Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-02-2018

It appears it is complete then -- great!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 01-11-2018

Future site of The Waterloo Club, apparently rebranded Founders Hall (shouldn't there be an apostrophe at the end of founders?), at Duke and Victoria:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 01-11-2018

Looks like it will be very nice !!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - urbd - 01-11-2018

(01-11-2018, 12:19 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Future site of The Waterloo Club, apparently rebranded Founders Hall (shouldn't there be an apostrophe at the end of founders?)

No apostrophe is Founders is being used as a proper noun, because then it is the name of the hall, and it doesn't refer to anyone's possession.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-11-2018

(01-11-2018, 10:09 AM)urbd Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 12:19 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Future site of The Waterloo Club, apparently rebranded Founders Hall (shouldn't there be an apostrophe at the end of founders?)

No apostrophe is Founders is being used as a proper noun, because then it is the name of the hall, and it doesn't refer to anyone's possession.

So who was Founders?  I sort of regret the name change - I appreciated the local quirkiness of having the "Waterloo Club" located in Kitchener.  Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 01-11-2018

I took it to mean more than one founder.  UW had the Founders Celebration in 1997.  Lot's of other examples out there.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 01-11-2018

(01-11-2018, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 10:09 AM)urbd Wrote: So who was Founders?  I sort of regret the name change - I appreciated the local quirkiness of having the "Waterloo Club" located in Kitchener.  Wink

It's not an issue to have the Waterloo Club located in the seat of Waterloo Region.

I think the Waterloo Club is a better name, too. Question: was the bar ever open to the public? Even certain hours?

Anybody thinking of joining when the new location opens? In the absence of a "local", having a club to go to has a certain appeal, istm.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 01-11-2018

That's a good point, too!

I had the same thought as panamaniac, that this would be as good as a local (it will be the closest bar to me...), which is why I asked about the bar's public accessibility. Does anyone know what dues are like?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-11-2018

A lot of interior torn up in the giant ground level of the Eaton lofts at King and Water, near to the rear laneway.

(01-11-2018, 06:38 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A lot of interior torn up in the giant ground level of the Eaton lofts at King and Water, near to the rear laneway.

You mean the two storefronts on Water St, closest to the lane?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 01-11-2018

Really? If it were just "Founders Hall" I could see it as simply attributive or plural noun (the hall exists to serve its members not that the hall is owned by its members), but the name (and URL) is "The Founders Hall" which to me means the hall belonging to the founders (more than one) and needs an apostrophe as a plural possessive not a plural noun.

Learn something on here new everyday.

And so this post is completely devoid of relevant content, 270 Spadina Rd E now has a construction fence around the front and all the vegetation except for the big tree closest to Highland has been ripped out.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 01-12-2018

(01-11-2018, 10:29 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 10:09 AM)urbd Wrote: No apostrophe is Founders is being used as a proper noun, because then it is the name of the hall, and it doesn't refer to anyone's possession.

Really? If it were just "Founders Hall" I could see it as simply attributive or plural noun (the hall exists to serve its members not that the hall is owned by its members), but the name (and URL) is "The Founders Hall" which to me means the hall belonging to the founders (more than one) and needs an apostrophe as a plural possessive not a plural noun.

Learn something on here new everyday.

And so this post is completely devoid of relevant content, 270 Spadina Rd E now has a construction fence around the front and all the vegetation except for the big tree closest to Highland has been ripped out.

Further down the road near Blockline and Homer-Watson, an apartment building went up. Five floors, on your right when heading south on Homer-Watson.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 01-12-2018

(01-11-2018, 08:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 06:38 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: A lot of interior torn up in the giant ground level of the Eaton lofts at King and Water, near to the rear laneway.

You mean the two storefronts on Water St, closest to the lane?

I thought it looked like the large area and not the small ones but I'm not 100% sure.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 01-12-2018

Frank Etherington's blog mentions 30 + storey condo towers planned for the transit hub.  When was that approved?

Quote: He (Rich Haldenby) also wants a quality design standard for buildings that will form Kitchener’s future core plus an attractive focal point for the $43-million LRT hub and the 30-plus-storey condo' towers planned at the Victoria and King transit hub.