Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 02-04-2018

Holy cow, that garden looks incredible from satellite view.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 02-04-2018

Is the lot wide enough for a row of towns, I wonder?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-04-2018

It's about 18m (60') wide so you probably could do a row of towns if you put the parking at the back. The property is an amazing 123m (400' or so) long!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 02-05-2018

A very remarkable size! And thanks for the history lesson, as well.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-05-2018

(02-04-2018, 08:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's about 18m (60') wide so you probably could do a row of towns if you put the parking at the back.  The property is an amazing 123m (400' or so) long!

Actually, I just checked the dimensions for 122 Courtland E, which now has a now block of 14 stacked townhouses.  The lot is also about 18m wide, though only 48m deep.  And they actually have parking all along the length, so I think 165 Courtland E would have no trouble at all fitting in stacked townhouses.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 02-13-2018

Noticed that the Northern Thai building (Queen St S, right near Charles), which was recently for sale, has now sold. Incoming development? OR does downtown property changing hands like this mean virtually nothing?

In either case, this (combined with the abutting 2 storey strip mall fronting the Queen St Ion Station) is probably my most anticipated downtown property to be developed. The potential is huge, and considering the gross state of the property / it's businesses now, I'm excited for it to hopefully turn into a nice commercial development!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 02-14-2018

(02-13-2018, 11:11 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed that the Northern Thai building (Queen St S, right near Charles), which was recently for sale, has now sold. Incoming development? OR does downtown property changing hands like this mean virtually nothing?

In either case, this (combined with the abutting 2 storey strip mall fronting the Queen St Ion Station) is probably my most anticipated downtown property to be developed. The potential is huge, and considering the gross state of the property / it's businesses now, I'm excited for it to hopefully turn into a nice commercial development!

I had heard two years ago that the 2 storey strip mall was sold to an (American?) developer so here's hoping! The little house on Church was also for sale fairly recently.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-14-2018

(02-13-2018, 11:11 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed that the Northern Thai building (Queen St S, right near Charles), which was recently for sale, has now sold. Incoming development? OR does downtown property changing hands like this mean virtually nothing?

I do hope Northern Thai has a new home in the plans and they are not closing up shop.  IIRC they own the building they are in now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 02-14-2018

Oh - I've also found out that the Kava Bean (on the site of the future Charlie West) has first dibs on the retail space in the site when complete. I've ALSO heard that Kava is eyeing the remaining space in 132 Queen (We're only taking up 2/3s of the building, for now) for a temporary location, but the property manager is hesitant to allow a retail outlet to open in the space given the limited parking.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-14-2018

(02-14-2018, 01:16 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Oh - I've also found out that the Kava Bean (on the site of the future Charlie West) has first dibs on the retail space in the site when complete. I've ALSO heard that Kava is eyeing the remaining space in 132 Queen (We're only taking up 2/3s of the building, for now) for a temporary location, but the property manager is hesitant to allow a retail outlet to open in the space given the limited parking.

There is also available space between your building and Charles -- for example, the lovely Pearl Laundry building, which I think very much deserves a tenant. Its likely smaller than Kava's current space, though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 02-14-2018

Looks like the final purpose for 533 Queen St S (SW corner of Queen @ Mill) is finally known. Building permit indicates:
PERMIT IS FOR THE INTERIOR ALTERATION TO A SDD INTO A HOME HEATING BUSINESS

Not sure why such a large parking lot was needed. I guess it is a fairly large or growing business with lots of trucks?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 02-18-2018

Is there something funny with your camera, or is the building actually wobbly?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 02-19-2018

The floor to ceiling bedroom windows seem like a big upgrade, but part of me is going to miss the blue brick - not a lot of that around.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 02-19-2018

LOL --- My BlackBerry Priv does the same thing occasionally. [I remember someone here making comments about the sign posts when I took a snapshot of the overhead signs at the [then] new Ottawa/Homer-Watson roundabout)

Coke

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JoeKW - 02-19-2018

I hope that camera has some bad barrel distortion...