Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 02:18 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 12:02 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Seems like the Goodlife in Market Square is closing. Almost signed up for a membership there earlier this year, thankfully not. 

Surprised Market Square didnt fight to keep their anchor tenant in (cheaper rent or what have you). So that leaves what now, a jewellers and a salon? Surely this must be the catalyst for something to happen here.

Yeah, I almost signed a membership as well, I'll be right out now, they have "other locations" none of which are remotely reasonable to someone who doesn't own and drive a car, it's too bad because there's one near my work as well, there are a few other gyms downtown, but it's hard to justify when they're more expensive, and I can't go from work.

Well if the rumours are true it will be a fit4less in market square come April... I would guess from looking at the website that they don't have in-person instructors for the classes and a lot less staff and no personal trainers so that is why they're cheaper. If the equipment that's at goodlife now stays and it just turns into a fit4less it would still be a decent option, especially at the price fitforless charges.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 01:58 PM)clasher Wrote: I just did a 3 day trial last week and thought it was a really nice space for working out. I only want to lift weights and there was a lot of good gear there and I never waited for racks or bars. I liked the sauna too, but for the cost of a year's memberships I can get a basic bar, bench, power rack and a set of weights and still come out ahead. My partner is a member and they told her a fit4less is opening there in April. I guess they don't have classes there but I dunno what the difference is. I thought about going to the wreckroom but they only open at 9am so that's kind of a deal-killer for us, otherwise it sounds like an awesome place for lifting.

No, Fit4Less does not offer classes and the staff do not offer instruction or training assistance.  It is pretty much stripped down to do your own thing, although with abundant equipment.  The one I go to has cubicles for changing, some lockers in an open area and that's it.  For an additional cost, you have access to tanning and hydro-massage.  You also need an upgraded membership ($9.99 every 2 weeks?) if you want access to all locations.  I don't know if it's true of all locations, but the one I go to is open 24/7.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BruceAshe - 11-29-2018

Is Trios still in Market Square?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 04:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 01:58 PM)clasher Wrote: I just did a 3 day trial last week and thought it was a really nice space for working out. I only want to lift weights and there was a lot of good gear there and I never waited for racks or bars. I liked the sauna too, but for the cost of a year's memberships I can get a basic bar, bench, power rack and a set of weights and still come out ahead. My partner is a member and they told her a fit4less is opening there in April. I guess they don't have classes there but I dunno what the difference is. I thought about going to the wreckroom but they only open at 9am so that's kind of a deal-killer for us, otherwise it sounds like an awesome place for lifting.

No, Fit4Less does not offer classes and the staff do not offer instruction or training assistance.  It is pretty much stripped down to do your own thing, although with abundant equipment.  The one I go to has cubicles for changing, some lockers in an open area and that's it.  For an additional cost, you have access to tanning and hydro-massage.  You also need an upgraded membership ($9.99 every 2 weeks?) if you want access to all locations.  I don't know if it's true of all locations, but the one I go to is open 24/7.

There's one near Weber & Franklin and it's open 24/7 but only staffed part of the time the website says. It seems like my kind of place, if the goodlife equipment stays at market square it'll still be a solid place to workout. I am surprised they didn't wait until April to close... gonna miss out on all that sweet new year's resolution money.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 11-29-2018

Does anyone know what's happening with the 86 Cedar St tower on the hill? The white facade has been removed as have a bunch of the balcony railings. It looks like brick underneath so maybe it's being uncovered but maybe it's a reno?

Maybe it's just me but the rents look really high for what you get (unless it's being totally renovated): https://www.greenwin.ca/apartments-for-rent/89-cedar-st-s

https://goo.gl/maps/uSoRAxAYoBM2

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 05:17 PM)clasher Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 04:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: No, Fit4Less does not offer classes and the staff do not offer instruction or training assistance.  It is pretty much stripped down to do your own thing, although with abundant equipment.  The one I go to has cubicles for changing, some lockers in an open area and that's it.  For an additional cost, you have access to tanning and hydro-massage.  You also need an upgraded membership ($9.99 every 2 weeks?) if you want access to all locations.  I don't know if it's true of all locations, but the one I go to is open 24/7.

There's one near Weber & Franklin and it's open 24/7 but only staffed part of the time the website says. It seems like my kind of place, if the goodlife equipment stays at market square it'll still be a solid place to workout. I am surprised they didn't wait until April to close... gonna miss out on all that sweet new year's resolution money.

Yes, the place is open 24/7 but only staffed during the day.  There's portable "panic buttons" available if wanted for the off hours.  My place in Ottawa is pretty busy all day and new people seem to be coming in all the time to join.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 06:34 PM)Lens Wrote: Does anyone know what's happening with the 86 Cedar St tower on the hill? The white facade has been removed as have a bunch of the balcony railings. It looks like brick underneath so maybe it's being uncovered but maybe it's a reno?

Maybe it's just me but the rents look really high for what you get (unless it's being totally renovated): https://www.greenwin.ca/apartments-for-rent/89-cedar-st-s

The renovation has been ongoing for roughly two years. Last I checked the garage still wasn't done, but rental signs were up. The units do look nice on the photos. No photos of the interior common areas, though.

Maybe it's comparable/competitive with Woodside Terraces? It's maybe 500m closer to downtown and LRT, but monthly rents seem to be about $200 higher for similar units, based on some quick comparisons.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 02:41 PM)clasher Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 02:18 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yeah, I almost signed a membership as well, I'll be right out now, they have "other locations" none of which are remotely reasonable to someone who doesn't own and drive a car, it's too bad because there's one near my work as well, there are a few other gyms downtown, but it's hard to justify when they're more expensive, and I can't go from work.

Well if the rumours are true it will be a fit4less in market square come April... I would guess from looking at the website that they don't have in-person instructors for the classes and a lot less staff and no personal trainers so that is why they're cheaper. If the equipment that's at goodlife now stays and it just turns into a fit4less it would still be a decent option, especially at the price fitforless charges.

Well that is definitely good news! While I've thought about doing the personal trainer thing, I've never bothered before, the gym is not a place I really have any interest in interacting with anyone, even someone like a trainer.  Sadly, there is no fit4less gym anywhere near my work, but if it's cheap enough, I'd probably still use it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 11-29-2018

(11-29-2018, 10:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 06:34 PM)Lens Wrote: Does anyone know what's happening with the 86 Cedar St tower on the hill? The white facade has been removed as have a bunch of the balcony railings. It looks like brick underneath so maybe it's being uncovered but maybe it's a reno?

The renovation has been ongoing for roughly two years. Last I checked the garage still wasn't done, but rental signs were up. The units do look nice on the photos. No photos of the interior common areas, though.

Maybe it's comparable/competitive with Woodside Terraces? It's maybe 500m closer to downtown and LRT, but monthly rents seem to be about $200 higher for similar units, based on some quick comparisons.

Interesting, I have to say, when I used to walk up Cedar hill on my way to work, I always thought that would be a neat place to live, on the top of the hill.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 11-29-2018

At the Ion Station tour last weekend the GRT person also mentioned that they are still planning a storefront type kiosk. They didn't say at the mall, but I always assumed it would be in the mall across from the Ion station. So that would be another tenant.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-01-2018

(11-29-2018, 12:02 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Seems like the Goodlife in Market Square is closing. Almost signed up for a membership there earlier this year, thankfully not. 

Surprised Market Square didnt fight to keep their anchor tenant in (cheaper rent or what have you). So that leaves what now, a jewellers and a salon? Surely this must be the catalyst for something to happen here.

Today's Record reports that the Nordia call centre is also moving out of Market Square (to a Waterloo location), in March 2019.  Coincidence?  

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9060557-nordia-planning-move-to-new-call-centre-in-waterloo/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - timio - 12-01-2018

I spent 3 months working 411 at Nordia before they outsourced (and the summer before at the location near Sarnia, coincidentally in what used to be the school I had grade 7/8 in). Not a terrible job, and I enjoyed riding my bike up and down the parking garage with only one wipeout to speak of.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 12-01-2018

Great gym, layout and size. But the lack of users, zero personal trainers left and lackluster plumbing always pointed to it closing. Sux for me as I workout there. Nothing else walking distance and not much downtown. Nothing even close for me near home.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 12-02-2018

(12-01-2018, 09:47 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Great gym, layout and size. But the lack of users, zero personal trainers left and lackluster plumbing always pointed to it closing. Sux for me as I workout there. Nothing else walking distance and not much downtown. Nothing even close for me near home.

There are a few other athletic centres downtown including one across the street: http://kw-fitness.com/

and the KW raquet club also has a fitness centre.

I'm not sure how those are to use, if you try em out, lemme know Smile.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-02-2018

Lots more people moving downtown … but most condo buildings (and many newer apartment buildings) have their own fitness rooms. No instructors, but the basic equipment is enough for most people, making it more difficult for a downtown gym to find enough customers to be profitable.