Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 03-14-2017

Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

That being said, I liked the black brick stacked town project. Oh well.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 03-18-2017

Has anyone heard any updates recently regarding the Eaton's building retail special? I am surprised it's still without a tenant.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 03-18-2017

(03-14-2017, 05:24 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Great looking sign for J & P.

Lots of activity there this morning.  I can see at least some of the shelves are already stocked.  Maybe another week or two before they open?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JJTL - 03-22-2017

J&P Grocery grand opening today??

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 03-22-2017

It is indeed open, visited at lunch, seems like a pretty nice opening selection of things, and I'll definitely try to move my Shoppers grocery purchases over to J&P. The cafe up top is also very nice, the Smile Tiger roasts coming off beautifully. Very clean and airy store.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-22-2017

It wasn't what I'd call a grand opening - no party or anything special set up - so I think this is intended as a soft opening.

I like the look of it, and the selection is decent.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-22-2017

Photos please! I've been curious to see where this comes down in the convenience store/urban supermarket continuum.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 03-22-2017

What kind of grocery selection do they have? Lots of produce and meat? I'm curious, too, to see how much of a complete grocery store this is- Viewfromthe42, since you were there and you go to Shopper's, how much more extensive is it than Shoppers' offerings?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-22-2017

Not a *lot* of produce, but a decent enough selection. The meat selection I saw was things like sausages from local vendors (same folks you'd see at the market Saturdays); not sure if they intend to stock full cuts.

Dairy is limited to a single organic milk supplier. I forgot to check the cheese selection.

Certainly lots of bread and other dry-good staples.

Those seeking a hot meal can get fresh soup from behind the counter, and today they also had lasagna available. I imagine this selection will rotate.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 03-23-2017

Their produce and meats were a bit more spartan in selection today, but even between my noon and 7pm visits, much of it disappeared. Sausages, fresh salmon, and pork chops, berries, fruits, squash, herbs, vegetables, tubers, bread, cheeses and other milk byproducts, lots of staple foods. They did ask if there was anything more I'd like to see, and I'll be giving it thought. I could probably cook a full week's worth of food from what's there, and as their meat and other selections increase in variety as they move from soft opening to greater comfort, it'll only get better. Prices are definitely higher ($2.49 for a box of Kraft Dinner, $18 for 3/4lb of Smile Tiger coffee), but I'm willing to pay a bit more to support a local operation finding its feet. If you consider Legacy Greens to be part of the same stop, being so close by, you really can make a large variety of meals for a week.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 03-23-2017

DTK now has J&P, SDM food section, New City, Legacy Greens, the market, and several bakeries. Definitely getting better. Whether we can eliminate some of our weekly trips out to the supermarkets remains to be seen. (Will visit J&P today for the first time to see how much it'll help in that direction.)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 12:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: DTK now has J&P, SDM food section, New City, Legacy Greens, the market, and several bakeries.  Definitely getting better.  Whether we can eliminate some of our weekly trips out to the supermarkets remains to be seen.  (Will visit J&P today for the first time to see how much it'll help in that direction.)

Just make sure you talk about what's missing, they said they were open to that. At this point, I'm ok going to shoppers for some of my basic staples (soap, 4L bags of milk, garbage bags), getting all the vegetables and nearly all the meat I could want at Legacy or the market, and now a lot of the pantry items can be found at J & P. There's definitely overlap, but not enough to make me feel a need to venture to Central Fresh, the Boardwalk, or Superstore.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 03-23-2017

I guess the next thing on the checklist would be a hardware store equivalent to Waterloo's Ontario Seed Home Hardware?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 01:09 PM)nms Wrote: I guess the next thing on the checklist would be a hardware store equivalent to Waterloo's Ontario Seed Home Hardware?

This is a bit out of downtown, but there is a Home Hardware on Park near Victoria. I would imagine these types of stores require more land, and a larger population base than most grocery stores.  They're also a less frequent trip for most.  This happens to be across the street for me, which is very convenient for me, but I wonder if there's any feasibility of one operating closer to DT while this one is open.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-23-2017

If you need some tools or other basic supplies in a pinch, Dollarama has a surprisingly wide selection (though quality isn't always reliable).