Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-22-2017

Progress at the old Schlicter's property:
[attachment=4140]

It looks like they are just covering the old facade with silver and black sheet metal.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 08-22-2017

(08-22-2017, 06:27 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Progress at the old Schlicter's property:

It looks like they are just covering the old facade with silver and black sheet metal.

The inside is undergoing a complete renovation, I know they have tenants line up Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 08-22-2017

I kind of hope they keep the old industrial like chimney beings they are going with an industrial look on the outside...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-22-2017

I seem to recall that the chimney will be retained.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-23-2017

It's too late to demolish it now anyway.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-24-2017

It looks like whatever is going in at 533 Queen St S (SW corner of Queen at Mill) is going to have a large parking lot:
[attachment=4147]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-24-2017

Well, that's unfortunate.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-26-2017

It looks like a commercial use of the building: a nice heritage building, with a large lot on Queen St, so commercial use is reasonable to me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-26-2017

There's going to be a special Kitchener City council meeting (in-camera) on 28-Aug-2017 "to consider one matter subject (152 Shanley Street) to solicitor-client privilege...Staff will provide an update and seek direction with respect to the property at 152 Shanley Street."

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-27-2017

(08-26-2017, 10:37 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: There's going to be a special Kitchener City council meeting (in-camera) on 28-Aug-2017 "to consider one matter subject (152 Shanley Street) to solicitor-client privilege...Staff will provide an update and seek direction with respect to the property at 152 Shanley Street."

A buyer, at long last?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-27-2017

Still no news on 225 King st W, regarding OHM Development's purchase of the empty lot, first brought to light from this Oct news article.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/6903866-vacant-kitchener-lot-sells-after-sitting-empty-for-decades/

Really looking forward to seeing something go in there.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-28-2017

Is this where they say "if you listen to neighbours who want to see two families max living on that lot, no one will ever buy it"
and
"if you want someone to invest in refinishing this old building, they'll need to put either many high end units into it, or expand the floor space to accommodate more units, or both"?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 08-28-2017

Which neighbours have said they want to see two families max on that lot? Anecdotally as someone in the neighbourhood, there's a general understanding that it will not be single-family homes there, and some density will be what it takes to get that eyesore removed.

Hopefully council and staff really are talking about being proactive, and somehow sending a message to potential buyers that density will be welcomed.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-28-2017

Anecdotally as well, any time I've heard neighbourhood voices speak about that building, in paper directly or from any council discussion, it's been of the mindset that no business be set up there which would cause cars to come and go (isn't that the heritage of that building, however? To be a workplace and have many cars coming and going at start/end of workday? Why do we never talk about preserving *that* kind of heritage?). So I always hear of it in the form of 1) don't put a business there, and 2) don't generate more traffic than the equivalent acreage of single family homes (that lot would take a few homes, were it like its neighbours), and 3) do not allow for any additions to the site which would add square footage, regardless of use.

Issue for that site is that the remediation (of the land) and restoration (of the building) will be so expensive that you could not pay for them with just the current square footage created for average market prices. So if no expansion is allowed, the only way to get someone to develop would be to pay for the remediation/restoration out of city coffers, to give the neighbours what they want (again, based on all I've ever heard from them). I seem to recall there being a proposal at one point to densify that site to be 6, maybe 8 storeys of units, which got some of the most heated opposition.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-31-2017

23 Eby St S is being renovated and converted into a duplex:

[attachment=4199]