Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-14-2018

(08-13-2018, 11:17 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I actually agree with Haalboom. Weber should be "the line" downtown for building condos. Kitchener has FAR too little pre-1950 (or whatever) homes near the downtown core. We need to build up, yes, but like hell if I'll stand for demolishing every ounce of character and every mature tree in order to do so. I'm tired of bland as hell, boujie retail spaces in the bottom of condos that only very wealthy people can open up shop in. The older houses — especially in these heritage neighbourhoods — are the lasting character of the city. I want to see more of the uniqueness and creativity that houses-turned-retail presents. Like the Yeti, for example. There has to be a balance of both, and I think that "bulldoze everything within 5 blocks of an LRT station" is a foolhardy and dangerous opinion.

I don't think anyone is proposing to demolish every house, cut down every tree and bulldoze everything.

But on the other hand, I don't think we should assign heritage designation to every house, either. "Far too few older homes" is hard to argue with as the criteria are subjective. But there certainly are many hundreds of pre-war homes in the downtown area (roughly ward 9), likely well over a thousand. And many of them are protected, including the entire Victoria Park neighbourhood, so there is little risk of all of them disappearing.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-14-2018

There are a dozen or so larger buildings in the downtown core east of Weber St. I can think of already, many are quite old.

Larger buildings, of the 3-6 storey variety do not threaten a community, this is that type of building. If they were proposing a 30 storey tower, I'd be somewhat more critical. This development is "within reason".

I really don't think we should be drawing any line against sustainable development. If there is historic value to the buildings they might be worth saving but I don't think "cute" cuts it, every single house in the core you'll find someone who finds something about it cute or charming, and something unique.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-14-2018

If the render in the heritage report is accurate, the proposed building would be about 1 to 1.5 storeys taller than the neighbouring apartment block.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Chicopee - 08-14-2018

It'd sure be nice to see some of the already dead space in and around the core built upon first. Look at how many vacant lots and parking lots there are. But instead century homes are being torn down, while vacant lots persist.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 06:15 PM)Chicopee Wrote: It'd sure be nice to see some of the already dead space in and around the core built upon first. Look at how many vacant lots and parking lots there are. But instead century homes are being torn down, while vacant lots persist.

We cannot dictate to the owners of private properties that they must build something. We can try to encourage, but we can't force them.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Chicopee - 08-15-2018

(08-14-2018, 10:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:15 PM)Chicopee Wrote: It'd sure be nice to see some of the already dead space in and around the core built upon first. Look at how many vacant lots and parking lots there are. But instead century homes are being torn down, while vacant lots persist.

We cannot dictate to the owners of private properties that they must build something. We can try to encourage, but we can't force them.

Never did I suggest that we could or would dictate what property owners can do.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-15-2018

(08-15-2018, 07:56 PM)Chicopee Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 10:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: We cannot dictate to the owners of private properties that they must build something. We can try to encourage, but we can't force them.

Never did I suggest that we could or would dictate what property owners can do.

Right. So if the owners of vacant land don't want to build, or sell at a reasonable price, developers will redevelop existing properties.

Me, I would like to remove the property tax discount for vacant land, to remove that disincentive to development. (The latest Economist goes further, proposing taxation based strictly on land value, and completely exempting the buildings themselves. With this idea, land would be taxed exactly the same whether it has a parking lot or a condo building.)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-15-2018

(08-15-2018, 09:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 07:56 PM)Chicopee Wrote: Never did I suggest that we could or would dictate what property owners can do.

Right. So if the owners of vacant land don't want to build, or sell at a reasonable price, developers will redevelop existing properties.

Me, I would like to remove the property tax discount for vacant land, to remove that disincentive to development. (The latest Economist goes further, proposing taxation based strictly on land value, and completely exempting the buildings themselves. With this idea, land would be taxed exactly the same whether it has a parking lot or a condo building.)

Is there anything that prevents an Ontario municipality from doing so?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-16-2018

(08-15-2018, 11:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 09:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Right. So if the owners of vacant land don't want to build, or sell at a reasonable price, developers will redevelop existing properties.

Is there anything that prevents an Ontario municipality from doing so?

No. Here are Hamilton's tax rates, as an example.
https://d3fpllf1m7bbt3.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/media/browser/2018-06-19/2018-final-tax-rates.pdf

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 08-21-2018

Looks like the vacant spot where Marina's was is going to be parking, at least temporarily.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Tony_Plow - 08-21-2018

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but EuroPro is changing the name of Commerce House to 50Q and they've already started exterior and interior renovations.

More details here:

https://europro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/50Q-Building-Brochure.pdf

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 08-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 12:31 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Apparently the owner, "2407850 Ontario Inc.", of 453 Park St in Kitchener, the medical building that was just demolished at Park and Wood, wants to build a "3-story 30-unit stacked townhouse development."
Source: November 15, 2016 committee of adjustment minutes (sorry Kitchener's new system does not link)

I got to it by searching here: https://lf.kitchener.ca/WebLinkExt/Search.aspx

[attachment=5471]
[attachment=5472]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - urbd - 08-27-2018

(08-24-2018, 09:49 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 12:31 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Apparently the owner, "2407850 Ontario Inc.", of 453 Park St in Kitchener, the medical building that was just demolished at Park and Wood, wants to build a "3-story 30-unit stacked townhouse development."
Source: November 15, 2016 committee of adjustment minutes (sorry Kitchener's new system does not link)

I got to it by searching here: https://lf.kitchener.ca/WebLinkExt/Search.aspx

I wish they had added balconies to this one Sad

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-27-2018

There's something a bit odd about ground-oriented housing without any real interaction with the ground. If you don't have balconies, if your windows are permanently closed and you don't even use your front entrance (greystones at Allen and Park), it seems very odd, other than it's a size that gets away from the worries of neighbours.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 08-29-2018

(08-21-2018, 04:55 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but EuroPro is changing the name of Commerce House to 50Q and they've already started exterior and interior renovations.

More details here:

https://europro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/50Q-Building-Brochure.pdf

I always thought this ground floor would be perfect for a restaurant with a patio. The patio is essentially there already.