Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-21-2017

Is that where Braun's locksmiths used to be?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-21-2017

(12-21-2017, 12:53 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that where Braun's locksmiths used to be?

Yes.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - kidgibnick - 12-21-2017

(12-20-2017, 10:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 10:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Work has been proceeding intermittently for at least two years on that building.   It's a wonderful interior, but I don't think the owners have a tenant for the space.

One of the first things they did was to paint over the old advertising sign on the side wall facing Eby (Braun Bicycles?).  I remember thinking at the time that that was a bone-headed thing to do!

I check this frequently, and there does not appear to be anything active.

This could be a great corner to develop, beside Fresh Grounds & The Yeti Cafe, across from the market... seems unbelievable such a beautiful looking building has sat empty for so long!?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-23-2017

(11-24-2017, 06:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Well it has long been known, or at least assumed, that the church would be demolished.  What was new, at least to me, was that the sale may be in the works and that the Trinity congregation might or might not seek to incorporate a church facility into the project.

Here is a nice story on how this is done in Toronto:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/abandoned-toronto-churches-being-reborn-ascondominiums/article37423283/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 12-30-2017

The Record has an update of the history of recent development in downtown Kitchener.

Quote:KITCHENER — Astonishing. Extraordinary. A model for the continent and the world.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 09:10 AM)jgsz Wrote: The Record has an update of the history of recent development in downtown Kitchener.

Quote:KITCHENER — Astonishing. Extraordinary. A model for the continent and the world.

Quotes like the one below from the same articel are misinformed, and not helping to change the stereotypical impression many still have of downtown Kitchener:
"If somebody told me this was going to happen, even five years ago, I would have said they were on drugs like a lot of people in downtown Kitchener," said Haldenby.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 12-30-2017

Neat article, 3500 residential units in Downtown not including Sixo, that is very impressive.
Also that 10 of the projects will be at least One Victoria in size is new information.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 12-30-2017

Which buildings are the rentals in?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 11:09 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Which buildings are the rentals in?

The only ones that I know will include rentals are Arrow 2, Drewlo and SIXO.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 10:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Quotes like the one below from the same articel are misinformed, and not helping to change the stereotypical impression many still have of downtown Kitchener:
"If somebody told me this was going to happen, even five years ago, I would have said they were on drugs like a lot of people in downtown Kitchener," said Haldenby.

Yes. A very positive article overall but some of it is not right.

Quote:Haldenby's short list of concerns is nothing to compared to the many challenges plaguing the downtown in the past 20 years.
Crack cocaine and later, crystal meth. Prostitution. Abandoned buildings. Absentee landlords who did not care about their buildings or tenants. A declining population. Two failed shopping malls. For a long time that's what people saw downtown.

While those all happened in Kitchener, "20 years ago" would be far more accurate than "in the past 20 years". Manulife took over King Centre in 1999, Centre Block was cleaned up maybe 10 years ago, and Cedar Hill has been in far better shape for a long time now.

Still, I'm happy to see the positive article. And even happier with the momentum we now have in DTK.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 11:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 10:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Quotes like the one below from the same articel are misinformed, and not helping to change the stereotypical impression many still have of downtown Kitchener:

Yes.  A very positive article overall but some of it is not right.

Quote:Haldenby's short list of concerns is nothing to compared to the many challenges plaguing the downtown in the past 20 years.
Crack cocaine and later, crystal meth. Prostitution. Abandoned buildings. Absentee landlords who did not care about their buildings or tenants. A declining population. Two failed shopping malls. For a long time that's what people saw downtown.

While those all happened in Kitchener, "20 years ago" would be far more accurate than "in the past 20 years". Manulife took over King Centre in 1999, Centre Block was cleaned up maybe 10 years ago, and Cedar Hill has been in far better shape for a long time now.

Still, I'm happy to see the positive article.  And even happier with the momentum we now have in DTK.

It is definitely a positive article, although, quotes like the one given are frustrating.  The number of times FB articles include commenters who describe DT Kitchener the way I remember seeing it when I moved to the region is so frustrating. Suggesting you could never safely take your kids there would be hilarious in the face of the festivals we frequently visit teeming with families, if it wasn't so harmful to the city as a whole.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 01-01-2018

(12-30-2017, 10:19 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Neat article, 3500 residential units in Downtown not including Sixo, that is very impressive.
Also that 10 of the projects will be at least One Victoria in size is new information.

With 3,500 new units planned for downtown Kitchener the Manulife plan, which (perhaps) includes a large grocery story, would be timely.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-01-2018

Has anyone heard any updates on the progress of 141 Ontario St N? This is the second tower next to the one with ServiceOntario. A building permit was issued almost a year ago to convert four floors of the tower into 28 rental apartments. I wouldn't have thought it would take a year to do that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - megabytephreak - 01-01-2018

I'm pretty sure I saw a unit there listed on Kijiji in the last month or two. Not sure if it was a sublet or not, but that would suggest they did make it to market.
Didn't save the listing, so I don't have other details.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 01-01-2018

I've seen listings for the building on Kijiji too, and I'm pretty sure I saw sign for the apartments last time I went to the Apollo.