Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-24-2017

Quote:The sale of the Frederick Street site is still not final, so Trinity can't say much about future plans for the property, but the church will be demolished at some point.

Very important quote

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-24-2017

(11-24-2017, 01:53 PM)Spokes Wrote:
Quote:The sale of the Frederick Street site is still not final, so Trinity can't say much about future plans for the property, but the church will be demolished at some point.

Very important quote

Well it has long been known, or at least assumed, that the church would be demolished.  What was new, at least to me, was that the sale may be in the works and that the Trinity congregation might or might not seek to incorporate a church facility into the project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 11-25-2017

I am interested to know who the potential buyer is.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 11-25-2017

Frank Etherington in his most recent post writes:

Quote:Recently I learned about plans to build a 25-storey tower beside the Tannery at Francis and Charles streets and another 20-plus-storey building at Victoria and Bramm streets. One positive part about the proposal alongside The Tannery is the possibility it will include the first downtown grocery store in the city’s west end.

This is the first time I've heard about his project.  Anyone have any more details?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-25-2017

(11-25-2017, 12:31 PM)jgsz Wrote: Frank Etherington in his most recent post writes:

Quote:Recently I learned about plans to build a 25-storey tower beside the Tannery at Francis and Charles streets and another 20-plus-storey building at Victoria and Bramm streets. One positive part about the proposal alongside The Tannery is the possibility it will include the first downtown grocery store in the city’s west end.

This is the first time I've heard about his project.  Anyone have any more details?

There was a passing mention (nothing specific) the other week in SCC about possible development on the Manulife parking lot, which is one corner at Charles and Francis. I would have thought the municipal parking lot between Charles and Hall's Lane might be more likely - someone told me years ago that the City envisaged a Downtown supermarket in that general area.  

Actually, it occurs to me that the other parking lot at Charles and Francis, the one in the U-Hall block, is also Manulife's and it might be the more obvious choice for development, being a bit wider than the City lot across the street.

Hope it happens!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 11-25-2017

(11-25-2017, 01:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There was a passing mention (nothing specific) the other week in SCC about possible development on the Manulife parking lot, which is one corner at Charles and Francis. I would have thought the municipal parking lot between Charles and Hall's Lane might be more likely - someone told me years ago that the City envisaged a Downtown supermarket in that general area.  

Actually, it occurs to me that the other parking lot at Charles and Francis, the one in the U-Hall block, is also Manulife's and it might be the more obvious choice for development, being a bit wider than the City lot across the street.

Hope it happens!

Me too!

In his blog, Etherington mentions 10 major high-rise projects downtown.  Does anyone know which 10 projects he's talking about.  I can think of about 5 but no more. 

Quote:It’s unlikely Ottawa’s recent and overdue housing strategy will be in place when at least 10 major high-rise projects dramatically change Kitchener’s skyline during the next few years.

SIXO, 100 and 120 Victoria S, Charlie West, City Centre 2 (?), Drewlo on King E. Arrow Lofts 2.  Maybe he's including Breithaupt Block 3 as "Downtown".  What else?

Re the new National Housing Strategy, my guess would be that Kitchener would be more likely to seen some affordable low or midrise buildings in the Downtown periphery than towers that would define the skyline.

The project he mentions at Victoria and Bramm St is likely the Momentum project at 120 Victoria St.

Panamaniac what is SCC?

(11-25-2017, 01:52 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Panamaniac what is SCC?

I'm sorry - I meant SSP (SkyscraperPage).  I think I was thinking of SSC (SkyscraperCity), which I haven't visited for ages.  My bad.

A few months ago there was some discussion on here (this thread p126 to p127) about a potential Manulife project Downtown, I wonder if this is the project Mr. Etherington was referring to next to the Tannery.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-25-2017

(11-23-2017, 12:28 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: More than just a simple expansion...

Quote:"...they're going to build a brand-new building for the LCBO," Seiling said, adding that he had seen concept drawings from DiBattista.

Coke

Well, the quote above is a bit incomplete.  The complete quote says (highlight mine):
Quote:"They're going to have to demolish part of the building. They're going to build a brand-new building for the LCBO," Seiling said, adding that he had seen concept drawings from DiBattista.

Given that they are planning to open in the spring, they don't have much time for construction, so this needs to be a relatively simple and quick project.  Maybe they will keep the front of the buildings (whether facade or more than that), demolish the back part of all the buildings, and then add a simple single-storey new build at the back?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-25-2017

(11-25-2017, 01:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There was a passing mention (nothing specific) the other week in SCC about possible development on the Manulife parking lot, which is one corner at Charles and Francis. I would have thought the municipal parking lot between Charles and Hall's Lane might be more likely - someone told me years ago that the City envisaged a Downtown supermarket in that general area.  

The vision is good. But getting one of the grocery chains to sign up for an urban-format store is easier said than done. They seem to believe that we need a lot more people downtown before such a store is viable.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - EdM - 11-25-2017

(11-25-2017, 01:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: SIXO, 100 and 120 Victoria S, Charlie West, City Centre 2 (?), Drewlo on King E. Arrow Lofts 2.  Maybe he's including Breithaupt Block 3 as "Downtown".  What else?

Maybe each tower at SIXO and 100 Victoria is being counted separately? Also the Nougat / garage condo project beside the Iron Horse Trail should be in the list. Barra Castle is not a high-rise but otherwise fits with the premise of Etherington's article.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 11-27-2017

One of the employees at the current downtown LCBO suggested that the goal for opening of the new site was either March or January (!). I misheard, but one of those two.