Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-29-2018

(10-29-2018, 01:38 PM)nms Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:15 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Mind you, I have no idea what this place looks like.

The Halloween Party link does include several shots of the interior if you scroll further down.

I didn't realize that the pews were still in the Sanctuary.  Makes it a bit challenging as a party venue, I should think.  I wonder if they won't be using the wonderful circular space at the back of the complex?  That is a space that could be developed into something terrific in its own right.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 10-30-2018

I think I'm out of the loop - is it still a church, or has it been sold? I agree, that circular space at the back of the church is spectacular.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 10-30-2018

(10-30-2018, 08:56 AM)jamincan Wrote: I think I'm out of the loop - is it still a church, or has it been sold? I agree, that circular space at the back of the church is spectacular.

It hasn't been a church since 2015. God has left the building.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7046272-former-zion-united-church-in-kitchener-won-t-be-demolished-owner-says/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-30-2018

LCBO construction at 332 King St W is progressing ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-30-2018

So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

(10-30-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

Based on the drawings, it looks like a walkway, not a driveway.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-30-2018

I had no idea there was such a gap. That's awful. It's King Street!! How is there no street wall.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-30-2018

(10-30-2018, 11:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

Based on the drawings, it looks like a walkway, not a driveway.

Here's hoping - the idea that there could be new "driveways" off King St in DTK strikes me as seriously small town.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JoeKW - 10-30-2018

I think the gap allows the neighbouring building to be torn down and fully use their space for a tower. I'm just guessing though.

(10-30-2018, 11:51 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I think the gap allows the neighbouring building to be torn down and fully use their space for a tower. I'm just guessing though.

You never know.  Although it doesn't give them a ton of extra space.  Are they the same owners?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 10-30-2018

This is also why it's so important to study our cycling infrastructure as a network. The parkway is a major barrier to cyclists and pedestrians, so rectifying it should have been forefront on the thoughts of city and regional planners. I don't buy for a minute that the MTO would have rebuild Victoria Street without some consultation with local municipalities. We've seen them include active transportation infrastructure elsewhere when rebuilding bridges, so I don't see why the same couldn't have happened here.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 10-30-2018

Isn't the gap going to be a little parkette?

(10-30-2018, 12:33 PM)Lens Wrote: Isn't the gap going to be a little parkette?

What??  Ugh I hope that's not the case.  That doesn't seem to fit.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 10-30-2018

I'd much rather a park than the parking lot I am anticipating.

It's definitely not a parking lot. A walkway with landscaping -- does that make it a parkette?