Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 01:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Further down King too:

Quote:Another major project is in the works a bit further down King Street. Vive has been buying up property in the block bounded by King, Ottawa and Charles streets and Borden Avenue, and now owns close to two acres in the block, where it hopes to build 500 or more rental units, said Stephen Litt, a principal at Vive.

The development is in the early stages, but it will likely be built in phases over the next several years, Litt said. It could include a grocery store as well as hundreds of apartments priced in the mid-range. He sees the site as having great potential as a gateway to the downtown.

A perfect block for redevelopment - as long as they save the old Onward Mfg building (is it heritage protected, I wonder?).  Is one allowed to be sceptical about developments that "could" include a supermarket?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 09:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is one allowed to be sceptical about developments that "could" include a supermarket?

As long as the project does not hinge on signing up a supermarket as a tenant, that shouldn't affect its viability. But having a space that is suitable for a supermarket doesn't mean that one will sign up and lease that space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 03:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 09:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is one allowed to be sceptical about developments that "could" include a supermarket?

As long as the project does not hinge on signing up a supermarket as a tenant, that shouldn't affect its viability. But having a space that is suitable for a supermarket doesn't mean that one will sign up and lease that space.

I was unclear - my scepticism relates to the likelihood of a supermarket, not to the development itself.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 03:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 03:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As long as the project does not hinge on signing up a supermarket as a tenant, that shouldn't affect its viability. But having a space that is suitable for a supermarket doesn't mean that one will sign up and lease that space.

I was unclear - my scepticism relates to the likelihood of a supermarket, not to the development itself.

Ah, yes. I'm confident that we'll get a mainstream (put possibly urban-sized) supermarket downtown. Some day. But whether it's in the next three, six or sixteen years, I really don't know.

In the meantime, grocery selection downtown is pretty decent now (SDM, J&P, Legacy Greens, the market, Hasty Market, New City and BT) so I'm not desperate. Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-11-2018

(11-10-2018, 09:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 01:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Looks like Vive Development is snatching up properties in the East end of DTK

According to this, they're calling it The Market Flats:

Where was the quote taken from?  Is this proposal still making progress toward a construction start in 2019?

https://www.rosecorp.com/investment/the-market-flats/

As for progress, I have no idea, this is the first I've heard of it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 11-21-2018

Windows going in to the new LCBO on King today, lights were on inside too. Whats the est completion date for this one?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-21-2018

(11-21-2018, 04:26 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Windows going in to the new LCBO on King today, lights were on inside too. Whats the est completion date for this one?

February opening date.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-21-2018

(11-21-2018, 04:26 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Windows going in to the new LCBO on King today, lights were on inside too. Whats the est completion date for this one?

What's the exterior cladding of the building?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 11-22-2018

(11-21-2018, 06:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

What's the exterior cladding of the building?

That's not on yet (at least not on the second story, which is all I could see from Charles St). But based on the earlier render, the same pale yellow brick used on most LCBO buildings

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-22-2018

(11-22-2018, 01:03 AM)GtwoK Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 06:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What's the exterior cladding of the building?

That's not on yet (at least not on the second story, which is all I could see from Charles St). But based on the earlier render, the same pale yellow brick used on most LCBO buildings

Good.  I was concerned it would be yet more grey/black brick or, worse, EIFS.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-22-2018

(11-22-2018, 01:03 AM)GtwoK Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 06:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What's the exterior cladding of the building?

Hopefully this, rather than the pale yellow EIFS used on some of the LCBO buildings.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-22-2018

I'm hoping for similar to the Uptown location

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 11-22-2018

This is the render of which I spoke. Hard to see, but there is a moire pattern that bricks are creating. I could've sworn there were more renders, but I can't find them atm

[Image: VjWwlQ9.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-23-2018

(11-21-2018, 06:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

February opening date.

According to the LCBO staff today, it's pushed back to an easter opening.

The current state of construction.:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-23-2018

Thanks for the photo update