Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 09-02-2017

The houses that were demolished at 43 Wellington St N and 26 Moore Ave were zoned R-5.

The allowed uses for R-5 are:
Coach House Dwelling Unit
Duplex Dwelling
Home Business
Hospice (By-law 2013-124, S.37)
Lodging House
Multiple Dwelling
Private Home Day Care
Residential Care Facility
Semi-Detached Duplex Dwelling legally existing prior to July 31, 2014 (OMB Order PL140037, Bylaw 2013-149 (Amended), S. 6)
Semi-Detached Dwelling
Single Detached Dwelling

Does that mean that an off-street parking lot for a facility that is 150m away is not allowed under the current zoning?

Thanks!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 09-06-2017

(01-20-2017, 06:57 AM)rangersfan Wrote: After years of contemplating redevelopment Trinity United Church has hired a real estate professional.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7075709-trinity-united-hires-realtor-to-find-buyer

According to an article in the Record the church has a conditional buyer.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-06-2017

That was relatively fast, given what the church wants to do with this project (ie incorporate a social housing component and space for the church, as I understand it). Will be interesting to see what the developer comes up with. It's such a prime site!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 09-06-2017

Similar discussions are progressing at St. Mark's Lutheran at King/Green.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 09-06-2017

(09-06-2017, 10:56 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Similar discussions are progressing at St. Mark's Lutheran at King/Green.

Do you have more info on this?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 09-06-2017

The church's web site has their annual report, which has some info about their contract with a property consultant. Different options for redevelopment been discussed for a few years, but I think more seriously the last year or so.

It's a beautiful church, but also a location with a lot of different possibilities.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-06-2017

Does St Mark's Lutheran own the parking lot behind the church?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 09-06-2017

I'm a member there, so there have been on going discussions, we are slowly approaching the final decision of our future.

The church does a lot of community ministry, and hosts a lot of non-profit groups and meetings.  The church will likely be seeking a partner who can allow us to continue to have a worship space, as well as continue to have a downtown (uptown I guess) presence and hosting space for these community groups.

The church is not looking to sell off for a profit, they want a partner.  The main thought process right now is leaning towards partnering with GRH, who is land locked.  In the next month or so the congregation will decide on the next steps.

Coke

EDIT: Parking lot is owned by the city, with a use agreement for Sunday mornings.  There is a small 3 car lot owned by the church at the rear, and the small lot at the front.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 09-06-2017

I'm curious about Pheidippides' question at post #1072. R-5 zoning has certain uses permitted...it seems that a parking lot, not being on that list, should not be allowed on the Wellington Street site.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 09-06-2017

I'm definitely curious to see what might get built at the St. Mark's site. What do you build adjacent to a high school and bordering a hospital?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - embe - 09-06-2017

(09-02-2017, 12:15 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Looking WEST:

Call me nostalgic but as much as things progress, I'll somehow miss that view.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 09-06-2017

(09-06-2017, 04:05 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm definitely curious to see what might get built at the St. Mark's site. What do you build adjacent to a high school and bordering a hospital?

GRH could probably use this space and the office space across the street to build something that straddles the road.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 09-07-2017

Don't think I've seen this posted yet. Apologies if it belongs in a different thread

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7539744-kitchener-smokestack-to-be-a-beacon-of-light/

I really like this idea Smile. I'm not a huge fan of the new portion of the tannery that's being revitalized for Deloitte (FAR too much wasted space for something directly downtown), but lighting up the smoketsack / having customizable lighting for holidays and events could really add some vibrancy to that side of downtown, and make it a bit more pleasant and inviting to walk along. Expanding the perceived "downtown" area, effectively. To me at least.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 09-07-2017

I'm not sure how much of a customization/light show you can do with only eight flood lights ("approved a proposal to install eight lights at the base of the smokestack").

Now if it where eight Christie Digital projectors like on city hall last year that might be news worthy.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-07-2017

Not really floodlights, as the LED beams will be highly directional. Four colours possible on each one, plus changes, so there is indeed some programming possible.