Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-30-2018

LCBO construction at 332 King St W is progressing ...

[attachment=5710]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-30-2018

So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

(10-30-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

Based on the drawings, it looks like a walkway, not a driveway.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-30-2018

I had no idea there was such a gap. That's awful. It's King Street!! How is there no street wall.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-30-2018

(10-30-2018, 11:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: So, is the gap on the east side of the building meant for cars, or will it be a pedestrian walkway to the rear parking?

Based on the drawings, it looks like a walkway, not a driveway.

Here's hoping - the idea that there could be new "driveways" off King St in DTK strikes me as seriously small town.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JoeKW - 10-30-2018

I think the gap allows the neighbouring building to be torn down and fully use their space for a tower. I'm just guessing though.

(10-30-2018, 11:51 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I think the gap allows the neighbouring building to be torn down and fully use their space for a tower. I'm just guessing though.

You never know.  Although it doesn't give them a ton of extra space.  Are they the same owners?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 10-30-2018

This is also why it's so important to study our cycling infrastructure as a network. The parkway is a major barrier to cyclists and pedestrians, so rectifying it should have been forefront on the thoughts of city and regional planners. I don't buy for a minute that the MTO would have rebuild Victoria Street without some consultation with local municipalities. We've seen them include active transportation infrastructure elsewhere when rebuilding bridges, so I don't see why the same couldn't have happened here.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 10-30-2018

Isn't the gap going to be a little parkette?

(10-30-2018, 12:33 PM)Lens Wrote: Isn't the gap going to be a little parkette?

What??  Ugh I hope that's not the case.  That doesn't seem to fit.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 10-30-2018

I'd much rather a park than the parking lot I am anticipating.

It's definitely not a parking lot. A walkway with landscaping -- does that make it a parkette?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 10-30-2018

I don't know that there are any LCBOs with multiple cashouts. Given the small floorplate, I expect that rather than have a very long post-cashout guardrail area to go to both front and rear of building, the cashouts will send people to King Street, since you can't pull Northfield-style parking-lot-facing entryways in Downtown. So the open area might likely be an acknowledgement that they needed as much space as they built, didn't need the excess, and it will likely be angled parking I would suspect, maybe eventually sold off to whatever gets developed someday adjacent to the lot.

(10-30-2018, 01:39 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I don't know that there are any LCBOs with multiple cashouts. Given the small floorplate, I expect that rather than have a very long post-cashout guardrail area to go to both front and rear of building, the cashouts will send people to King Street, since you can't pull Northfield-style parking-lot-facing entryways in Downtown. So the open area might likely be an acknowledgement that they needed as much space as they built, didn't need the excess, and it will likely be angled parking I would suspect, maybe eventually sold off to whatever gets developed someday adjacent to the lot.

It's not parking. Really not parking. And really not even big enough for parking. Not even for angled parking. Really.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4910]

It's just a walkway to the back (and to the actual parking lot).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 10-30-2018

Thanks @tomh009, I have a pretty low bar Tongue.

Continuous storefront would definitely be better, but I'm just relieved it isn't a driveway/parking.