Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 03-07-2017

There was a hydro disconnect and some other work going on there on Thursday and Friday.

If I recall correctly, once the permits appear in the system (with status 'Open'), they have been issued. So maybe it will happen rather soon.

If these are demolished just to bring the parking lot to the corner, that's kind of a shame.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-07-2017

I'm hopeful that it is to consolidate the lot for a new development. That surface parking can only last so long in such a prime location.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 06:31 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: It appears that there is a demolition fence around the two houses on the south east corner of Moore and Wellington.

According the Kitchener permit system the properties (26 Moore Ave and 43 Wellington St N) are owned by Perimeter Development Corp, but I can't tell if the demolition permits have actually been issued or are still pending.

Demolition permits applied for (almost two months ago!) but not yet issued.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 03-07-2017

Where do you see that it was applied for but not issued? In the 'Online Permits' database, it says 'Open,' which I always thought meant issued.

(03-07-2017, 09:12 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Where do you see that it was applied for but not issued? In the 'Online Permits' database, it says 'Open,' which I always thought meant issued.

On the GIS system it shows the application date (late January) and the issue date (empty in this case).

Unless the GIS is out of date ...

ADDENDUM: in the online permits database, apart from the status, there is a permit number (17-103237 DE) so I believe a permit has actually been issued, in spite of what the GIS says.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - kevinchoi519 - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 09:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-07-2017, 06:31 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: It appears that there is a demolition fence around the two houses on the south east corner of Moore and Wellington.

According the Kitchener permit system the properties (26 Moore Ave and 43 Wellington St N) are owned by Perimeter Development Corp, but I can't tell if the demolition permits have actually been issued or are still pending.

Demolition permits applied for (almost two months ago!) but not yet issued.

http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=651&meta_id=37669

to be redeveloped non res

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 03-07-2017

It's almost funny how many times that document page 2 in particular refers to the applicant wanting to demolish the two residential properties.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - kevinchoi519 - 03-08-2017

(03-07-2017, 10:06 PM)rangersfan Wrote: It's almost funny how many times that document page 2 in particular  refers to the applicant wanting to demolish the two residential properties.

i agree its mentioned there a lot but its reiterated a lot is because its a demolition control report to council and kitchener city council has trouble understanding planning processes...ha ha ..Example A & W from a few weeks ago... waste of staff time, and tax payer dollars...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 03-08-2017

Supposedly it says the two will be sodded and maintained until redevelopment, but I find it hard to imagine that these won't be used in whole or in part for parking.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 03-08-2017

That would really open things up to pair with the surface lot for redevelopment.  Wishful thinking?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 03-08-2017

(03-08-2017, 09:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Supposedly it says the two will be sodded and maintained until redevelopment, but I find it hard to imagine that these won't be used in whole or in part for parking.

Why demolish now if there are no immediate plans to develop? Wouldn't 2 income properties be a better thing to have compared to an empty, sodded lot?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 03-08-2017

This is why I suspect it is to add parking. Perimeter has so far only done office development in the region. They are also the developers of the Breithaupt block whose parking lot surrounds these two buildings. This would give them more parking. Additionally, the city-taxable rate for an empty lot versus two buildings would be lower. Similar logic lead to the demolishing of the building on the northeast corner of Weber and Columbia.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - notmyfriends - 03-08-2017

It's better than what Sun Life / Bentall did with it's properties at Erb and Westmount.  That area would have been a whole lot better if those were knocked down and turned into a parkette years ago instead of waiting for.... whatever they're waiting for...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-08-2017

Those houses along Erb? Yeah, those deserve to be razed and have something higher density go in.