn't have characterized TBS as a department store myself, but it is a useful place from time-to-time for canned goods and other foodstuffs, dish soap, that kind of stuff. Its departure means some things it offered will be absent from downtown now.

I've been to Budd's maybe 2 years ago. It had some housewares. Department stores are mostly clothing & housewares. In terms of demographic, I didn't really feel like it was targetted exclusively to older people.

General store type items are available at Shoppers' Drug Mart.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-24-2014

I have gone into Budd's fairly frequently over the last couple of years. Handy place to pick up things like towels, pillows, etc. I went in once to look for an umbrella and came out with some slippers! One of the Budd brothers also sold me the best wallet I have ever had (tons of places for plastic cards). I don't think I've ever bought any clothing there, however.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - REnerd - 11-24-2014

Yep, go to Budds and look upstairs.  You will be surprised.

Its a great place to get a floor mat for that winter weather, amongst other things.  Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 11-25-2014

The Bargain Shop might become a Dollarama, Dollarama is buying alot of the leases that the Bargain shop couldn't afford anymore, thats what happened to the Highland RD.location.
I know there is a location down the street at Frederick Mall but I don't think it would matter since the Highland and Westmount location is down the street from the Westmount and Ottawa location.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-25-2014

I really hope not.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-25-2014

That would be an awfully big Dollarama. The place would be perfect for Giant Tiger, imho.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 11-25-2014

I hope not either. IMO a Dollarama should open in Downtown but not there, I think Market square or The Eaton lofts building would be better locations. I really like Panamaniac's idea for a Giant tiger to open but somehow I doubt they will.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-28-2014

I can't remember which thread it was, but someone asked a couple of weeks ago when the old Beer Store on the site of the Intermodal Transit Hub was coming down. The answer would be - today!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 11-28-2014

I saw a machine on site yesterday, so I figured it was any moment now!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 11-29-2014

Good memory Panamaniac Smile that was me and I asked on page 8, I noticed the rubble tonight, did anyone take pictures of the demo?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 11-29-2014

(11-29-2014, 04:29 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Good memory Panamaniac Smile that was me and I asked on page 8, I noticed the rubble tonight, did anyone take pictures of the demo?

I posted a couple of pictures of what is left in the intermodal station forum.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 11-29-2014

Oh there's one restaurant that's open for dinner on the duke food block now, Spice Tree seems to be open until 9 or so, but they aren't licensed so no beer or anything but it's nice to have a good Indian restaurant downtown finally.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-29-2014

Are they good?  I've been wanting to try it, but was waiting to hear from others - I love Indian food, but bad Indian is the pits.