Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-23-2014

Ziggy's started out as a grocery store, if I recall correctly. I thought, however, that the block between Francis and Water was being looked at for that purpose.

Re The Bargain Store - I'd hate to see the site redeveloped as it's a nice deco building that should be preserved, imo.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re The Bargain Store - I'd hate to see the site redeveloped as it's a nice deco building that should be preserved, imo.

It's a deco building. The nice part is missing. It is also two story right downtown and has very little architectural detail. Take a picture and build on top of it. Of course a good architect could preserve the rather mediocre facade as part of the podium if they wanted to but I see no reason why.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:06 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: How about a Metro store instead of Ziggy's? With the Kaufman lofts, One Victoria, City Centre and 100 Victoria I think there is enough foot traffic for a downtown grocery store.

There's definitely the demand for an urban format grocery store.  I don't think Ziggy's is the right location unless you're planning on taking over the entire building.  Ziggy's looks a lot bigger from the outside of the store than it actually is on the inside.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 12:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 11:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re The Bargain Store - I'd hate to see the site redeveloped as it's a nice deco building that should be preserved, imo.

It's a deco building. The nice part is missing. It is also two story right downtown and has very little architectural detail. Take a picture and build on top of it. Of course a good architect could preserve the rather mediocre facade as part of the podium if they wanted to but I see no reason why.

This.

We have this attachment in Waterloo Region to mediocre architecture.  I see zero reason for this building to be preserved.  

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 10:29 AM)Spokes Wrote: No loss there to be honest.  Something else will open, or even better, it will get developed.
There is most definitely a loss there. The Bargain Shop, while it might be down-market, is still downtown's only thing resembling a department store. Without at replacement in the pipeline, it is a loss.

Also, I personally love the deco facade. I don't understand why it's seen as an "attachment in Waterloo Region to mediocre architecture" when it's an attachment to one of the few unique pieces of architecture we have. There are plenty of utilitarian cinderblock buildings to knock down still. Leave the few hints we have of architectural history alone.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - The85 - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:48 PM)Markster Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 10:29 AM)Spokes Wrote: No loss there to be honest.  Something else will open, or even better, it will get developed.
There is most definitely a loss there.  The Bargain Shop, while it might be down-market, is still downtown's only thing resembling a department store. Without at replacement in the pipeline, it is a loss.

What about Budds? I know they don't have basic non-perishable groceries, but it's still a department store.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-24-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:57 PM)The85 Wrote: What about Budds? I know they don't have basic non-perishable groceries, but it's still a department store.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in Budd's? I haven't been in for a couple of years, but as I recall it was more-or-less strictly clothing and more-or-less focused on a certain demographic (or at least, not any young demographics).

I wouldn't have characterized TBS as a department store myself, but it is a useful place from time-to-time for canned goods and other foodstuffs, dish soap, that kind of stuff. Its departure means some things it offered will be absent from downtown now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 11-24-2014

(11-24-2014, 09:33 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 11:57 PM)The85 Wrote: What about Budds? I know they don't have basic non-perishable groceries, but it's still a department store.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in Budd's? I haven't been in for a couple of years, but as I recall it was more-or-less strictly clothing and more-or-less focused on a certain demographic (or at least, not any young demographics).

I wouldn't have characterized TBS as a department store myself, but it is a useful place from time-to-time for canned goods and other foodstuffs, dish soap, that kind of stuff. Its departure means some things it offered will be absent from downtown now.

I've been to Budd's maybe 2 years ago. It had some housewares. Department stores are mostly clothing & housewares. In terms of demographic, I didn't really feel like it was targetted exclusively to older people.

General store type items are available at Shoppers' Drug Mart.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-24-2014

I have gone into Budd's fairly frequently over the last couple of years. Handy place to pick up things like towels, pillows, etc. I went in once to look for an umbrella and came out with some slippers! One of the Budd brothers also sold me the best wallet I have ever had (tons of places for plastic cards). I don't think I've ever bought any clothing there, however.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - REnerd - 11-24-2014

Yep, go to Budds and look upstairs.  You will be surprised.

Its a great place to get a floor mat for that winter weather, amongst other things.  Smile