Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 10-22-2016

Some sort of major work going on in the basement of Smile Tiger. Well, the basement of the building at least, I don't think it belongs to Smile Tiger. I didn't even know there was a basement!

They've been sledgehammering and drilling and slamming things for hours now. It's visibly driving the patrons and baristas insane. Not a very pleasant atmosphere in a coffee shop.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 10-22-2016

Very interested to hear that fencing is up around the former St. Clair appliances building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 10-23-2016

Yep, this is a good sign. I'll keep an eye on it over the coming weeks, I work downtown....

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 10-25-2016

(10-22-2016, 11:14 AM)Lens Wrote: Kieswtter demolition has fencing up around the St. Clair appliances building.

Yes indeed.

[Image: OlZaj49.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 11-02-2016

An interesting post from the KW Bookstore's Facebook page:

"Frustrated and furious! Just signed a petition from our landlords who told us that the city is planning on selling off the parking lot that is kitty corner to the store. You know, because there are so many parking options down this way. Oh, wait, there are businesses still alive down here?! I'm still investigating for further information and will keep you posted. Once again, Ktown, thanks for the kick in the ass. We appreciate how supportive you are to downtown business."

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - notmyfriends - 11-02-2016

The lot beside the TD building I assume?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 11-02-2016

I will state again, I have never once had any difficulty parking downtown. I've never even had to pay.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 11-02-2016

Downtown certainly has an overabundance of parking in the Water-Francis-Joseph-King area. Those in the neighbourhood should definitely brace for redevelopment of those lots.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-02-2016

Isn't the lot in question the one that was notionally being held by the City for a possible supermarket?

Like danbrotherston, I've never had any problem parking Downtown.  Usually in one of the bays on King St, and never more than a block off King.  I think I've paid to park maybe twice in the past four years.

Edit:  Sorry, tell a lie - I often pay to park at the KPL.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-02-2016

(11-02-2016, 07:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I will state again, I have never once had any difficulty parking downtown.  I've never even had to pay.

This.

Sometimes I have to walk a half of a block, sometimes a full one or two.  Big deal.

This was always the plan with this lot and others.  They shouldn't be surprised.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-03-2016

I don't drive downtown very often because I live relatively close; when I have driven, I don't pay for parking. I guess I don't go during weekdays very often.

It's sad for me to read that message from KW Bookstore because I patron that store semi-regularly. I've even had them order in material for me before. I feel pretty confident in saying I spend more on books (and especially used ones) than the average person out there. And, when I go to browse there or at other book stores downtown, it's often when I'm on my way home from a Saturday morning going to the market, or when I've met someone downtown for lunch. I'm on foot on those occasions.

You'd think a bookstore downtown would be supportive of new development, and new types of people coming to live downtown. I guess they think, with abundant parking, suburbanites are going to drive down to them instead of Chapters or Amazon.

Anyway, great news if there's movement on the sale of that lot. It would be great to see that redeveloped.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Section ThirtyOne - 11-03-2016

(11-02-2016, 08:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Downtown certainly has an overabundance of parking in the Water-Francis-Joseph-King area. Those in the neighbourhood should definitely brace for redevelopment of those lots.

Most of those lots are owned by Manulife for employee parking; I can't think they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 11-03-2016

Marina's Bar, across from the Kitchener Market on King, was destroyed in an early-morning fire.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Elmira Guy - 11-03-2016

/\ Whoa!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 11-03-2016

(11-03-2016, 08:32 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(11-02-2016, 08:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Downtown certainly has an overabundance of parking in the Water-Francis-Joseph-King area. Those in the neighbourhood should definitely brace for redevelopment of those lots.

Most of those lots are owned by Manulife for employee parking; I can't think they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

"Most"?  I thought they only owned the parking garage and the lot between Joseph, Charles, Water, and Francis.  I don't think they own any of the others along Charles and King.  There is a lot of surface parking in the area, although not all of the rest are owned by the city either.