Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - notmyfriends - 10-25-2017

(10-25-2017, 08:28 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I went over to Phat Cat Shawarma for lunch last week, and was surprised to find it no longer existed. The owner had been talking about opening up for weekends now that Kind was open again, so I really didn't think the building was going to come down soon...

The building permit is for a three storey mixed use (yay) building at 624 King West.

3 story?  So I guess it's not this design from a few years back anymore http://www.abarchitect.ca/Project.htm?bShowGallery=1&ww_galleryID=6D89142B-9E8D-2486-0447-44D43C644213&pageGroupID=DE2D65B4-EB2D-4D44-8B97-CB4F96F9D4BD

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 10-25-2017

The City of Kitchener is considering lowering the asking price for 152 Shanley St, which I think is a positive step in order to get the ball on potential redevelopment rolling.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/asking-price-for-contaminated-former-factory-may-drop-1.3648873

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BobbyDaSilva - 10-26-2017

(10-25-2017, 11:23 PM)rangersfan Wrote: The City of Kitchener is considering lowering the asking price for 152 Shanley St, which I think is a positive step in order to get the ball on potential redevelopment rolling.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/asking-price-for-contaminated-former-factory-may-drop-1.3648873

The City needs to pre-zone for additional density and drop the purchase price to $1 before we see any action on it imo. Too much hair on it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 10-26-2017

(10-25-2017, 10:46 PM)notmyfriends Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 08:28 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I went over to Phat Cat Shawarma for lunch last week, and was surprised to find it no longer existed. The owner had been talking about opening up for weekends now that Kind was open again, so I really didn't think the building was going to come down soon...

The building permit is for a three storey mixed use (yay) building at 624 King West.

3 story?  So I guess it's not this design from a few years back anymore http://www.abarchitect.ca/Project.htm?bShowGallery=1&ww_galleryID=6D89142B-9E8D-2486-0447-44D43C644213&pageGroupID=DE2D65B4-EB2D-4D44-8B97-CB4F96F9D4BD

Thanks for finding that! I couldn't when I looked a while back.

Guess not. I really hope it winds up being something with that grid iron shape with the weird intersection angle, though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 08:48 AM)BobbyDaSilva Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 11:23 PM)rangersfan Wrote: The City of Kitchener is considering lowering the asking price for 152 Shanley St, which I think is a positive step in order to get the ball on potential redevelopment rolling.

The City needs to pre-zone for additional density and drop the purchase price to $1 before we see any action on it imo. Too much hair on it.

That rendering is very nice....too bad it isnt the same one !

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 08:48 AM)BobbyDaSilva Wrote:

I agree. They're going to be asking about half a million an acre for this site, but it's got a building that needs to be demolished after possible heritage headaches, and needs possibly very expensive remediation. And there's no guarantee of being able to build any given density here, given that it's a residential street with no buildings over three storeys around.

I don't see any way this property can be unloaded without being proactively up-zoned to give some assurances of what can be built.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-26-2017

Unless the City undertakes to pay the costs of remediation, I doubt they could even give the building away.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 11:17 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 08:48 AM)BobbyDaSilva Wrote: The City needs to pre-zone for additional density and drop the purchase price to $1 before we see any action on it imo. Too much hair on it.

I agree. They're going to be asking about half a million an acre for this site, but it's got a building that needs to be demolished after possible heritage headaches, and needs possibly very expensive remediation. And there's no guarantee of being able to build any given density here, given that it's a residential street with no buildings over three storeys around.

I don't see any way this property can be unloaded without being proactively up-zoned to give some assurances of what can be built.

Remediation aside, is it really impossible to use the building? This type of building is definitely in demand for the tech sector companies.  as I recall, someone said he had heard "the building is collapsing inside" but thee is no confirmation from anywhere else, and the city has not ordered its demolition as a safety hazard.

At the proposed price, the land cost is only about $1.5M/ha ($600K/acre) and the building potentially has value as well.  Provided the zoning is relaxed, I have to think that the remediation costs would be manageable given the low acquisition costs.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 10-27-2017

I've never read anything official saying the building is in danger of collapse, or unsafe, or impossible or difficult to rehabilitate. As a non-expert in building and construction, I have no real idea of how much it might cost to bring it up to snuff, or if that's possible. When I say "it's got a building that needs to be demolished," I admit that it's based on anecdotal evidence from neighbours who have been inside (none lately) or talked to city staff in closer detail about this. To me, it looks in bad shape, but I don't know.

So, I guess it's a case of the building potentially having value, or the building potentially being a liability. Hopefully during this sale, prospective buyers are at least allowed on site (which wasn't the case last time) to try to assess that for themselves.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-27-2017

Wasn't there an issue a few years back with one of the walls of the building bowing out?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-27-2017

(10-27-2017, 07:09 AM)MidTowner Wrote: To me, it looks in bad shape, but I don't know.

The Tannery looked to be in awful shape ten years ago, too, but look at it now ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 10-27-2017

Well, that's exactly why I said "I don't know"!

panamaniac is right that a few years ago (among other issues), one of the walls was noticed to be starting to fall back in on itself. The street was cordoned off for safety's sake. But presumably it was investigated, and determined that at least there was no imminent fear of collapse. So who knows (again: not I).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-27-2017

Indeed no risk of imminent collapse, otherwise the city would have had it torn down.

There are no doubt repairs that are needed, but that's not unexpected with a brownfield site like this.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - fern1230 - 10-31-2017

The Kitchener-Waterloo Library of Things is coming soon! This will be a space where you can borrow infrequently used items such as tools or camping equipment. By borrowing instead of purchasing items you use infrequently, you save your own money and reduce the resources you send to the landfill. This library will also be providing inclusive employment opportunities. What could be better!?

The KW Library of Things is getting ready to launch, and needs your help! If you have underused items kicking around your basement, garage or closet – this library is a great opportunity to give them a second life. Bring your items to 91 Moore Ave on November 4, 2017 from 10am - 4pm as a donation to our community. Items should be in new or lightly used condition and should fit the following categories: Tools, Kitchen equipment, and Camping supplies. Email kwlibraryofthings@gmail.com if you have any questions about the donation party.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-01-2017

wdemaiter posted a comment about a proposed HIP development for 741-751 King Street West (right across from Central Market), 30,000 square feet of office space and 170 rental units.

There is already an office building at 749 King Street West. The other addresses are houses which have been converted to office space.

170+ new neighbours in Midtown would be exciting here!