Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 01-08-2017

I genuinely like 90 George, especially the Rideau Street frontage.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-08-2017

That façade is phony as a three dollar bill.  Not a fan, but views can differ.

To be fair, in the category of "faux historic", there are worse offenders.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Canard - 01-08-2017

I'd rather see something like the KW Habilitation building between Ottawa and Sydney:

https://goo.gl/maps/ubCZVky7HhJ2

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-08-2017

That one is quite tidy, yes. Unfortunately with a big surface parking lot, but then it is an existing build on Ottawa, so I can accept that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Canard - 01-08-2017

I don't think I'll ever fully understand why having parking is so frowned upon here.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - urbd - 01-09-2017

(01-08-2017, 11:48 PM)Canard Wrote: I don't think I'll ever fully understand why having parking is so frowned upon here.

do you know anything about urban design theory?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 01-09-2017

(01-09-2017, 10:14 AM)urbd Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 11:48 PM)Canard Wrote: I don't think I'll ever fully understand why having parking is so frowned upon here.

Would you care to elaborate?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-09-2017

We can say that the density/pedestrianization of Ottawa and Sydney is very different than Queen and Joseph.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 01-09-2017

(01-09-2017, 10:14 AM)urbd Wrote:

Do you know anything about urban design practice?   Tongue

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-09-2017

Parking can be great, parking can be horrible. The Shoppers Drug Mart Parking in downtown is a great deployment of parking, IMO. The continued encapsulation of the south lot Waterloo Town Square parking, which will soon only be visible from Caroline, is great.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-09-2017

Since that was my comment ... I'll say that surface parking is simply the enemy of intensification and higher density.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 01-12-2017

And parking is definitely preferred to 4 way flashers and cars impeding the sidewalk because they are "just gonna be a minute". Ugh.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Canard - 01-14-2017

Forgive me if there's already a thread for it, but there are four properties up for sale on the East side of Lancaster, roughly here (between Weber and Guelph), with the same giant red "FOR SALE" developerish-looking sign up in their yards.  I can't figure out what's going on here - it almost looks like they're a "set" that are all going to be removed for some larger structure.  But why would they be "For Sale"? The signs are so huge I can't imagine that people are currently living in these homes - it's almost like someone bought them with a project in mind, couldn't do it, so now they have their corporate sign up in all 4 properties for someone else to have a go at it.  I can't remember what the signs say on them, I only ever get a glimpse as I drive past but I think about it every time I do.

Anyone know more?

Edit - So, after doing a bit of digging on MLS, I found this:

Quote:This redevelopment/infill site is to be sold together with 134 Lancaster St. W., 138 Lancaster St. W. and 146 Lancaster St. W. The total land area of the 4 properties equals 1.01 acres and the sale price is $2,415,000. Please do not approach or walk the property without consent from the Listing Agent. Close proximity to the new transit hub and the Google offices. Ideal development site for stacked town homes and or walk up brownstones.

Interesting... I still wonder what the whole story here is.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 01-14-2017

tomh009 brought this parcel up about a month ago when we were talking about infill development in Kitchener, and there was a bit of conversation about the site and the price. That's a few pages back.

It's possible that someone assembled the properties with a project in mind and then for whatever reason couldn't go ahead.

At least one of those is a legal duplex, so my bet would be it was a landlord who over time acquired a few of the neighbouring properties (which is not uncommon), and is now selling out, and hoping a developer will see value in land already assembled.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 01-20-2017

After years of contemplating redevelopment Trinity United Church has hired a real estate professional.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7075709-trinity-united-hires-realtor-to-find-buyer