Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-03-2017

Strangest reuse of a place of worship I've seen (and enjoyed):

Vertical Reality
Altitude

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-03-2017

(01-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Strangest reuse of a place of worship I've seen (and enjoyed):

Vertical Reality

Surely a former industrial building, no?  Victoria Island would have been a strange place to build a church.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-03-2017

(01-03-2017, 01:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Strangest reuse of a place of worship I've seen (and enjoyed):

Vertical Reality

Surely a former industrial building, no?  Victoria Island would have been a strange place to build a church.

And now I'm embarassed for mixing things up...

I meant Altitude

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 01-03-2017

(01-03-2017, 01:50 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: And now I'm embarassed for mixing things up...

I meant Altitude

Well, when you've got those high ceilings...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 01-04-2017

Industrial space is usually more common as climbing gyms. There is also another converted church to climbing gym in Sherbrooke: http://www.vertige-escalade.com/. The grades there are annoyingly stiff.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 01-04-2017

The derelict building on the corner of Queen & Joseph is being sold as a parcel for development.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-05-2017

That site is prime for redevelopment, but desperately needs to be consolidated with the two neighbouring properties to the "south", imo. Given the condition of the buildings, I thought they might already have the same owner, but I guess not.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 01-05-2017

Great opportunity, but I agree, needs more. Ideally along Queen. Even more ideally along queen and joseph.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 01-05-2017

I really want to see retail units on that corner.

(01-05-2017, 10:59 AM)Markster Wrote: I really want to see retail units on that corner.

I would see services (hair salon, dentist, etc) as more realistic than retail, at least for the foreseeable future.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 01-05-2017

Where "retail" was meant to include "personal services"
Commercial units.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - UrbanCanoe - 01-05-2017

Just noticed three more properties for sale touting proximity to Ion as primary reasons for redevelopment.

709-711 King Street East  (on King, near Stirling)

1001-1007 King Street East  (on King and Charles, between Borden and Ottawa)

1015-1051 King Street East (on King and Charles, near Ottawa).

Will be exciting to see redevelopment along this corridor over the next few years!

(01-05-2017, 11:45 AM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: Just noticed three more properties for sale touting proximity to Ion as primary reasons for redevelopment.

709-711 King Street East  (on King, near Stirling)

1001-1007 King Street East  (on King and Charles, between Borden and Ottawa)

1015-1051 King Street East  (on King and Charles, near Ottawa).

Will be exciting to see redevelopment along this corridor over the next few years!

Good to see in the part of K-W most needing redevelopment (imo).  I wonder if the building I bolded will give rise to any heritage debates?  Istm that parts of the building offer potential beyond just tearing it down and putting up something new (and likely generic).  I believe the building has significance in terms of Kitchener's industrial history as well.

Edit:  Found it!  Home, from 1914, of Onward Manufacturing (extd 1906) - makers of one of Canada's early vacuum cleaners, among other things.  The company still operates in Kitchener, as the maker of Broil King grills.  Interesting how the company has reinvented itself over its century plus of existence.

http://www.omcbbq.com/onward-story.html  -  the link for the year 1914 has a good photo of the building as it once was.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-06-2017

The 1001-1007 property also borders on a boarded-up house (a fairly rare sight in town!) on the Charles side.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-06-2017

(01-05-2017, 12:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Edit:  Found it!  Home, from 1914, of Onward Manufacturing (extd 1906) - makers of one of Canada's early vacuum cleaners, among other things.  The company still operates in Kitchener, as the maker of Broil King grills.  Interesting how the company has reinvented itself over its century plus of existence.

The best companies can reinvent themselves, and yet be successful time and again.  Witness Nokia: from pulp to power generation, to rubber and cables, to computers and then phones -- and now networks.  Each of the businesses grew and peaked, and the company was always able to find a new growth opportunity.  Not a unique story, but another one of corporate reinvention.