Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 05-20-2018

Looks like they are really giving the building a fresh look. The apartment and the empty lot next store both needed work. I used to live 4 houses from that intersection, really nice area with many parks.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 05-21-2018

You'd think they'd Photoshop out those ugly slabs for their render, but nope.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 05-21-2018

(05-21-2018, 10:23 AM)C Plus Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 11:27 PM)jeffster Wrote: Something needs to be done about that ghastly corner though...even a green space until someone develops it...

It is contaminated. Has to cleaned up.

Presumably they could at least pull up the remaining pavement, lay down sod over the whole area, and replace the concrete block barriers with something less unattractive.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - C Plus - 05-21-2018

(05-21-2018, 10:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-21-2018, 10:23 AM)C Plus Wrote: It is contaminated. Has to cleaned up.

Presumably they could at least pull up the remaining pavement, lay down sod over the whole area, and replace the concrete block barriers with something less unattractive.

I wonder if the owner would allow someone to do that if that someone paid for it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 05-21-2018

Update on the creative hub at 44 Gaukel:

Update on agreement with Kitchener downtown BIA:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - highlander - 05-22-2018

That's the way I interpret it, yes.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 06-04-2018

From the Record:

Metal and glass addition planned for heritage building in downtown Kitchener

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-04-2018

Hmmm. Maybe it'll look better in real life?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-04-2018

(06-04-2018, 08:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Hmmm. Maybe it'll look better in real life?

I wouldn't put money on it.  If approved, it will be interesting to see if there is a market for office condos in DTK.

Something like this is what I've long wanted to see at the old Stantec space at Market Square.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 06-05-2018

What exactly is an office condo?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-05-2018

(06-05-2018, 06:33 AM)rangersfan Wrote: What exactly is an office condo?

Same as an residential condominium, except for office space.  The office space is purchased, not rented.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-05-2018

(06-04-2018, 09:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 08:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Hmmm. Maybe it'll look better in real life?

I wouldn't put money on it.  If approved, it will be interesting to see if there is a market for office condos in DTK.

Conceptually those are a good idea. The challenge there is that companies' space needs can change -- whether up or down -- much more rapidly than a family's. And if they do change, you are stuck with a unit that you can't shrink or expand (unless there happens to be a condo for sale next door) without selling it.  This flexibility is why most companies choose to rent rather than own office space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-05-2018

(06-05-2018, 09:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 09:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wouldn't put money on it.  If approved, it will be interesting to see if there is a market for office condos in DTK.

Conceptually those are a good idea. The challenge there is that companies' space needs can change -- whether up or down -- much more rapidly than a family's. And if they do change, you are stuck with a unit that you can't shrink or expand (unless there happens to be a condo for sale next door) without selling it.  This flexibility is why most companies choose to rent rather than own office space.

I can see why a condo option might be attractive for small professional operations (lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc), but yes it would seem inappropriate for companies envisaging growth, unless they were to take extra space with a view to subletting.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JJTL - 06-08-2018

There is a sign up on Queen St, between King and Duke, giving notice that the street will be closed starting Monday June 11th, for 3 weeks. Anybody know what this is for? Perhaps this for the Queen St revitalization project?

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7106211-city-to-spend-900k-sprucing-up-tired-section-of-queen-street/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 06-08-2018

The regional GIS says utility work. It is probably pre-utility work for that project. That project is going to take much longer than the 3 weeks to complete.

New sod at expanded Schneider Haus: