Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 01-13-2015

(01-11-2015, 04:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: We'll have to wait to find out, but two Downtown merchants have told me (unhappily) that they have heard that the new tenant for the TBS space will be a high tech company.  

I really need to start an "Unconfirmed Rumours" thread....

Was their unhappiness because it's another tech company or just a tech company in THAT location?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-13-2015

(01-13-2015, 08:00 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 04:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: We'll have to wait to find out, but two Downtown merchants have told me (unhappily) that they have heard that the new tenant for the TBS space will be a high tech company.  

I really need to start an "Unconfirmed Rumours" thread....

Was their unhappiness because it's another tech company or just a tech company in THAT location?

It was the "loss" of a retail location on King St that they regretted. 

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-13-2015

Long street fronts occupied by opaque businesses ruins walking areas. If it weren't for the LCBO, the stretch of King in UpTown South of Starbucks wouldn't get any foot traffic, because the street fronting businesses there deaden the area. When they are on non-ground-level floors, leaving pedestrian level for interactive and engaging street fronts, this is not an issue. If you look south on King from this location, it is an expansion of an already large dead zone, soon approaching an area that will only further divide pedestrians to those starting and staying either north or south of Frederick. Very sad, actually.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - schooner77 - 01-13-2015

Opaque businesses...? Really? A retirement home, funeral home and brewery. Leave one building, head for the other and celebrate with the wake with the product of the third. Business that is pedestrian friendly will come, when the demand brings it, not the other way around. I think you'll see that section of King change in the next few years, with the development of the Brick property and the expansion of residential spots in the immediate area. I don't think it's sad, it's part of the natural way of development.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-13-2015

I am definitely not saying that pedestrian experiences are great on King south of William, I meant that absent the LCBO, pedestrian activity would drop as of the Starbucks. Definitely you can make easier cases when there's tons of demand, but at the same time, there's not a bunch of pedestrian demand around any of the Momentum properties, but they are starting to create it. The occupants of their buildings, safe Mambella's, also don't generate traffic, but those businesses can change as habits do, unlike something like the design of the Kaufman lofts, which will likely always be a poor pedestrian experience. But in the time being, walking in front of any Momentum building, even if I would never have reason to go into Waterloo Networking's office, is much more pleasant.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 01-13-2015

The stretch of King south of Startbucks... LCBO, Mambella's, Vincenzo's, Bauer Kitchen, Sabletines, Voila, Travel agency...

Am I the only one who thinks that stretch of King is starting to turn the corner?

p.s. I was equally surprised with the many new businesses south of GRH. That portion used to have Club Abstract and a funeral home. Now it is non-stop businesses and shops.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 01-13-2015

Viewfromthe42, thanks for your post (#198). I don't think that could be said better, and it would be a shame if there is a 'hole' in foot traffic around Frederick.

BuildingScout, you're right that there is a lot of hope for that stretch. But it's more than 300 meters between Bauer and the LCBO. There's little feeling of enclosure along that stretch; the street wall is poor. I observe little foot traffic there, but it might change once Brick is redeveloped. I would say that the block of King between Allen and John, and to a lesser extent down to Union, is going to be great. What you list will be joined by what goes in at Cortes.

I'm not so sure about the stretch south of GRH. There's a pharmacy that's not too inviting to people on foot; Abstract like you mention; what am I failing to remember?

I didn't take notes as I drove but every building seems to have been a business or shop: medical, 7-eleven, dentist, fast food.

Once you have traffic, store fronts and restaurants follow (see Duke Street food block). Again I'm not saying that area is there already, but certainly a huge contrast with what used to be.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 01-13-2015

I have massively high hopes for that particular stretch. Those uses (McDonald's, 7-Eleven, dental clinic, Tim Horton's) all have been there for quite some time with the exception of the dentist, and are not especially inviting for pedestrians. You're right that there are some trip generators along there, so a base from which to start. The built form will need to change, and hopefully will.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 01-13-2015

This came across my Twitter feed today ...  

exterior of Market Parking Garage is starting to fall. This is quite dangerous and would kill someone if they were directly below this exterior wall fail.

I sent the tweet to the Mayor's twitter account but heard nothing back. 

[ltr]From @beth_warren[/ltr]

"So saw this happen sunday. Was leaving market square parking and this collapsed! Scary! #dtkitchener "

pic.twitter.com/SXC5kBz7YS

[Image: vefqlq6.jpg]

Sunday: January 11, 2015

Having called here for the demolition of the whole thing, I call that a good headstart Tongue

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-14-2015

They've been working all year rehabbing the inside of the Market Square garage.  Time to start showing the exterior some love!  Even if it weren't falling to pieces, it's incredibly ugly.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 01-14-2015

The LCBO will need to relocate when the plaza it's in gets demolished. The Bargain shop space could be a good location for it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 01-14-2015

Wow, crazy that the facade is coming off the garage. Time for a change there!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 01-14-2015

(01-14-2015, 02:02 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: The LCBO will need to relocate when the plaza it's in gets demolished. The Bargain shop space could be a good location for

That's a long ways away though I'd guess right?

Although I'd agree, great location for an LCBO.