Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 09-12-2016

Is the mill property protected? I'm pretty certain that Shawky Fahel go some support and kudos for his initial revitalization of the Nougat property.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-12-2016

(09-12-2016, 01:30 PM)nms Wrote: Is the mill property protected?  I'm pretty certain that Shawky Fahel go some support and kudos for his initial revitalization of the Nougat property.

It is not.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 09-15-2016

There was some sample drilling in the vacant lot/property at the north east corner of Highland and Spadina recently. Large and small holes all across the lot, mostly on the perimeter though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 09-15-2016

I used to live right near that corner and it seemed like some kind of sampling would be done a couple times a year.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 09-16-2016

Probably due to the fact that it's a former Texaco station

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-18-2016

(09-16-2016, 06:43 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Probably due to the fact that it's a former Texaco station

Gas station soil remediation can be a very lengthy and costly process.  Let's hope this location is not as bad.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 12:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 06:43 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Probably due to the fact that it's a former Texaco station

Gas station soil remediation can be a very lengthy and costly process.  Let's hope this location is not as bad.

The fact that the lot has been sitting empty for about 30 years doesn't seem like a good sign ......

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 09-18-2016

I saw a presentation a few years ago by a representative of the fuel industry. Long story short, they collectively have a lot of old contaminated properties on their roster, are working through them, have minimum testing requirements on some and clean up old some to a usable state on a priority basis. The sites are prioritized by a number of factors, but I got the impression that if you had a certain one you thought should be cleaned up (and then redeveloped!), you would need to "help" the fuel company involved increase the priority level of that property....

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-18-2016

I expect the property value (as compared to the clean-up costs) will be a prime factor for setting the priority. Our gas station sites may be sitting empty for decades but I expect they'll get cleaned up pretty quick in Vancouver.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-22-2016

(07-12-2016, 03:20 PM)kitchener-dk Wrote: Is there information online about the Courtland townhouse development?

Here is a photo of the foundation. Smile

[attachment=2303]