Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 08:14 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 09:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The city's zoning does not require retail at this location. And there is no shortage at all of retail space, with existing retail, the Drewlo project -- and the huge vacant property across the street.

I think that's a bit of the issue.  They should require it.

Then we need to get the new council to work on the zoning bylaws. But it likely won't be soon enough for this project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 07-04-2018

(07-04-2018, 09:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 08:14 PM)Spokes Wrote: I think that's a bit of the issue.  They should require it.

Then we need to get the new council to work on the zoning bylaws. But it likely won't be soon enough for this project.

Zoning is already way too restrictive. The idea that it will now require things really goes too far. If retail is actually a good idea at that location then allowing it should be good enough. This is similar to my observation about parking minima: people have in some places started talking about replacing minima with maxima. The idea of just getting rid of the minima and seeing what happens is apparently inconceivable. Remember, all the best parts of the best cities in the world were built without assistance from a planning department.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-05-2018

Some renovations under way at 432/436 Queen St S, next to the Schneider Haus. No building permit issued (or at least not visible by public search) so I assume it's relatively minor. The property is also likely too small to be redeveloped.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-06-2018

A new design unveiled for the Kitchener cenotaph:
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8726262-proposed-poppy-motif-gives-a-hug-to-the-cenotaph-in-kitchener-redesign/

[Image: B88265789Z.1_20180705185104_000_GH48B27Q...rtrait.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-08-2018

Wasn't there a sale of at least a portion of the space a couple of years ago?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 07-09-2018

I thought so too, with talk of a redevelopment. Residential maybe?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-09-2018

As I recall, the smaller property on the right has been purchased by Manulife. Or do I misremember?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-09-2018

What is the former Budds looking like these days? I haven't been by for a few months but, at that time, progress seemed to be very slow.

(07-09-2018, 11:21 AM)tomh009 Wrote: As I recall, the smaller property on the right has been purchased by Manulife. Or do I misremember?

The empty lot?

I thought a small time developer bought it.  Or maybe I'm dreaming.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 07-09-2018

My recollection had been that there was supposedly a small time developer looking to put a 10-storey low-parking residential condo there. Kitchener, however, is pushing very hard for no more than 6 floors on King if you max out their bonusing, and preferring just 3 floors. This site isn't really deep enough to make much good use of with those restrictions.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 07-09-2018

(07-09-2018, 11:36 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Kitchener, however, is pushing very hard for no more than 6 floors on King if you max out their bonusing, and preferring just 3 floors.

LOL, what the heck? City hall is a big tower... Charlie West is right there too, what is with this region and fetishizing 3 storey downtowns?

3 storeys at street level right? With lots of step backs?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-09-2018

(07-09-2018, 11:39 AM)clasher Wrote: LOL, what the heck? City hall is a big tower... Charlie West is right there too, what is with this region and fetishizing 3 storey downtowns?

None of those are AT King, they are all set back by some distance. They want a max-3-storey streetwall facing King.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 07-09-2018

To quote a famous meme, why tho?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 07-09-2018

(07-09-2018, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What is the former Budds looking like these days?  I haven't been by for a few months but, at that time, progress seemed to be very slow.

If the scaffolding and sidewalk covering was up when you last went by, then it probably doesn't look much different. There was a long slow period (I can't remember the specifics or dig up info but the project was in violation of I *think* worker safety laws) but over the past couple of weeks I've seen more activity. It might just be because I walk around at lunch and it's nice out so the crew is eating out front but also it seems like there's more activity in the build itself. The new floor has some walls up - the framing and the outside layer before the brick or siding or whatever they'll put in - but none of that actual outside layer.